advertisement

Falcon ls3/5a gold vs q7

The BBC report RD1976/29 that describes the construction of the LS3/5A and it is mentioned on page 1, the introduction, in paragrapgh 2.

I have never been able to understand is where the screws for the baffle were located: one set is smack down in the middle of the sides of the B110. It is noticeable when you remove, or fasten the baffle, that the current location is the weakest part of the baffle.

I would have preferred to see a set at the level where the B110 top and bottom fasteners are.

But hey, who am I to remark on the construction, what do I know? :eek:

FWIW It is being said that the LS3/5A as like a balancing act on the head of a pin. The slightest change and it all sounds different.

I have never been able to understand is where the screws for the baffle were located: one set is smack down in the middle of the sides of the B110. It is noticeable when you remove, or fasten the baffle, that the current location is the weakest part of the baffle.

52327134614_74246d1cc5_b.jpg

It is more than strong enough though, there is plenty of ply there. Remember this is a lossy joint, no one is attempting ‘Linn tight’ here! The baffle sealing strip does the air-tight bit, the lossy screw joints prevent the whole cabinet resonating like a bell the way so many “rigid” glued ones do.

Here’s this bloke’s opinion of the Q7 vs. LS3/5A. He’s here on pfm somewhere.
I note he opted for the Tygan grilles... I'm still curious to see a measurement of the Q7 with the non-Tygan vs Tygan grilles to know how much the Tygan cloth pulls the HF response down by. I've only heard the Q7 with the non-Tygan grilles and in my system/room I preferred them with no toe-in, otherwise the HF drew a little too much attention to itself for the types of music I mostly listen to. It did however give large-scale orchestral music a wonderful sense of air and spaciousness.

Sorry to hear you did not get on with them. Here is a very recent in depth review of them that might be of interest to those still interested:

I have the ls3/5a gold and interested to get the q7. The drivers are the same, crossover more or less the same but the q7 has bigger cabinets and therefore, lower bass response.

Anyone had both and can say if the q7 is generally ls3/5a with deeper bass?

I've had my ( used ) Q7s for a few months now and I'm very pleased with them.
I took a 'step in the dark' eventually selling my well - loved Stirling V3s, but it's turned out well.

Not actually owning a pair of LS3/5As I decided to build a pair, having built a Falcon Acoustics LS3/5A kit a while ago for a friend.
This time I used new Rogers cabinets, Falcon crossovers and B110s, plus NOS T27s.
All accessories ( including baffles ) were supplied by Falcon, including the grilles.

They do sound superb.
Imaging is slightly better than the Q7s, the bass less so.
Otherwise not a great deal in it, to my ears.

Do I miss the V3s?
In some ways, yes, mainly the superb transparency.

Overall though, I've two pairs of speakers I really enjoy listening to.
And enjoying is what it's all about, after all.

I've had my ( used ) Q7s for a few months now and I'm very pleased with them.
I took a 'step in the dark' eventually selling my well - loved Stirling V3s, but it's turned out well.

Not actually owning a pair of LS3/5As I decided to build a pair, having built a Falcon Acoustics LS3/5A kit a while ago for a friend.
This time I used new Rogers cabinets, Falcon crossovers and B110s, plus NOS T27s.
All accessories ( including baffles ) were supplied by Falcon, including the grilles.

They do sound superb.
Imaging is slightly better than the Q7s, the bass less so.
Otherwise not a great deal in it, to my ears.

Do I miss the V3s?
In some ways, yes, mainly the superb transparency.

Overall though, I've two pairs of speakers I really enjoy listening to.
And enjoying is what it's all about, after all.

Is your q7 gold or silver?
You praise the v3 quite substantially in previous posts. Is the q7 overall better?

Interesting. I too had the Proac Tab 10s but find the Q7 far superior.
The Q7 initially were quite bright. I was a bit off but persevered. After a month of running in they settled down very well.
They are the best speakers that I even owned.

I have both the Tablette 10 Signature and the Q7 and prefer the Q7's by a pretty decent margin. And I am a huge Proac fan. I've had Studio 148's in my main system for about eight years.

I have both the Tablette 10 Signature and the Q7 and prefer the Q7's by a pretty decent margin. And I am a huge Proac fan. I've had Studio 148's in my main system for about eight years.

Could you elaborate a little? Where does each speaker shine in your opinion and any downfalls? Thank you.

Is your q7 gold or silver?
You praise the v3 quite substantially in previous posts. Is the q7 overall better?

I bought the Q7s from 'Ianp' of this parish.

Re. the V3s, I still rate them very highly and never expected to be without them.
The Q7s I wanted to try, after owning Falcon LS3/5As a while ago.
When a used pair became available, i decided to take a chance. They could be sold on.

The Q7s have a different approach to the V3s.
The Stirlings have an almost holographic presentation, with excellent imaging.

The Q7s are more 'laid back' and dare I say more musical.
My test piece for classical music is Vaughan Williams' Tallis.
On the Stirlings it sounds superb, the emotion in the music conveyed beautifully.

With the Falcons, just that little bit better.
The same with female vocals, Mary Black, Sandy Denny, etc.

Yes, I miss the V3s sometimes but my newly built LS3/5As 'sort of' replace them.

I'm still a huge fan of Doug Stirling's speakers and have helped to sell his products.
He is also one of the straightest and honest people I've ever dealt with.

Last edited:
They are silver, bought from 'Ianp' of this parish.
Re. the V3s, I still rate them very highly and never expected to be without them.
The Q7s I wanted to try, after owning Falcon LS3/5As a while ago.
When a used pair became available, i decided to take a chance. They could be sold on.

The Q7s have a different approach to the V3s.
The Stirlings have an almost holographic presentation, with excellent imaging.

The Q7s are more 'laid back' and dare I say more musical.
My test piece for classical music is Vaughan Williams' Tallis.
On the Stirlings it sounds superb, the emotion in the music conveyed beautifully.

With the Falcons, just that little bit better.
The same with female vocals, Mary Black, Sandy Denny, etc.

Yes, I miss the V3s sometimes but my newly built LS3/5As 'sort of' replace them.
I'm still a huge fan of Doug Stirling's speakers and have helped to sell his products.
He is also one of the straightest and honest people I've ever dealt with.

Yeah I'm surprised you sold your v3, considering how you kinda said they are the best ls3/5 you ever heard, much better than the Falcon.

Is the q7 bass much deeper than your v3?

Ah, the bass.
The V3s' bass was subjectivity deeper than previous LS3/5As I'd owned.
The Q7s' bass is subjectivity deeper and fuller than the V3s.
I prefer it, especially on orchestral pieces and string bass on folk groups.
Electric bass is variable.

I don't listen to 'rock' type music, or electronic music, with substantial bass output so that aspect of bass reproduction doesn't matter to me.

If I ever want to experience the V3s again Doug S. will happily supply me with a used pair.

advertisement

Back