advertisement

What’s your Naim ?

Joe,

I thought we agreed to call those 'skullets'.

Craig

P.S. Ah, no amp, I get it. We can reserve skullet for Crosley (Fisher Price?) into the likes of DBLs.

Craig,

That sounds right, and the skillet is a perfect system for playing Kim Mitchell records.

Joe

I started off with 32.5/110, upgraded to 72/140, then downsized to one box with a Uniti, which was great, until the CD drive broke and I was told it was unrepairable, so went to a Star, which is where I am now, because of the CD player.
I miss the flexibility and simplicity of the Uniti, and it eventually transpired that it could be repaired, it was and sold on. The extra power of the Star is welcome, but don't care for the restrictions on cd playback.

with a Uniti, which was great, until the CD drive broke and I was told it was unrepairable, so went to a Star,

A brave move, hope for you they don't message the same issue when the Star fail.

I've never been a fan of multiple functions in one box, nevertheless upstairs I went for a SuperUniti,:cool: added a Rega CD player which is supported in future.

Well, I have been a Naim devotee for the last 20 years. I have have had...
- CD3.5 then CDX then CDS2 then CDS3 and still a CDi (can't sell it as it's so engaging)
- 92/90 then 72/140 then 82/250 then 52/3 x 250 then 552 and 300DR. I will take the plunge one day and buy the 500DR.
- Credo/SBL/DBL (the latter two run actively)
My overall favourites are the DBLs, the CDi and the 552.

I've had the early 72 which came with installed variable cards, sounded muffled so changed to fixed (empty) cards.
Later on got a CD Nac 72 which was one on the very latest - no cards in CD input, a truly splendid preamp.

I suspect there may have been an impedance mismatch or something with the variable cards.

When found my 72 for sale is was actually fitted with a nice pair of internal jumper cables rather than the PCB card with the push in sockets. Mine came fitted with the MM Cards only. A local dealer in Melbourne was able to sell me some MC cards at an quite attractive price. He told me that in Australia the MM cards are rare. He also showed me a draw in his workshop where he had a heap of MC cards and they were plentiful to the point of being considered junk when compared to the more unusual MM cards.

LPSpinner.

A brave move, hope for you they don't message the same issue when the Star fail.

I've never been a fan of multiple functions in one box, nevertheless upstairs I went for a SuperUniti,:cool: added a Rega CD player which is supported in future.
Thanks, PerF, I'm hoping to avoid a repeat, too, perhaps the slot loader will last longer. I may have thought of an alternative, had I known about the CD playback foibles, but I'm used to it now. It's handy using the USB hard drive (overestimated at 2tb, but never mind), being able to change tracks so quickly. Had the Superuniti had CD drive it would have been a no-brainer.

Naim IBLs for me (currently powered by a Musical Fidelity A1 < AACD3)

Also have a AACD3 and a boxed SNAXO2-4 in case later I want to go active with the IBLs

Intrigued to try a Supernait1 if one comes up at the right price.

Prefix, 102, hi-cap, hicap, CB 250, CD2, IBLs, SBLs.

Also got an IXO, a second 250 and two hicaps to add when I can be bothered.

NDS/552/300->Ovator 400s. The NDS’s 555PS and the 552PS are DR’ed, but not the 300PS. SuperLine/SCDR for vinyl. My setup has been unchanged for about 10 years.

If I had to pick, the 552 preamp would be my favorite component (i.e., most significant upgrade IMO), but they’ve all performed admirably. The only problem I ever had was with the SuperLine and, after an attempt to fix it failed, it was replaced (just outside the warranty period) at no charge.

My only regret is that I’ve fallen out of touch with my favorite Naim dealer, Venice Audio. The owner Peter is a great guy, but he’s very busy, and I don’t think it’s fair to take up his time just to chat.

Started off with a Nait XS, then 282/250, then 252/300. Have listened to lots of other setups, but no urgency to upgrade or do something different. That may change if/when we move from our house to a townhouse or condo.

Favorite a 1986 Nait 1 owned till last year.

Runner ups I enjoyed immensely (no particular order):
NAC72 with NJ cards, CD5, SBLs, nSats & nDac

Others in a supporting role
Hicap, NAP180, NAP140, Hi-Line, Nait 3 & Flatcap

Stinkers
Original Headline & NACA 5 (was the silly stiff jacket a test of Naimee's brand loyalty?)

Many fond memories but only nDac and HiLine remain and are close to the Exit sign....

Then nac72/140 nice but not the improvement over the 92/90 I thought it would be ….. anyway not complaining in the scheme of things both were very good !…

Olive 250, serviced every 15 years or so, since about 1990.

Hicap - I remember Jude at Grahams having to explain slowly and carefully why it could possibly deliver that difference in sound.

52. The 82 was to me very good indeed, but (like the 282) could be made to sound a bit uninvolving at low volume and a bit splashy and ill-disciplined when loud, so very like a grown-up 72. While not being quite as quiet in background as a recent 252 costing £7500, here's the list of a 52's meaningful failings:-

!

Nait3 > Supernait I, returned due to hum issues > 152/155 > DAC-V1/NAP100 > original Nait3 > Atom
Nait3 still in use in the dining room.

It's my Naim so I can do what I like. 32.5 full RSL conversion. HiCap with dual Teddy regs. 2x NAP 110, minicap 6 + NCC 220 in each. All original boards carefully filed away, with instructions for executers to ask for advice on here about returning to stock or otherwise to get the best resale price when I croak!

advertisement

Back