advertisement

The 2023 Formula One Season

I answered your question, answer mine perhaps? Why does it not surprise you that I don't like Lewis Hamitlon?

You don't know either of them, beyond the fact that one is a seven times champion and the other a possible future champion. Both are English, but only one is "irritating." I don't know Rich, you tell me. I know nothing of either guy, beyond those facts. As a British F1 fan, I tend to support British drivers.

I do admire Lewis, mainly because if you take the time to check - his driving success rate at all ages and levels is nothing short of astounding. Pretty much unmatched by anyone - unless you can point to a similar pre-F1 record.

Given where he came from and how he started, it is all the more remarkable. To a point where, when so called British F1 fans go through whatever contortions they need to dislike him, it leaves me wondering why that would be. I cannot imagine another British driver, past of present, who would not have had almost universal support among Brit F1 fans and they could only have dreamed of achieving a smidge of what he has. So I don't know Rich, you tell me what is so "irritating" about him.

Last edited:
You don't know either of them, beyond the fact that one is a seven times champion and the other a possible future champion. Both are English, but only one is "irritating." I don't know Rich, you tell me.
His stupid clothes, his hair transplant and his lack of personality......I'm quite open with you. So please do elaborate, why do you think I don't like him?

His stupid clothes, his hair transplant and his lack of personality.

Lame indeed. Like any of that affects his record, his pride in representing his country or his ability. As for his personality - what the fvck do you or I know of that? I do know that last year when they had to actually fix the result of a GP to stop him winning an eighth WDC he handled the rather obvious injustice in a way that I doubt we would have seen from many.

Nigel Mansell had some well documented issues around personality, I don't recall the amount of hostility from sections of his own so-called F1 fans.

Last edited:
Hamilton has spoken at length about the struggles his father went through to pay for his early career and about the racism he experienced as a youngster in karting and later in single-seaters. He has been very committed to tackling diversity issues in F1 and motorsport in general, with the full support of Mercedes. He has spent his own money on addressing this and successfully encouraged others to do so as well. Sadly, I agree with SteveS1 that some fans carefully choose acceptable reasons to dislike him. Personally, I think what he has done to bring diversity issues to the fore in F1 and motorsport over the last few years would be admirable alone, that he has done so whilst winning a world championship, losing one after a season-long battle and coping with the 2022 Merc, demonstrates to me what an amazing person he is.

We don't get to see him 'off duty', but I've been impressed this season by how well Hamilton has conducted himself, how gracious he's been about the car and what a team player he is. And on the few occasions the car allowed, he demonstrated all the old fire and skill. Mercedes could have a real handful next year. Here's hoping.

His stupid clothes, his hair transplant and his lack of personality......

I guess you don't like his charity work, his self funded commission in eradicating racism in F1, his funding of driver academies for underprivileged kids, his usage of his platform to fight for human rights, his fight against oppression, prejudice and racism every step of his career, his dad that drove that and still shuck the hand of the VER's when his title was stolen...instead, you find him irritating as he has cooler clothes than you, has a hairstyle that echoes his native roots and his calm and respectful personality...not to mention winning eight (7) world championships in the process. What an irritant.

I think it says more about you than Lewis here. Exposed yourself quite well there, and will be set in stone on the internet forever more.

Ah well, it took less than two pages for the thread to descend into the usual childish nonsense, once again ... I'm out!

Lame indeed. Like any of that affects his record, his pride in representing his country or his ability. As for his personality - what the fvck do you or I know of that? I do know that last year when they had to actually fix the result of a GP to stop him winning an eighth WDC he handled the rather obvious injustice in a way that I doubt we would have seen from many.

Nigel Mansell had some well documented issues around personality, I don't recall the amount of hostility from sections of his own so-called F1 fans.
so finally are you going to tell me why you are not surprised that i don't like him?

