advertisement

So who’s put their heating on yet ?

I read about it on the BBC website. The guy was wearing shorts and a T-shirt as the temperature was reduced to 10 C. Unsurprisingly, wearing inappropriate clothing in cold temperatures will have an adverse effect on one's body.

why I thought that episode was pure entertainment and provided no helpwith what real people are contemplating

Heating went on for an hour the other day to test it's working properly ie. all the rads came up to temp as expected - which they did - as I would rather know if something's wrong before I need it. It's been off again since. In fact I've got a window open as I'm typing this and the thermostat's showing 23degC at the mo. It got down to 3degC outside last night but the heating still didn't need to kick in; I have it set to come on around 19degC.

That sounds like a very well insulated property. 3 degrees outside and 23 inside with no heating. Sadly, no way could vast masses of UK housing be able to maintain anything like that. Not even close. Far too leaky.

That sounds like a very well insulated property. 3 degrees outside and 23 inside with no heating. Sadly, no way could vast masses of UK housing be able to maintain anything like that. Not even close. Far too leaky.
I'm a top floor apartment (although no neighbours on any side, just below) and I'm certain I get quite a bit of heat from the property below me. It's a nightmare in the summer to cool the place though, was frequently 26-28degC inside overnight. I bought a small AC unit in the end to try and cool the bedroom at least as it was nearly impossible to sleep...

I'm a top floor apartment (although no neighbours on any side, just below) and I'm certain I get quite a bit of heat from the property below me. It's a nightmare in the summer to cool the place though, was frequently 26-28degC inside overnight. I bought a small AC unit in the end to try and cool the bedroom at least as it was nearly impossible to sleep...

Sounds very similar to my situation. I live in a new build top floor corner flat. South facing. Just one neighbour below and one next door (they claim to never hear my hi-fi). I have yet to use the heating and it’s showing 22 degrees on the thermometer… It’s great right now but it’s like a furnace in the summer so I have a portable a/c unit in my bedroom…

Not yet, except when my GF comes round once a week. Does that count?

14.4°C in the living room, and loving the heat transfer from my neighbour's adjacent homes :)

Heating finally engaged for an hour in the morning, an hour at lunch and an hour and a half in the evening.

I'm too bloody cold.

I should disclose there is a bit of a competition going on between me and and one of my work colleagues over who can tolerate the lowest house temperature. He's a tough competitor - wears a fleece jacket to bed. Hopefully this won't all end in burst pipes.... :)

14.4 deg C is hair-shirt puritanism. Sod that. I give up when it hits 17 and certainly 16 indoors. At 2 deg c and scraping the car when i left eh house this morning, I need to put some energy into the place one way or another.
Yes, 16/17 degrees is the correct temperature to turn the heat on.

Trust me. I'm a physicist.

6c out/14c in the hall (probably 16 in lounge). Heating not on.
Toasted sandwich for lunch and under a blanket for the world cup.

Dog's been whinging today as house was all set at 15C; one rad now on at 20C and she's straight there.

Mabel-warmed.jpg

that was the one. no practical advice just science. Question I think he wasnt wearing clothes to keep you warm?

I started reading the article but stopped when I saw what he was wearing as it seemed to devalue the whole thing. Was it worth reading further?

It was sub-zero here in Balerno this morning so the heating (which is set at 16C) has been on for nearly 5 hours today.

It was even colder in the Cairngorms - I think it was down to -5C overnight - so we asked our neighbours to put our heating on to a minimal setting this morning.

14 when I got home today. I hate getting home before the heating has had chance to kick in, nothing better than coming in from a freezing, wet horrible day at work to a nice warm home.

advertisement

Back