advertisement

2nd hand cd players.....

Johnny72

pfm Member
I'm looking to buy a 2nd hand cd player... I had a Naim CDS for some time, but wish to move on from the Naim brand.
I listen to anything from Cat Stevens to Metallica and everything in between.....
I feel a budget of around £400.00 should suffice .
I use a pass labs int-60 amp.
Alchris AR-4 speakers along with a small rel subwoofer.
Also have a Audiolab D-MAC.. DAC I can add if needed.
Would like a player that can reveal Bass.....
Any thoughts ?????

If you've got the AudioLab DAC why not partner it with the CDT6000 transport? They have a good rep and can be had new within your budget.
This every time. Plus it will be brand new so no transport worries...... And you can upgrade the dac whenever something new that interests you comes, along.

Another vote for the REGA.

The WOLFSON DAC chipset used on the better REGA models is very organic sounding, and the REGA manual top-loading “hatches” never give problems like the electronic CD slots and drawers eventually do.

Last edited:
At the risk of being burned at the stake for heresy, if you are using the CD player with an external dac, what’s the issue in using an affordable cd / dvd / Blu-ray player with a digital out? It’s only a transport…

At the risk of being burned at the stake for heresy, if you are using the CD player with an external dac, what’s the issue in using an affordable cd / dvd / Blu-ray player with a digital out? It’s only a transport…

A quote from John Westlake:

"I've been working with DVD player recently and have yet to find one that gives a "Bit Accurate" Digital output.

Some players seem to attenuate the output by a fraction of a dB, and / or have "Dynamic Range compression", lower level signals are “Bit Accurate”, but higher levels become compressed.

Try to use a CD player as the transport - also the Jitter from the DVD player is also much higher."

Others would argue that any decent modern DAC is agnostic to the quality of the transport.

The ergonomics of DVD players are generally really poor for CD replay and they are slow to load up compared to a CD player. If all you ever do is drop a disc in, press play and return to your chair, then you might not be worried by this. If you use the remote to skip tracks etc it sooon gets tiresome listening to the thing chuntering away while it works out what to play next.

The ergonomics of DVD players are generally really poor for CD replay and they are slow to load up compared to a CD player. If all you ever do is drop a disc in, press play and return to your chair, then you might not be worried by this. If you use the remote to skip tracks etc it sooon gets tiresome listening to the thing chuntering away while it works out what to play next.
Yes, that is true. I have an old Technics sl-pg490 CD player that I recently resurrected from storage. I used its analogue outs into my Cambridge CXA80 and it sounded horribly bright. I did not have a spare digital input to test with but I will now to see how it sounds. It has a remote as well!

I love to believe that DVD player would do a proper job just like a cd player cause I have 3 excess DVD player lying around. But no, I can hear the difference in my modest system. The CTD6000 is the best bet these days, the street price is actually lower than 2 yrs ago because the newer model is coming out.

I love to believe that DVD player would do a proper job just like a cd player cause I have 3 excess DVD player lying around. But no, I can hear the difference in my modest system. The CTD6000 is the best bet these days, the street price is actually lower than 2 yrs ago because the newer model is coming out.
Is that using its internal DAC or an external one?

advertisement

Back