advertisement

Audiophile Network Switches for Streaming ... really ?

In general I agree with you with everything you say there and certainly in the context of the digital source chain. “Bigger, wider soundstage”, probably more noise in the digital chain. “More detail and leading edge definition to notes”, probably more noise in the digital chain. “Percussion has more attack and is more lifelike”, probably more noise in the digital chain.
Last time labour this point, my apologies; you say "probably" quite a lot in your words above. It is simply your theory and that's fine, as long as you are also fine with people questioning that theory or asking you to prove it in a repeatable fashion. If there is no hard evidence then it will always be a theory and will also be questioned, and people have to be ready for that.

@Fourlegs, I have no idea what the difference could be with a switch, + or - noise or something else. I truly have no idea what, if any, real mechanism could be at play.

But mostly IME it's usually change rather than a measured improvement when one fiddles about.

I have my issues with the moderation of "The Wam", but I'm so glad they put an end to this sort of bullshit.

I’m not quite sure what you mean by ‘this sort of bullshit’ If you mean posts which disagree with what you think then unfortunately you have just reinforced @Sue Pertwee-Tyr point nr 2 above.

Further if you are condoning mod action on another forum to remove or shut down threads which discuss hifi theories which are at odds with what the mods personally think/believe then that might explain some of the things that are wrong over at the other place. I might not agree with some of the views of some posters here but I will always defend their right to voice them.

Last time labour this point, my apologies; you say "probably" quite a lot in your words above.

Your apologies are accepted. I say probably quite a lot because I cannot exclude the possibility that I might be wrong. I am sort of hoping that the use of ‘probably’ might catch on with some other people who post on here.

I wrote this some weeks? ago but I will write it again.

To the best of my knowledge there are no digital audio experts participating in this thread.
I tend to trust experts and in this case my go to expert is Jussi Laako, who has acknowledged the existence of noise in the network, defends the use of UTP cables and a switch between router and servers/streamers, but dismisses the need for audiophiles

I’m not quite sure what you mean by ‘this sort of bullshit’ If you mean posts which disagree with what you think then unfortunately you have just reinforced @Sue Pertwee-Tyr point nr 2 above.

Further if you are condoning mod action on another forum to remove or shut down threads which discuss hifi theories which are at odds with what the mods personally think/believe then that might explain some of the things that are wrong over at the other place. I might not agree with some of the views of some posters here but I will always defend their right to voice them.

Just to be clear, it takes a lot for a thread to be closed down on the Wam. I think you are very aware also of the discussions that were had about trader contributions to threads, and creations of threads. I will leave it there and have chosen not to participate in this thread despite being a regular contributor on PFM.

Just to be clear, it takes a lot for a thread to be closed down on the Wam. I think you are very aware also of the discussions that were had about trader contributions to threads, and creations of threads. I will leave it there and have chosen not to participate in this thread despite being a regular contributor on PFM.

Its better these days definitely, but you sure do still have a couple of sanctimonious pricks on the moderating team. Just to be clear.

I wrote this some weeks? ago but I will write it again.

To the best of my knowledge there are no digital audio experts participating in this thread.
I tend to trust experts and in this case my go to expert is Jussi Laako, who has acknowledged the existence of noise in the network, defends the use of UTP cables and a switch between router and servers/streamers, but dismisses the need for audiophiles
We all acknowledged that there will be noise, wires are aerials. It is whether that noise affects the sound, which, other than anecdotal evidence hasn't been proved.

And the lovely graph we had earlier, proves that it doesn't, so please using the same presentation medium present something that proves that it does.

"Even when the experts all agree, they may well be mistaken. Einstein’s view as to the magnitude of the deflection of light by gravitation would have been rejected by all experts not many years ago, yet it proved to be right. Nevertheless the opinion of experts, when it is unanimous, must be accepted by non-experts as more likely to be right than the opposite opinion.
The scepticism that I advocate amounts only to this: (1) that when the experts are agreed, the opposite opinion cannot be held to be certain; (2) that when they are not agreed, no opinion can be regarded as certain by a non-expert; and (3) that when they all hold that no sufficient grounds for a positive opinion exist, the ordinary man would do well to suspend his judgment.
These propositions may seem mild, yet, if accepted, they would absolutely revolutionize human life.
The opinions for which people are willing to fight and persecute all belong to one of the three classes which this scepticism condemns. When there are rational grounds for an opinion, people are content to set them forth and wait for them to operate. In such cases, people do not hold their opinions with passion; they hold them calmly, and set forth their reasons quietly. The opinions that are held with passion are always those for which no good ground exists; indeed the passion is the measure of the holder’s lack of rational conviction.”
(Bertrand Russel, Sceptical Essays (1928), Introduction: On the Value of Scepticism, p. 12)
I think he was talking about experts.

I have my issues with the moderation of "The Wam", but I'm so glad they put an end to this sort of bullshit.
I thought there was some sort of unwritten meta-forum rule, or even apparently aligned AUPs, which stopped one forum’s angst from polluting other forums.

We all acknowledged that there will be noise, wires are aerials. It is whether that noise affects the sound, which, other than anecdotal evidence hasn't been proved.

And the lovely graph we had earlier, proves that it doesn't, so please using the same presentation medium present something that proves that it does.
Why don’t you stop asking for graphs and take up the generous offer to be part of the anecdotal.

Can you remind me what is your area of expertise?

Can you remind me what is your area of expertise?
A scientist, if you want to be personal about it. Done DSP work, audio work, video and audio compression, character recognition, voice processing and I'm not a sheep.

Do you want my CV as you seem to have summarily dismissed anyone, in this thread or otherwise, other than your god, what's-his-name of knowing anything about this subject. Other people know about this stuff, but don't feel the need publish it on the internet.

Oh, and I know how to conduct experiments.

To this date you have not answered anyone of my questions I've asked you in this thread; so I'm winning 1-0 :)

advertisement

Back