advertisement

Nait

2N3055

pfm Member
Trying to understand the chronology and hierarchy of the Naim Nait. There seem to be so many models with numbers and suffixes. If one was looking at buying a used one, where would one start?

Can anyone point me to some resources detailing all the models?

https://www.naimaudio.com/product-history

65841-C38-3-CA1-4-A77-8-BB9-49-F10903-E82-E.jpg

Two more then since the handy article made with James from Tom Tom posted above. You can spot a 5i as it has a 3.5mm input on the fascia, while the still-current 5si adds a 6.3mm headphone output and more power.

The first NAIT, originally with a red led and smooth volume knob, is perhaps my favourite. The earliest NAIT 2 (made for only a year or so, and the only Naim with the illuminated original logo) is the most desirable; winning bids for the last ones on ebay, £1590 (not sure about that!), £920, £909. I’ve been using my olive NAIT 2 in preference to my excellent Brio R in recent months, and it wants for nothing.

Early NAITs on ebay are very pricy now, especially those offering worldwide delivery, and all would benefit from a service. I’ve never heard one, but the full-width NAIT 3/3R seems a little slept on...

I’ve never heard one, but the full-width NAIT 3/3R seems a little slept on...

Always have been, I am still kicking myself for not spending the extra £125 to get an R back in 1997.

Mine is also hooked up to an original pair of MkI Kans that my dad bought from new not long after they were released, circa 1983.

If one was looking at buying a used one, where would one start?

Depends on budget really
Early Naits are ridiculous expensive, now collectors item.
If you want a half width, look at Unitiqute or Rega Brio/IO

From Nait 3 it becomes reasonable value, Nait 5i is more pleasing to ear - more powerfull too, early XS can represent a good purchase, Supernait are more powerfull and with a Hicap, it sometime gives a hint of the separates.

New Naits are IMO far too expensive these days.

Always have been, I am still kicking myself for not spending the extra £125 to get an R back in 1997.

Mine is also hooked up to an original pair of MkI Kans that my dad bought from new not long after they were released, circa 1983.

Your post has me wanting one now. Can you remember how much yours was?

I bought a 5i (still got it) soon after launch when it was £699 and the 5 was briefly still available for maybe £850. The stripped-back newcomer sounded better to these ears... much livelier and more powerful-sounding than a 5 and even a 112/150.

Your post has me wanting one now. Can you remember how much yours was?

I'm thinking it something like £695, because I bought a CD3.5 at the same time and total was about £1,500 for both. I still have the CD3.5, but it won't read disks...

I think the 3R was £825 at guess. A friend bought the R and CD3.5 plus a pair of Credos after hearing my system

Yes Nail 3 good value great sound , Nait 2 CB lovely to look at but the last one i saw made over £1000.00 unserviced something you always have to take into account with naim kit !

FWIW, some list prices for Nait 3/3R:

August 1996:
3 - £549.90
3R - 724.98

September 1998:
3 - £590
3R - ££780

April 2000 (replaced by Nait 5 in November 2000 price list)
3 - £650
3R - £799

The XS is a lot for the money sounds decent on it own but can take a hicap or be used as a pre or power amp very flexible.

I got mine as a stop gap nearly 2 years later still in use

FWIW, some list prices for Nait 3/3R:

August 1996:
3 - £549.90
3R - 724.98

September 1998:
3 - £590
3R - ££780

April 2000 (replaced by Nait 5 in November 2000 price list)
3 - £650
3R - £799
That fits with my memory of having a demo of the 3 in about 97 and it being about £750. At the same time I demoed an Audiolab 8000 which I thought dull, a slightly cheaper Linn Intek which was really, really poor, and an Exposure 3020 that was the best of all. Then a mate brought round a battered Quad 33/303 that was better than any of the new stuff and available for about £100-150. The Pioneer A400 was sold and a Quad took its place.

The original nait 1 is nice (I had one for 30+yrs)
But silly expensive now and VERY limited input choices really

I've owned all the 1-5 Nait versions, some models more than once (Nait 1 2x, Nait 2 CB 1x, Nait 2 Olive 2x /one with MM, and another with CD, RCA inputs/, Nait 3 2x) before the 5si and must say it was the 3 that impressed me the most. this, perhaps, could partly be attributed to its higher power output than of its predecessors (30W/ch for the 3 vs. 12-15W/ch for the 1 and 2, depending on the source of the info), but IME the 3 was the most versatile of the bunch regarding ease with musical genres and compatibility with speakers. to note, I used the Naits with various Royd, Rega, Heybrook, and Triangle same-era speakers (but no Naim ones - they simply couldn't cut the mustard for me). additonally, I've never heard the R version but some people here in this forum said that it sounds even better than the plain-vanilla 3. hope it helps

We have a ‘Number 4’ in our road.
An ex. policeman lives there.
There is no ‘Number 13’, though.

The road in which I was brought up ( same town ) there was a ‘Number 13.’
Everything was fine there, no problems at all...

I also owned a Nait 2, now sold on to a PFM member.
Lovely amplifier, now replaced with a Quad 34/306.

advertisement

Back