advertisement

Component contribution to sound

RoA

pfm Member
This is how I would assess the different main links in the chain to contribute to sound in my systems. Feel free to disagree ... which will almost certainly happen!

Source Digital/DAC - 15%

Amplifier - 25%

Speakers - 40%

Room - 15%

Cables - 5%

Ear syringing, grid condition, mental wellbeing etc etc not taken into account. Add/delete at your pleasure ...

Speakers 40%

Amp 30%

Source/DAC 20%

Tweaks (cables, stands, isolators etc.) 10%

Apart from ear syringing, the room and speaker placement are not taken into account.

Speakers 45%
Room correction DSP device 25%
Amplifier 15%
Digital sources 14%
cables 1%

My system's sound is defined by its Duevel Venus omnidirectional speakers. The Primare A34.2 power amp is their ideal partner. A DSPeaker Anti-Mode 2.0 couples the resulting sound to the room very well. Other components play their part without letting the rest down.

Software Recording / Mastering - 40%
My system tells me, more than any other I have had, what is in the recording. As far as one can tell, anyway (we have no way of knowing exactly how the recording was intended to sound).

Whether that is a good thing is open to debate... it does wonderful service to 1940s Telefunken orchestral recordings, though.

Good Evening All,

You can't really contribute to a thread where people believe speakers are more important than the source....................... pin removed, grenade rolled......

Regards

Richard

I hope that's a genuine Klyde Built grenade.

I'm of the view that a high performing, system agnostic, digital front end, need not be expensive, so yup most of the system sound is down to speakers and room.

Back in the late 60's early 70's there were two schools of thought .. average system plus good speakers .. or good system plus average speakers
The best and cheapest upgrade to any system is to find the optimum position for your speakers in your listening environment

For audio satisfaction…read ASR or similar
Buy the cheapest crap you can find that measures “well”
Never read a mag or listen to any other systems
Result…your system is “superb” and can’t be improved.
Next step is to repeat your mantra on the web ad nauseum.

advertisement

Back