advertisement

Post-Trump: III (decline, further tantrums, legal proceedings, book deals etc)

And at the risk of a three post ment, here's emptywheel fast off the mark with her take.

https://www.emptywheel.net/2022/11/...r-jack-smith-to-oversee-trump-investigations/

I'm hoping the end game is not-too-imminent, and that there is plenty of time for Trump and DeSantis to duke it out for the GOP nomination. (Ideally Trump would be interred in Yucca Mountain (or Guantanamo) the day after he splits the vote and the Dems win the presidency for another 4 years).

I'm hoping the end game is not-too-imminent, and that there is plenty of time for Trump and DeSantis to duke it out for the GOP nomination. (Ideally Trump would be interred in Yucca Mountain (or Guantanamo) the day after he splits the vote and the Dems win the presidency for another 4 years).

Aye Trump is principally a Dem asset at this point so it's a good point. Also DeSantis is *far* more dangerous than Trump ever was and the main hope if he gets a clear run is that his seeming charisma bypass makes him underwhelming in a general election.

Aye Trump is principally a Dem asset at this point so it's a good point. Also DeSantis is *far* more dangerous than Trump ever was and the main hope if he gets a clear run is that his seeming charisma bypass makes him underwhelming in a general election.

Vaush dealt with that last night. Trump is a vacuous narcissist happy to use fascism for ego massage. DeSantis is an actual fascist. Both are an absolute disaster and could spell the end of anything approaching democracy in America.

Between that 11th C beatdown and the SCOTUS denial, that may have been the worst 40 minutes of Trump's legal life.

EmptyWheel (Twitter).

\o/

I would love to have been there when Kanye asked Trump to be his running mate (yes, I know, Kanye is in serious need of help; but that I can't help but find it funny)

Just looking him up on Wikipedia. My, he's a card, isn't he!?

That’ll be Nick Fuentes (lives in his mothers basement and broadcasts his bile), watch one episode of his YouTube show and you’ll be lining up behind me to have 30 mins in a locked room with him.

Robert Reich points out the really worrisome thing shown by Trumps dinner with Fuentes and Ye: there is now no one on his staff who could head this off. There is now one around him sane and influential. Trump will be unrestrained, unfiltered Trump going forward. Which will be too crazy to win the election in 2024, but plenty crazy enough to try to take over with unrestrained violence. https://robertreich.substack.com/p/...harge-of?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

Robert Reich points out the really worrisome thing shown by Trumps dinner with Fuentes and Ye: there is now no one on his staff who could head this off. There is now one around him sane and influential. Trump will be unrestrained, unfiltered Trump going forward. Which will be too crazy to win the election in 2024, but plenty crazy enough to try to take over with unrestrained violence. https://robertreich.substack.com/p/...harge-of?utm_source=substack&utm_medium=email

The CHAOS will engulf America either in late 2023 or early 2024. It will be Civil War Mk!! and will be bloody, violent and devastating for world stability. I bet Putin is getting excited about it already...

Does capitalised CHAOS have a particular meaning, or is it merely indicative of particularly large chaos? With regard to civil war, I can't see it happening (no Mason-Dixon line demarcating territory), but I can imagine large-scale civil insurrection, with these armed militias posing as defenders of freedom, the Constitution, the God-given right of white folk to dominate everyone else, etc.

The CHAOS will engulf America either in late 2023 or early 2024. It will be Civil War Mk!! and will be bloody, violent and devastating for world stability. I bet Putin is getting excited about it already...
I expect something chaotic, to be sure. Won't be the Spanish Civil war, with actual armies in conflict. Could be more like the Northern Ireland troubles, writ very large. Guerrilla terrorism, bombs and assassinations, lots of barbed wire and checkpoints, army everywhere, a very bloody mess. And useful idiots like Ye will not disguise that is will largely be a race war.

A hard-headed administration/Justice Department might head the worst off with early action to decapitate the movement. Alas, don't expect that.

Robert Reich points out the really worrisome thing shown by Trumps dinner with Fuentes and Ye: there is now no one on his staff who could head this off. There is now one around him sane and influential. Trump will be unrestrained, unfiltered Trump going forward.

The thing that is even more worrying is the GOP as a whole don’t seem to have any interest in standing up against its own crazy 40-50% faction. It now seems safe to view the party as openly fascist, white supremacist, conspiracy theorist and religious extremist based as no one inside is actively fighting it.

In the same way the entirely corrupt oligarch-driven post-2019 UK Conservative Party sells nothing but vile xenophobic UKIP, EDL, NF etc policy the Republican Party is now purely the voice of vast wealth, the gun lobby, KKK, Confederacy and extremist hate preachers. There is no one left in either party to openly stand up and fight. Liz Cheney tried but I see very few others.

I now fully understand how fascism gains control in a so called democracy. It is playing out on both sides of the Atlantic and whilst I recognise every detail and historical echo I have no idea how to fight it. It just seems set in motion with an unstoppable momentum.

What do you do, the extremes on either side are equally unappealing? People in the middle ground will just lean back and watch it play out until it affects them directly.

How do you fight fascism without becoming an extremist yourself? Genuinely what does history show us works?

advertisement

Back