advertisement

Coronavirus - the new strain XXIV

"The UK has spent about 20 per cent less per person on health each year than similar European countries over the past decade, according to new research that shows how the NHS has been consistently starved of funding." [FT if you can see it]

https://t.co/P6RaxbmVYs

Thanks for posting that Gav.

The data from the Health Foundation, which was shared with the Financial Times, found that health spending in the UK would have needed to rise by an average of £40bn per year in the past decade to match per capita health spending across 14 EU countries.
The lag between the UK and similar countries in expenditure levels revealed in the Health Foundation data, is matched by a gulf in survival rates for some conditions. In the UK, just 13 per cent of those diagnosed with lung cancer live for at least five years, according to 2014 data, the most recent available. This is the lowest among the countries studied, with Japan at the top on 33 per cent. Meanwhile, 9 per cent of people in the UK who had the most common type of stroke died within 30 days in 2019, compared with 6.2 per cent in Germany. “Either we are going to have lower quality healthcare relative to other countries or we spend more,” said Anita Charlesworth, director of research for the Foundation, who led the work.

I often hear people say that NHS problems aren't just about funding - but spending £40bn(!) a year less than our neighbours certainly isn't going to help.

I see flu jabs at secondary schools have been quietly dropped even though a big flu wave is expected. They plan to offer some if there's any left later in the season. We're going backwards on public health rapidly...

Yes I saw that too, yet my partner's kids all got flu jabs at school as normal. Must be a school specific thing I guess.

Michelle Mone and her children secretly received £29m originating from the profits of a PPE business that was awarded large government contracts after she recommended it to ministers, documents seen by the Guardian indicate.

Lady Mone’s support helped the company, PPE Medpro, secure a place in a “VIP lane” the government used during the coronavirus pandemic to prioritise companies that had political connections. It then secured contracts worth more than £200m.

Documents seen by the Guardian indicate tens of millions of pounds of PPE Medpro’s profits were later transferred to a secret offshore trust of which Mone and her adult children were the beneficiaries.

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news...-secretly-received-29m-from-vip-lane-ppe-firm

Majority of people with long Covid ‘report experiencing some form of stigma’

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/covid-university-of-southampton-fear-hiv-b2231697.html

Same as it always was for ME / chronic fatigue. You're either a malingerer or a weirdo or both. My heart goes out to those suffering from long Covid - and especially those whose ability to support themselves financially has been compromised. I hope that eventually some good will come of this in terms of better understanding of the underlying causes and effective treatments.

At least 23 deaths (and 680 additional hospital admissions) might have been caused by a blunder at a privately-run lab after thousands of positive Covid cases were reported as negative, public health experts have estimated.

The error at the Immensa Health Clinic Ltd lab in Wolverhampton led to around 39,000 PCR tests returning negative results when they should have been positive between 2 September and 12 October 2021 – mostly in the south-west of England.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...g-lab-might-have-led-to-23-deaths-say-experts

At least 23 deaths (and 680 additional hospital admissions) might have been caused by a blunder at a privately-run lab after thousands of positive Covid cases were reported as negative, public health experts have estimated.

The error at the Immensa Health Clinic Ltd lab in Wolverhampton led to around 39,000 PCR tests returning negative results when they should have been positive between 2 September and 12 October 2021 – mostly in the south-west of England.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...g-lab-might-have-led-to-23-deaths-say-experts
This is a grotesque failure of service delivered by Lady Dido’s £37bn Test and Trace crew. Yes count them. 39,000 wrongly labelled results sending infectors out into the community. Let me guess- she’ll pass the buck to Jenny Harries the dubious deputy CMO

My 96-year old Father has had Covid for the first time, but has now recovered, and tested negative yesterday after 10days or so. Relatively mild symptoms, though he is now feeling very tired. That someone so elderly can come through relatively unscathed is (I guess) a great testimony to the effectiveness of vaccination. I havn't been following this thread for a long while - I know significant numbers are still dying - presumably there are statistics on these cases? I guess the unvaccinated and immuno-suppressed are by far the most vulnerable?

Officials slow to act on Covid contact-tracing warnings, leaked evidence says
Exclusive: Evidence to UK Covid inquiry describes missed chances to improve test-and-trace regime in early days of pandemic

"A scathing “lessons learned” document written by Dr Achim Wolf, a senior test and trace official, and submitted to the inquiry, gives his account of a trail of missed opportunities to improve the NHS test-and-trace regime in the first winter and spring of the pandemic – before vaccines were available.

It suggests that people will have unnecessarily spread the virus to friends and relatives in the first Christmas of the pandemic and subsequent January lockdown period because they were not legally required to isolate and have their contacts traced as soon as they got a positive lateral flow test."

More than 10,000 ambulances a week are caught in queues of at least an hour outside accident-and-emergency units in England, a BBC News analysis shows.

The total - the highest since records began, in 2010 - means one in eight crews faced delays on this scale by mid-November.

Paramedics warned the problems were causing patients severe harm.

One family told BBC News an 85-year-old woman with a broken hip had waited 40 hours before a hospital admission.

She waited an "agonising" 14 hours for the ambulance to arrive and then 26 in the ambulance outside hospital.

When finally admitted, to the Royal Cornwall Hospital, which has apologised for her care, she had surgery.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-63808516

advertisement

Back