advertisement

Do USB Bridges work?

I was using a Denafrips Hermes DDC between my Holo May and Mac mini, in the end I sold it as it didn't improve anything with this particular combo.
Hi Heckman, may I inquire if whether, with the Hermes DDC in the chain the sound was improved?

@nostromo first thing is to compare through different inputs , try and determine if there is a difference and whether the USB is faulty, in the example I mentioned there was a very audible whine which disappeared with the Intona in situ.
Keith

That Hans video is brilliant, he even opens up talking shit, like a pc cares whether the data is a spreadsheet, a photo or a wav file, FFS.

Thanks for sharing your experience, it's much food for thought. I'm leaning your way, which output from the Singxer are you using?
I use spdif (BNC) as this has sounded the most natural to me in the various DACs I have used it with, but an advantage of the SU-2 is that it gives you plenty of output options. The F-1 by comparison is a straight USB to Spdif converter, so the only output option is an RCA Coax.

Whilst it uses a high quality clock, the option of connecting an external clock is also an added bonus (albeit I have never owned a master clock to try it out).

Not sure how to do this. I use WASAPI implemented in Audirivarna and JRiver, surely this removed any Windows tinkering in the computer?

I don't know about Audirvarna, but in JRiver you just go to 'Tools' - 'Options' - 'Audio' and select your 'audio device' from the available drop-down options.

If you use the desktop version of Tidal or Qobuz, you can normally select the output device within the settings, so worth making sure you're outputting with the correct driver there too.

I have read that ASIO is the preferred driver for audio using windows, so I use that, but I don't think there is any audible difference between WASAPI and ASIO as far as I have heard, so you should be fine as you are if you're using WASAPI. Both output as bit perfect audio AFAIK.

Regarding the other thing I mentioned, to double check the sample rate in JRiver you go to 'Tools' - 'Options' - 'Audio' - 'Settings' - 'DSP and Output Format' and then from the table select the 'output' sample rate. I tend to select 'no change' so the software outputs at the same rate as the incoming sample rate, but you can actually upsample in JRiver up to 768KHz, so out of interest you can try selecting that for everything to see if that enhances the quality. I've not noticed any difference in doing so, but of course there are plenty of high-end DACs around these days that upsample, so there appears to be some theoretical logic behind it (algorithm dependent though I believe).

Hope that assists.

Hi Keith, May I inquire on @Billsie's suggestion whether you sell/recommend/use anything like a USB purifier or a DDC. I'm about to order an Intona from Amazon to try and return if it makes no difference.
I am not Keith (mercifully) but it’s maybe worth pointing out that if you use a laptop on batteries then there is no potential ground loop to fix, so that aspect of the Intona’s functionality is irrelevant. And if you do have a laptop you can see whether disconnecting it from its charger makes a difference. It certainly can; years ago I briefly had an Arcam DAC which made all sorts of twittering noises when I depressed keys on my laptop, but it only did so when the laptop was connected to its charger.

It is also the case that decent music player software like J River and Roon have settings to take exclusive control over the USB output which will then guarantee bit perfect replay on windows and iOS. I had an MDAC for a bit, years back, which had a bit-accurate test built in, so was able to prove that.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I wonder if this Analog Devices evaluation board would work:

https://www.digikey.co.uk/en/products/detail/analog-devices-inc./EVAL-CN0419-EBZ/9996933

CN0419 Evaluation Board Guide

Overview
CN0419 is a circuit that isolates a peripheral device that already implements a USB interface by using the ADuM4160, a USB port isolator based on Analog Devices iCoupler technology. It is bus-powered by pairing it with a small isolated dc-to-dc converter such as the ADuM5020. The application circuit shown is typical of many medical and industrial applications.

The ADuM4160 is a USB port isolator, based on Analog Devices, Inc., iCoupler® technology. Combining high speed CMOS and monolithic air core transformer technology, these isolation components provide outstanding performance characteristics and are easily integrated with low and full speed USB-compatible peripheral devices.

The ADuM5020 is an isoPower®, integrated, isolated dc-to-dc converter. Based on the Analog Devices, Inc., iCoupler® technology, this dc-to-dc converter provides regulated, isolated power that is below CISPR22 Class B limits at full load on a 2-layer printed circuit board (PCB) with ferrites.

Hello,
I'm looking for advice/opinions and experiences with using a USB-Bridge which are sometimes known as DDC (Digital to Digial Converter). I have an urge to try one of these to rescue a purchase blunder and perhaps even to improve what I already have that works well.

The blunder purchase was a Dell Optiplex 7090 mini computer running Jriver MC30 and now Audirivarna Origin. The problem is this sounds rather awful compared to my old (8years) ASUS Xenbook laptop.

I have a theory: the USB on the Dell computer is very noisy and my DAC can't deal with it. The sound comparitively very flat and lifeless and hence fatiguing an un-involving. I presume it's the noise from the computer.

I want to see if a USB-Bridge might fix this by removing/ioslating this noise/effect. I only want to try one, but which one to try is my quandry.

