advertisement

AV advice

tiggers

pfm Member
In my partner's place in London I have a Naim/Neat system integrated with the TV. The main system is a 202/200 into Neat Motive SX2s and the AV part of it is an ageing Naim AV2/Main NAP V175/Naim n-Cent, n-Sats and n-Sub speaker system to give a 5:1 surround. It's old tech as far as AV goes I know but it works well enough and adds to the film and TV experience quite nicely.

I am half way through the renovation of my property in Norfolk and will soon be onto wiring so have started thinking about AV for the main living room. I want to integrate with with my main system which is Schitt Freya into ATC SCM40As so was thinking of adding an external AV processor and 5 channel amplification with an active sub to give 7:1 surround. However I am these days clueless on the equipment for AV so was wondering if anyone had any recommendations. I would in all likelihood use ATC speakers/sub (secondhand), but need some recommendations on the processor/amplification front. I don't want to go mad budget wise, but happy to look at sensible options to partner the quality of the main system. Also very happy to buy pre-owned rather than new.

Can anyone recommend anything?

There is a major change in the AV world between "traditional" 5.1/7.1 systems driven by AC3/DTS (and their hi-res counterparts) and the new world of object-based Atmos (and competitors) systems which include facilities for overhead speakers, etc. but are of course still capable of running the older codecs.

If you decide to go the traditional route then you have a wide range of likely well-priced and notionally obsolete processors from which to choose. Go for something with HDMI input capabilities as many modern AV devices have lost their SPDIF outputs. There are some absolute bargains to be had in this world. Some devices offer outstanding sound quality for both two-channel and multi-channel systems.

In that traditional world I have found that using "proper" loudspeakers for the rear and/or side channels has a marked effect. They are no longer the effects channels of early Dolby Surround and deserve something quality. You may even find that five full-range speakers obviates the need for a sub altogether. Matching amplifiers to speakers for surround duties demands the same considerations as for a conventional two-channel system. It is essential that your centre is (i) tonally well-matched to the front left and right speakers and (ii) is capable of handling power in the same way, although a sub can alleviate some of the demands here.

So you already have some clear considerations and a possible incremental sequence of decisions:
  • your choice of traditional or next generation surround processor
  • a centre speaker that matches your ATC40As
  • a pair of (possibly) large surrounds
  • an amplifier capable of driving those speakers
  • a sub if you need it
  • side speakers and amplification if your room is large and/or long
Budget-wise i can really only comment from a Meridian point of view so think £400-£600 for a 568.2mm processor (an ABSOLUTE bargain), £600-£1200 for a G68 (very good but make sure the power supply is sorted and that you get an analogue version), £1500-£3000 for an 861v4 (again check the power supply status and the card configuration) and £3500 and up for 861v8 (again depending on specification). Meridian systems also need an HD621 device to handle HDMI inputs.

I am sure Arcam and the various Japanese manufacturers can also offer competitive sound quality at reasonbly accessible second hand prices.

Hope that helps?

Thank you both for the replies. Especially to IceG, that is a very helpful post and I will go and do some research along the lines you suggest. One of the reasons I want to use ATC speakers is to get some way towards matching the left/right with the surround system.

I’ve come from a similar place as IceG, that is I am a Meridian user (long term), including the 568, which is ancient but useful as pointed out. I would say the downside to Meridian is the HD621 for HDMI, as it is an additional box. Plus they have not updated their surround sound processors for sometime, who knows if they ever will. Currently using a G65 which I have been using with analogue and Meridian DSPs. I switched from an 861V4. I prefer the smaller form factor of the G65. Sound wise I think they are similar, no desire to go back to the 800 series.

Re ATC, I had used some SCM11s of rears when I first went back to surround sound, they worked fine with some Audiolab amps (P, then MM). In terms of centre I used a an old passive C3 (I think, it is not from the current range) and then made a quite big leap to the top end C6. I’ve downsized subsequently but do happen to have the older C5CA which can be upgraded to run the ATC tweeter, it is not doing a lot, as I’ve bought it for a longer term plan which I am not sure if will ever happen.

My overall point though with centres is to choose wisely if you also want to integrate with music, the Meridian option has lots of dsp options to play with, if that is your thing.

Marantz/Denon have a huge range to 15.4 channels

image_large2

marantz-av10-rear.jpg

Thanks people, been reading up on the Denon and Marantz offerings and I think a decent AV receiver from one of them may be all I need when partnered with some suitable ATC speakers. Will likely go for some rear and side surrounds as room can take if (7m x 5.5m).

Sounds like a very good solution.

If you are going with an object audio capable processor and you are doing up the room, then now is the time to install brackets and cabling for height speakers.

They need not be of the same quality as the floor-level speakers and don't need to be dedicated in-ceiling types. You could cable for all eight positions, then experiment with placement for two or four.

advertisement

Back