advertisement

HiFi confessions

Hi-Fi Confessions -

I am consciously feeding my Grandchildren Hi-Fi and Music so that they develop an obsession that will continue through their lives.

This is going very well so far.

They are happy to have deep listening sessions with G-Dad.
They do not understand people who say that they do not like music.
One of the G-Kids can read music and is taking piano lessons.

:cool:

I have never demo’d anything at a dealer.
I don’t sit in the ‘sweet spot’ and prefer to sit off centre where I’m most comfortable.

iTunes via WiFi to 3 systems is fabulous, easy to use and perfectly good for enjoying music. Like the brilliant, but dementedly expensive, BeoLink that I like to think @Beobloke uses to go multi-room.

@George J and I once theorised in one of our rambling conversations that having heard a piece of music on a decent system your brain fills in the gaps when listening on a lesser replay option... I really don't care if this is true or not, it works for me.

Went to a love gig earlier this week... Artist I love... Listening at home now to the same guy...

Sounds better at home, sounds bloody amazing actually, as my setup is balanced, without off-elements or uber-bass, as per the gig.

Generally I prefer home music to live, unless it's very very well done (not always the case, especially in smaller places).

Yep, grenade pin pulled. Savage me people!!

Agree with the comments about Spotify, I stream through a phone to a Zen blue2 and the sq is very good. SInce buying the Zen I’ve listened to loads of different music, winner.

Went to a love gig earlier this week... Artist I love... Listening at home now to the same guy...

Sounds better at home, sounds bloody amazing actually, as my setup is balanced, without off-elements or uber-bass, as per the gig.

Generally I prefer home music to live, unless it's very very well done (not always the case, especially in smaller places).

Yep, grenade pin pulled. Savage me people!!

imho…

For SQ, live music often loses, esp. amplified music. The immersive intensity of a gig, if you see what I mean, usually comes from, well, being there. A hifi can’t do that and can’t let you separate the performers in your mind by using your eyes, but it can make up with much better SQ - unless the gig is unusually good in that respect.

Hi-Fi Confessions -

I am consciously feeding my Grandchildren Hi-Fi and Music so that they develop an obsession that will continue through their lives.

This is going very well so far.

They are happy to have deep listening sessions with G-Dad.
They do not understand people who say that they do not like music.
One of the G-Kids can read music and is taking piano lessons.

:cool:

I started with my 2 daughters 5 years apart placed their bouncer between quietly playing Quad 57,s then my son 16 years younger than his oldest sister. My oldest married a vinyl addict my other daughter married another music lover, my now 27 year old son as a technical college student built his own 4 nuvistor pre-amp & fixed the griplet problem & made the NOS modification on 2 Philips CD104 CDP, his & mine. My youngest daughters 11 & 8 year old grandsons are learning guitar & piano respectively my other daughters 18 year old grandson drums & 14 year old daughter not so much.

I started with my 2 daughters 5 years apart placed their bouncer between quietly playing Quad 57,s then my son 16 years younger than his oldest sister. My oldest married a vinyl addict my other daughter married another music lover, my now 27 year old son as a technical college student built his own 4 nuvistor pre-amp & fixed the griplet problem & made the NOS modification on 2 Philips CD104 CDP, his & mine. My youngest daughters 11 & 8 year old grandsons are learning guitar & piano respectively my other daughters 18 year old grandson drums & 14 year old daughter not so much.

I am holding off pushing vinyl with the G-Kids, but they see and hear me playing records frequently, so I figure it will happen.
Of my 3 kids, only one of them (The Daughter) digs her records. The Sons are more headphones/c.d’s and streaming, but that is partly down to their housing situations at the moment.
None of my offspring are tinkering fiends, that would be very handy though!

My first "proper" deck was a Strathearn stm4 ...universally panned as rubbish
My first proper amp was a amstrad 5050 ....see above
My speakers were wharfedale glendales...well I had to stumble on something that at least some people liked...

And do you know....I loved it

One of the first amps I had-A and R A60-is now our background music amp when we don't want to fire up 4 x 845s. My confession is that having loved it, I replaced it with a very expensive but sonically useless cool-looking Lynx Quasar when it got stolen

I’m listening to my simple (and cheap to me) Naim system in the lounge WAY more than my full Linn active system in my dedicated listening room… a couple of reasons for that, I’m battling the room acoustics in my listening room (bass issues) and the sofa is old and crap. The Naim system (fronted by either a CD5si or a Linn Numerik and Chromecast (streaming Qobuz/Tidal from and iPad Pro) sounds absolutely fantastic, the Numerik is 30 years old and can still blow a lot of modern DACs out of the water when it comes to sheer musical enjoyment… brilliant stuff, the whole system cost me around £1k… my main system was, erm, more than that.

I’m still hooked on much of the music my parents listened to.

CONFESSION: I still regularly enjoy ROGER WHITTAKER!

Guilty!!!

Whittaker has the most amazing voice, is a fantastic guitarist and his album production values would put most - not all - contemporary artists to shame.

If you can dig out a clean vinyl copy of 1978’s ROGER WHITTAKER “SINGS THE HITS” you will be left in no doubt. (Don’t waste time on the digital versions…)

Add that vinyl album to your audiophile “test tracks” collection… even if “Feelings” is still annoying and cringe-worthy. :D

Last edited:

advertisement

Back