I want to put USB in and get 'clean' USB out, but it seams this may not be possible, I have no idea why these devices don't output to USB.

But I guess I could use I2S or Optical input to the DAC. I find these devices difficult to comprehend, i.e. what they do how and why....I only want a 'clean' digital out (preferrably USB).

Any comments/suggestions will be very useful and much appreciated. Thank you.

Some examples of these devices:

https://hifigo.com/blogs/news/topping-u90-flagship-level-usb-audio-bridge

https://darko.audio/2020/06/allos-usbridge-signature-review/

https://goldensound.audio/2021/08/01/singxer-su6-measurements/

I'm getting a weird feeling while writing this, that I may have asked this before...my apologies if that is the case, I'm getting old.

Worth reading these:

https://theaudiophileman.com/cad-scot-berry/
https://www.computeraudiodesign.com/computer-setup/

Also the CAD boss (Scott Berry) said the Stack Audio Link 2 was a very good product. There was one in the classifieds here or the Wam recently if I remember correctly.

Worth reading these:

Also the CAD boss (Scott Berry) said the Stack Audio Link 2 was a very good product. There was one in the classifieds here or the Wam recently if I remember correctly.

I used CAD's OSX Audio Optimization Script briefly when I was running Mac OS 10.9 on my music playback Mac, before I started using a network endpoint/bridge which made OS optimisation redundant. If I remember correctly Scott was active on Computer Audiophile at that time.

I don't know about Audirvarna, but in JRiver you just go to 'Tools' - 'Options' - 'Audio' and select your 'audio device' from the available drop-down options.

If you use the desktop version of Tidal or Qobuz, you can normally select the output device within the settings, so worth making sure you're outputting with the correct driver there too.

I have read that ASIO is the preferred driver for audio using windows, so I use that, but I don't think there is any audible difference between WASAPI and ASIO as far as I have heard, so you should be fine as you are if you're using WASAPI. Both output as bit perfect audio AFAIK.

Regarding the other thing I mentioned, to double check the sample rate in JRiver you go to 'Tools' - 'Options' - 'Audio' - 'Settings' - 'DSP and Output Format' and then from the table select the 'output' sample rate. I tend to select 'no change' so the software outputs at the same rate as the incoming sample rate, but you can actually upsample in JRiver up to 768KHz, so out of interest you can try selecting that for everything to see if that enhances the quality. I've not noticed any difference in doing so, but of course there are plenty of high-end DACs around these days that upsample, so there appears to be some theoretical logic behind it (algorithm dependent though I believe).

Hope that assists.
Audirivarna's internal 'info' tab suggests that WASAPI is best and takes exclusive control over Windows and that ASIO is best if you are using a soundcard to connect. It also has Kernel Streaming which it says bypasses everything and lets Audirivarna have complete control. I've tried all of these options this morning on the Dell and it's still flat and boring and made me look at my watch in the middle of the first track, I now find myself in the sitting room looking at PFM...a sure sign these options didn't help.

I am not Keith (mercifully) but it’s maybe worth pointing out that if you use a laptop on batteries then there is no potential ground loop to fix, so that aspect of the Intona’s functionality is irrelevant. And if you do have a laptop you can see whether disconnecting it from its charger makes a difference. It certainly can; years ago I briefly had an Arcam DAC which made all sorts of twittering noises when I depressed keys on my laptop, but it only did so when the laptop was connected to its charger.

Funny that you mention ground loops. On the laptop with the charger plugged in, the metal case has an electrical charge which you can feel with a light touch of the hand...feels like a 50Hz discharge/buzz that's rather disconconcerting, a bit like a Star Wars light sabre frequency. When you unplug the charger it goes away...doesn't seem to affect the sound. Further on occassion this electrical charge is passed onto the case of the Spring 3 DAC, so that both have an electric field which can be felt with a touch of the hand.

Worth reading these:

I'm on Windows 10 on the laptop (prefrred since no damn login password required) and Windows 11 on the Dell (absolutely hate with a passion; the login screen..WHY!!!!). These scripts are for earlier releases and I'm not sure I could run them correctly...if anything went wrong I would have to spend days to get back to where I started...too riskey.

Can’t you try another source, digital out from a CD player?
Keith
I don't have a CD player or any other souce...Stupidily sold my LP12 and all records about 15 years ago.

Besides, the laptop sounds awesome....I'm really pleased with that into the Spring 3.

I'm on Windows 10 on the laptop (prefrred since no damn login password required) and Windows 11 on the Dell (absolutely hate with a passion; the login screen..WHY!!!!). These scripts are for earlier releases and I'm not sure I could run them correctly...if anything went wrong I would have to spend days to get back to where I started...too riskey.

I quite understand - I suspect the idea is to have a pc/laptop removed from the real world which just chugs away doing its solitary task.

Just buy one of these and hope Scott Berry lives longer than you!

https://hifilounge.co.uk/product/cad-audio-transport/

advertisement

Back