advertisement

Exploring Roon

Steve, actually REW is now pretty much plug and play, you have to send its measurement tone through your speakers ( as you already have) and then press the ‘EQ’ button that’s about it, the software does have tons of extra functionality but you just need a few filters to correct the bass response of your room.
The important thing though is that the filters are improving the SQ of your room/system.
Keith

Roon is great, I need to get a new core, so I think k I’ve settled on getting a Mac Mini M1, I will have it connected to my main TV, and I prefer the on screen display from a conputer rather than a firestick. If any Roon experts would like to offer advice it’s appreciate it!!

what video output does a Newcleus have? …. Although Roon really annoy me, as all of their Neucleus offers are USA only!!. :(
I’m now running Roon headlessly on a Mac mini M1 and am absolutely content with it. My TV is in a different room to my hifi, but if it wasn’t it would offer a great interface. As it stands I or my wife use whatever iPhone or iPad is at hand to control it. I happened to have the Mac mini already; I considered a Nucleus but I am in Europe so it would have virtually no support, whereas I have an Apple Store a bus ride away. True the Nucleus is fanless and the Macmini M1 isn’t, but I have never heard the fan running even close to - it is such a powerful machine and Roon is a tiny load I doubt the fan comes on. Plus, if you go off Roon, a Macmini will still have many handy uses - in your case a streaming hub for Apple TV, Netflix, Amazon and whatever else. Go for it!

I initially ran the Roon Core on my iMac alongside a copy of the Roon control interface.
When the collection got too big I moved to a Synology 420+ NAS while keeping control interfaces on iMac, iPhone and iPad.
No problems on either choice :)

If anyone knows of such a thing, I'd be interested in a fanless case for NUC with four slots for SSDs...

The Synology has this fan and I can hear the b*****d from my chair late at night despite it being in a box. The average NUC fanless case seems only to have two SDD emplacements, quality SSDs are supposedly only available up to 4Tb and I already have nearly that much music...

I initially ran the Roon Core on my iMac alongside a copy of the Roon control interface.
When the collection got too big I moved to a Synology 420+ NAS while keeping control interfaces on iMac, iPhone and iPad.

If anyone knows of such a thing, I'd be interested in a fanless case for NUC with four slots for SSDs...

The Synology has this fan and I can hear the b*****d from my chair late at night despite it being in a box. The average NUC fanless case seems only to have two SDD emplacements, quality SSDs are supposedly only available up to 4Tb and I already have nearly that much music...

Hi Nigel
There’s this
https://www.cirrus7.com/en/

Maybe if Spotify finally delivered on their promise of 'lossless' that would change?
The fact is that both Tidal and/or Qobuz integrate seamlessly into a single library with the Sense app - and it's free.
Well you need a subscription to either & I already have a family one with Spotify.

Seems many LMS users haven't discovered the artist info plugin with lyrics, album review, artist bio and suggested similar artists (from Allmusic.com?). Seems they haven't discovered the seamless integration of online streaming services

While I'm prepared to admit that it is possible that user error may be involved somewhere, I have usually failed to get any useful information despite having the plugins installed. I would like it to work but too often LMS comes back "no info available".

Playing with Roon tonight I can see how easy it would be to find myself going down a rabbit hole of connections between artists etc.

Not sure why you need that Nigel. I have a fanless i5 NUC as a ROCK and an 8TB spinny disc hanging of it but could just as easy connect 4 external SSDs. Everything is backed up to a NAS plus a further copy on hard drives.

Not sure why you need that Nigel. I have a fanless i5 NUC as a ROCK and an 8TB spinny disc hanging of it but could just as easy connect 4 external SSDs. Everything is backed up to a NAS plus a further copy on hard drives.
What fanless case are you using?

An Akasa…looking at their website nearly all the cases support 4 external drives, some more.

I've been using Roon for years. Love it.
I'm surprised that no one's mentioned the new functionality that allows you to stream to say your iPhone whilst away from home, with your Roon core as the source. That was a rather cool surprise.

Seems many LMS users haven't discovered the artist info plugin with lyrics, album review, artist bio and suggested similar artists (from Allmusic.com?)

Interestingly enough I've been having a look at this again. I'm getting much better results now, LMS has recently been updated to 8.3, I wonder if that is a factor.

advertisement

Back