I guess you don't like his charity work, his self funded commission in eradicating racism in F1, his funding of driver academies for underprivileged kids, his usage of his platform to fight for human rights, his fight against oppression, prejudice and racism every step of his career, his dad that drove that and still shuck the hand of the VER's when his title was stolen...instead, you find him irritating as he has cooler clothes than you, has a hairstyle that echoes his native roots and his calm and respectful personality...not to mention winning eight (7) world championships in the process. What an irritant.

I think it says more about you than Lewis here. Exposed yourself quite well there, and will be set in stone on the internet forever more.
i'm not perfect and there are plenty of other famous people that i find irritating.....i'm not alone here.

If Ferrari have any hope of a championship, they need to find a Ross brawn style technical director ..the era of Schumacher/ Brawn is long gone but they have proved they can produce a very competitive car , I don’t think le clerk is quiet up to monster max in terms of self believe but will be able to run him close with the right car .

You don't know either of them, beyond the fact that one is a seven times champion and the other a possible future champion. Both are English, but only one is "irritating." I don't know Rich, you tell me. I know nothing of either guy, beyond those facts. As a British F1 fan, I tend to support British drivers.

I do admire Lewis, mainly because if you take the time to check - his driving success rate at all ages and levels is nothing short of astounding. Pretty much unmatched by anyone - unless you can point to a similar pre-F1 record.

Given where he came from and how he started, it is all the more remarkable. To a point where, when so called British F1 fans go through whatever contortions they need to dislike him, it leaves me wondering why that would be. I cannot imagine another British driver, past of present, who would not have had almost universal support among Brit F1 fans and they could only have dreamed of achieving a smidge of what he has. So I don't know Rich, you tell me what is so "irritating" about him.

Great resource here ...F1 aside next time I root for a baseball team, or a golfer, professional mud wrestler or whatever I'll be sure to check with you first if I'm rooting correctly for the right guy or gal or state or country, how do you feel about horses? I'm not a Lewis fan either, or an Alonzo fan FWIW but I can appreciate their skills and can give credit where credit is due, was a huge Masa fan back when he had a run at the championship, that OK with you??

If Ferrari have any hope of a championship, they need to find a Ross brawn style technical director ..the era of Schumacher/ Brawn is long gone but they have proved they can produce a very competitive car , I don’t think le clerk is quiet up to monster max in terms of self believe but will be able to run him close with the right car .
Well apparently some Italian media this weekend "revealed" Ross Brown will succeed Matia Binotto

Great resource here ...Next time I route for a baseball team, or a golfer, or a professional mud wrestler I'll be sure to check with you first if I'm routing correctly for the right guy or gal or state or country.. I'm not a Lewis fan either, or an Alonzo fan FWIW, was a huge Masa fan back when he had a run at the championship, that OK with you??

Seriously, there are one or two people on this forum who dislike Lewis Hamilton for the darkest reason, it's as simple as that. There are huge numbers of 'fans' around the world who despise Lewis Hamilton because of his skin colour. This year, in the US, a racing driver of colour had a noose left in his pit garage.

So, don't pretend for one second that these people don't exist.

I try my best to be part of the solution. Former friends at work have disowned me because I support the anti-racism movement that Lewis Hamilton is a part of.

It's a strange world, F1. Full of extremes. We just didn't know about the racism until a black kid showed that he was, and is, a special talent and a very nice person.

We'll get there one day, I hope.

Ross brawn has made a career out of winning and serial retirement!… punctuated by fly fishing !

Great resource here ...F1 aside next time I root for a baseball team, or a golfer, professional mud wrestler or whatever I'll be sure to check with you first if I'm routing correctly for the right guy or gal or state or country, how do you feel about horses? I've been known to route for them too, especiall.. I'm not a Lewis fan either, or an Alonzo fan FWIW, also wasn't a Ricciardo was a huge Masa fan back when he had a run at the championship, that OK with you??

You're confusing me with someone who cares what you think.

advertisement

Back