advertisement

Classic power amp suggestions for Proac Response SC1

sparkling

New here and after 15 years with the same setup I’ve started a rebuild with the first new element -the Proacs- recently purchased. I have a Bluesound NODE, which I’m planning to use as a preamp, hence the need for a power amp. (I’d also look at integrated but guessed my money would go further this way). I’m not sure whether my preference or my hearing has changed but my previous setup started to strike me a tiring and bright. The Proacs have helped some but I’m looking for something towards the warm end for longer listening sessions. As the Proacs are 22 years old, you’ll know I’ll be happy to go back as far as necessary for the right amp. Looked at Ebay offerings from Exposure, Croft, Audiolab, Hegel but I’ve now gone so far down the rabbit hole I can’t see the wood for the trees!

Cost less important than bang for buck to match the rest of the system.

Other things to mention, I would consider valve amps but I need to stack the Node on top of the amp due to space limitations.

Auditions will be done in time-honoured buy and sell on if no-likey. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Welcome, I hope you find some helpful advice!

Freshly serviced Quad 606 (late mk 1 or a mk 2) would be top of my shortlist. None of the boom-tish that some amps revel in.

Budget around £550 for a really nice one, an Amplabs service and postage.

If the input sensitivity is too high, you can get it dialled down as part of the service, but mine comes up fine with a 2mv DAC going straight into it.

If you don’t think you will ever need 140wpc into 8r, then the Quad 500 series pro amps are 100wpc and the Quad 306 is 50 wpc and both sound just as great.

All are fine into lower impedance speakers, too.

I second the recommendations above, particularly the 306, all the power amp you'll ever need in a smaller room.

Also second the recommendation for an Amplabs service.

TS

I heard these speakers driven by a Supernait 1 and was extremely impressed. These little speakers really rocked the place, room was rather small and we didn’t miss of anything at all.

@sparkling I have here doing nothing an Arcam Alpha 8P, 70wpc and more than happy into 4 Ohm (ran my ML Summits when main amps away for repair). Sound signature wise I'd say it is on the warm side of neutral but not in a, plodding/gooey way, also has good bass, mids and treble detail, and performs well beyond its 'budget' intentions. Where in the country are you? If your not to far from the South Coast then you could try it in your system. If you want to buy and try then £155 delivered which should see you easily get your ££s back via fleabay.

in spite 'common wisdom' the 1SCs ain't an easy drive speaker> the Yamaha MX-2, their second TOTL from the '90s, is my absolute favourite, used (even with the big bro 2.5s, as well - and yes, I owned 1SCs) proved to be way the best match than almost anything under 1.2k+ power amps, and their 2nd hand price is also well below that mark. contact me if interested, please - thanks

Stewart Tyler used to dem them with high-end Audio Research valve amps. He used to have a very substantial stack of Audio Research at shows etc at that time. The 1SC certainly works well with a good push-pull valve amp or class A solid state. If looking for a classic amp something like a Radford STA25 would be ideal IMO, the little ProAcs really need more grunt than the EL84 Leaks, Lebens etc can find, but the EL34s of the Radford will have no issue, similarly any Audio Research, Conrad Johnson or McIntosh valve power will be ideal. That is where I’d be looking. In later years ProAc shifted to Sugden Masterclass power, and again a nice match if valves don’t appeal, as is vintage Krell etc. I really like the 1SC but it does very much respond to the amps upstream and nothing is too good or wasted on them. They scale amazingly well.

This is very much appreciated all of you and I haven’t sat on my hands. Later in the week I have a recently serviced Quad 306 arriving - my room is small and I don’t go anywhere near 11 on the dial. I have a long list of amps to try, by lots of manufacturers, many I hadn’t heard of, and I will continue the chase (the best bit?) until I get another combo I can live with for 10-15 years. I’ll be back on here to let you know how I get on.

This is very much appreciated all of you and I haven’t sat on my hands. Later in the week I have a recently serviced Quad 306 arriving - my room is small and I don’t go anywhere near 11 on the dial. I have a long list of amps to try, by lots of manufacturers, many I hadn’t heard of, and I will continue the chase (the best bit?) until I get another combo I can live with for 10-15 years. I’ll be back on here to let you know how I get on.
Good choice, I was going to second the suggestion of a Quad 520 or 510s as being the pro variant of this design. 306 is great if you don't need Lemmy levels of volume.

So, the 306 arrived, absolutely mint condition and has been hooked up to the Proacs since Tuesday. I haven’t watched any of the World Cup! My listening sessions go on and on. SWMBO says the new set up sounds like a warm and mellow casserole of sound. I know.

The biggest thing that happened, and I know it’s a really good sign, is that I started listening to the music not the hifi.

I may try some other more expensive, older or more unusual amplification in the near future but for now I’m just going to keep on listening.

I’ve got a pair of Proac studio 2’s which I powered with Musical Fidelity A120. Lovely class A warmth and creaminess but dynamic and fast too. Never felt underpowered either. Great amp.

advertisement

Back