advertisement

Small simple microwave cooker recommendation

MikeMA

pfm Member
My old microwave, bought in Sainsbury's about twenty years ago I think, is going rusty inside and has begun to make strange crackly noises, even when it's not in use :eek:. Time for a replacement I think.

I want something simple. It must have a stainless steel interior, and preferably exterior, be simple to operate with two knobs only, one for power and one for timing. I don't want a grill or anything with loads of buttons.

Budget is not a major issue providing it is decent quality and meets my requirements. What would fishies recommend, based on their personal experience?

Panasonic are great, but I doubt they meet the OPs requirements

I want something simple. It must have a stainless steel interior, and preferably exterior, be simple to operate with two knobs only, one for power and one for timing. I don't want a grill or anything with loads of buttons.

this might though

Daewoo 800W, 20L Microwave | Easy Clean Stainless Steel Interior | 6 Power Levels | Manual 30 Minute Timer | Glass Turntable |- White… https://amzn.eu/d/gNuqc4Y

We got a good size GGM Gastro 1400W, it's a cheap catering microwave so simple and fast.

Having a bigger one means we use it far more. c£300 six years ago.

microwave.jpg

My old microwave, bought in Sainsbury's about twenty years ago I think, is going rusty inside and has begun to make strange crackly noises, even when it's not in use :eek:. Time for a replacement I think.

Budget is not a major issue providing it is decent quality and meets my requirements. What would fishies recommend, based on their personal experience?

We tried to find similar for my wife's Nana but couldn't...

Ended up buying this and she loved it; simply pressed start to set it going and the more you press it, the more it ups in 30second jumps etc

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06Y5Q5GQ5/?tag=pinkfishmedia-21

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
Does the 'inverter technology' make any noticeable difference?

only thing we noticed was that defrosting stuff was better. Rather than just nuking the frozen food and ending up with one bit still frozen and another cooked, it would defrost much more evenly

Thanks, we don't do a lot of defrosting but if it generally cooks more evenly then that's going to be helpful.

Thanks, we don't do a lot of defrosting but if it generally cooks more evenly then that's going to be helpful.

i think it probably does. We have had our inverter Panasonic for years, so it is hard to remember what its predecessor was like

I'd just tour the local supermarkets and see what they had. Most of them have the very simple system where one push gets 30 sec, push again for 30 sec more, saves loads of messing about programming.

I'd just tour the local supermarkets and see what they had. Most of them have the very simple system where one push gets 30 sec, push again for 30 sec more, saves loads of messing about programming.

yes i noticed Asda had some pretty simple one and two button ones.

This is the conclusion I'm rapidly coming to Steve.

It only gets used for cooking the occasional jacket spud, heating stuff up, and defrosting stuff I've previously forgotten to take out of the freezer. Loads of buttons just make things unnecessarily complicated - one of the machines quoted above has a "turbocharger" button, I mean, WTF is that for? - and I want to avoid anything to do with cooking which involves having to RTFM.

This is the conclusion I'm rapidly coming to Steve.

It only gets used for cooking the occasional jacket spud, heating stuff up, and defrosting stuff I've previously forgotten to take out of the freezer. .
Same as 95% of the population, then. I have a combi one that does very good jacket spuds in 15 minutes with crispy skin, so that's worthwhile. Mind you I do know the current modern solution to that is 10 minutes in a conventional micro followed by another 10 in the air fryer that we are all rushing out and buying.

On that amazonian link above, on the first picture shown to me the left hand button on the second row is labelled 'Chaos Defrost'! Eh?
Other pictures show the 'Turbo' label as you describe though.

Personally I would insist on my purchase (if I were to make it) having said 'Chaos' button for all the fun it might create.
If pressing said 'Chaos' button, would this cause catastrophic polar ice cap melting?

As with most outfits at the moment Panasonic have 'Black Friday' (whatever that may mean) deals on right now if indeed a Panasonic is 'maybe' where you want to go.

Let the chaos begin........

Chaos defrost uses random pulses of power to achieve a quicker and more even defrost within the food. This would only be used for Bread, Meat Items or Meat Joints.

This was from the Panasonic site.

If size and cost aren’t an issue I’d be looking at an industrial flatbed, Maestrowave or Samsung for example. Anyway, I’d only buy a flatbed - far easier to keep clean.

Panasonic are great, but I doubt they meet the OPs requirements

this might though

Daewoo 800W, 20L Microwave | Easy Clean Stainless Steel Interior | 6 Power Levels | Manual 30 Minute Timer | Glass Turntable |- White… https://amzn.eu/d/gNuqc4Y

I have one of these, I bought it because I wanted a small microwave and this was the smallest I could find. I use it for making porridge, partially defrosting if I'm in a hurry, warming up meals, making hot chocolate and that's it. It works fine.

advertisement

Back