advertisement

Ukraine V

This is where I give up trying to comprehend the USA. A murderous dictator launches an unprovoked war on a neighbouring country and they approvingly chant his name? :eek: What's going on over there?
Those are the extreme, even here. They are not 'the USA.' On the other hand, Trump had dinner with Fuentes....

(on edit) ....but this really belongs in the Trump thread. Will continue there.

Zambian student jailed in Moscow on drug charges achieves redemption through heroic death in Ukraine, sort of-

“Lemekhani Nathan Nyirenda, 23, “died a hero” fighting with Russian forces, Prigozhin said on Telegram”.

Apparently died attacking enemy trenches though sledgehammer to the head or bullet in the back can’t be ruled out

One of my favourite ukrainian vloggers Anna from Ukraine would like help setting up social media accounts to help spread her messages on ukraine. I am useless at this kind of thing so am of no help.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCi...unity?lb=UgkxDasUF3beSrHUyWLHp29UAMyZQ2LU2acY

She is a a very good person and deserves support. if you don’t know her, check out her channel. maybe a social media savvy PFMer might be interested in helping her? I think she might want moderation help too.

This is quite extraordinary- the Ukrainians have successfully attacked a strategic nuclear airbase deep inside Russia:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ases-hit-by-explosions?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Russian fascist bloggers are seething at the military high command over the humiliation and calling for nuclear war. The rats are fighting in the sack. Sugoi will end up going the way of many others- bailing from a tenth floor balcony without a parachute or shooting himself ten times.

This is quite extraordinary- the Ukrainians have successfully attacked a strategic nuclear airbase deep inside Russia:

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...ases-hit-by-explosions?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Russian fascist bloggers are seething at the military high command over the humiliation and calling for nuclear war. The rats are fighting in the sack. Sugoi will end up going the way of many others- bailing from a tenth floor balcony without a parachute or shooting himself ten times.
I was just musing to myself today about how Ukraine would be very motivated to strike back at Russia for all these missile attacks on civilian infrastructure. Have seen no actual damage assessments however. Never do an enemy a small hurt, as the saying goes....

The point of the attack is, I suspect, physchological, given that they did it, and may do similar again. Also makes the point that "You target civilians. We go for military targets." So, overall, a smart more I think.

Given that the Ukrainians now seem to have *also* started being able to deploy improve ant-missile kit this seems a good approach. Should make Putin's buchers a bit more nervious about following orders. Just a shame for the POB who Putin is calling up to die for him.

The point of the attack is, I suspect, physchological, given that they did it, and may do similar again. Also makes the point that "You target civilians. We go for military targets." So, overall, a smart more I think.

Given that the Ukrainians now seem to have *also* started being able to deploy improve ant-missile kit this seems a good approach. Should make Putin's buchers a bit more nervious about following orders. Just a shame for the POB who Putin is calling up to die for him.
Requires the Russians to invest substantial resources to beef up defenses for lots of targets. Could weaken air defenses at warfront.

Yes. Russia is now also a "Target rich environment" for the Ukrainians to play tunes in. If they stick to military targets they can also claim the moral high ground as they go out to play. Unlike Putin.

Future textbooks may discuss this as a way to examine our learning curve wrt optimal use of drones in a land-war.

The bases attacked housed Russian strategic bombers which were firing cruise missiles at Ukraine from high altitude above Russian territory but the greater strategic importance to Ukraine (beyond responding to these attacks) is the presence of air refuelling tankers which are limited in number and very difficult to replace. Their destruction would be the air equivalent of the successful strikes on their ground supply nodes such as rail junctions.

Russia is attacking Kyiv, Gordan, what would be the moral objections to Ukraine attacking Moscow?
Russia is the true victim here. It was a trick to get them to carry out their bungled invasion of Ukraine with tens of thousands killed and Ukrainian villages, towns and cities turned to rubble. Also someone must have put the constant stream of fascist rhetoric into their mouths: “Ukraine isn’t a real country, it’s president is a Nazi as well as a Jew, let’s nuclear bomb London and Berlin” etc

Russia is attacking Kyiv, Gordan, what would be the moral objections to Ukraine attacking Moscow?
The moral objection at least to me is that Moscow as a city is a civilian target and attacking it is a war crime. Meanwhile attacking a military base is not. So the question would be what in Moscow is being attacked; a military base would be ok, the Kreml would not be.

AFAIK is not even considered an offensive operation by the UN if it is a base from where the enemy attacks you from. Striking back at that base to stop the attacks is a defensive operation. This would include Engels-2 but nothing in Moscow.

This opinion piece from Newsweek reads like some russian propaganda

https://apple.news/AEOhYiz3dSeK9yg0OCccvpQ

The authors make a lot of predictions that seem at odds with what most other people
The moral objection at least to me is that Moscow as a city is a civilian target and attacking it is a war crime. Meanwhile attacking a military base is not. So the question would be what in Moscow is being attacked; a military base would be ok, the Kreml would not be.

AFAIK is not even considered an offensive operation by the UN if it is a base from where the enemy attacks you from. Striking back at that base to stop the attacks is a defensive operation. This would include Engels-2 but nothing in Moscow.

I agree with you, you are correct.

However, if ukrainian drones are accurate enough to strike an airfield, are they accurate enough to target the Kremlin buildings? Its a very tempting thought even though it would be the wrong thing to do.

advertisement

Back