advertisement

Do USB Bridges work?

Karl, out of interest i have just watched a live stream of Alpha Audio comparing various playback app options on Windows and it would seem that getting good sound from Windows is a challenge. If you are interested i can share the link. Remind me, what software do you use on windows for file playback? (Ps, i’m glad you are still enjoying your new Dave).
Hi Nick. Hope all's well and you are enjoying the recent speaker change ;)

I use JRiver and always output using an ASIO driver.

Back on this topic, another thing for the OP to check on the Dell is that you haven't inadvertently changed the settings on the output sample rate to something very low?

Windows SQ is a shit show, always has been. That's why God created the Mac.

But surely it is all bit perfect playback and can’t make any difference to SQ? But anyway, Windows and Mac are why many of us use Linux based streamers for SQ. :)

I2s is only for short distances, but i2s over hdmi is a different fish in terms of how 'stable' it is and suitability for longer cable runs. Its not the same thing, it's far more robust. ...
It has to be. When i2s interfaces became a thing some time ago I got hold of a copy of the specification. On the surface, there are too many options and too many missing things for it to be interoperable with different designers at source and destination ends.

I couldn't find a more complete specification at the time. Maybe there is now or maybe there really is only one way that could possibly work that's obvious if you actually do some designing?

Thanks Billsie, these looks ideal, just a straight in-line device, no power or extra cables, seems too good to be true. The Intona looks easier to purcahse. I'm looking at this with keen interest. I'll try and PM Keith about it first, maybe he'll respond here.

I use an Ideon 3R Renaissance Black Star between my MACMini and DAC , it's powered btw.

I2s is only for short distances, but i2s over hdmi is a different fish in terms of how 'stable' it is and suitability for longer cable runs. Its not the same thing, it's far more robust.

Nostromo, I'm amazed your dell gives your Holo dac issues, the Holo has one of the very best usb implementations you can buy. Can you get Toslink out of the Dell?

The Spring 3 DAC does have an I2S output which might be worth a try:

Spring-3-rear

Yes you are rightly amazed, the USB implementation was one of the main reasons I purchased this. There is no Toslink out on the Dell, but most DDCs do provide this. The Dell Computer in question:

I have been using a Windows laptop as a transport for quite a few years now and thanks to USB Bridges, I have only a passing interest in getting a dedicated audio streamer.

Used to have an M2Tech Hiface Two and didn't think much to it, but I now use a SingXer SU-2 (and an F-1 in my second system) and it was a real game changer for me.

Some say you don't need one if your DAC has a decent USB interface, but let me put it this way; I use the SU-2 into my Chord DAVE.

For me, it resolves exactly the issue you mention i.e it makes the sound more natural and less 'digital'.

I am generally pretty cynical of potential snake oil in hi-fi (still very much a cable etc sceptic) and only go for things if my ears tell me otherwise. The benefits of the SingXer USB Bridges in my system, are clear as day.

Thanks for sharing your experience, it's much food for thought. I'm leaning your way, which output from the Singxer are you using?

Just to add though.

Just pondering why your Dell is much worse than your laptop into the same DAC connection and although I'm sure you have this sorted, but are you certain you have the correct output drivers from your Dell? If not, it could be something as simple as not using bit perfect audio output using an ASIO or WASAPI driver?

Just a thought that I figured was worth mentioning.

I was not expecting the Dell to be so bad before I purchased it, it was a surprise to me too. The ASUS Xenbook + Spring 3 DAC sounds sublime, it's just that the Xenbook is now about 9 years old and the keyboard is flakey in operation.

From research on the net I have picked up that since the Xenbook laptop is a battery driven i5 low speed processor there is less noise generated on the motherbaord than in the Dell 7090 which is an i9 operating at a far higher CPU frequency requiring high power from it's external SMPS. Or may the USB on the laptop is better implemented. I reckon the battery power and the CPU is less poluting in the laptop.

Back on this topic, another thing for the OP to check on the Dell is that you haven't inadvertently changed the settings on the output sample rate to something very low?

Not sure how to do this. I use WASAPI implemented in Audirivarna and JRiver, surely this removed any Windows tinkering in the computer?

Windows has been bit perfect since Vista.
Keith

Hi Keith, May I inquire on @Billsie's suggestion whether you sell/recommend/use anything like a USB purifier or a DDC. I'm about to order an Intona from Amazon to try and return if it makes no difference.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I was using a Denafrips Hermes DDC between my Holo May and Mac mini, in the end I sold it as it didn't improve anything with this particular combo.

I have been using a Windows laptop as a transport for quite a few years now and thanks to USB Bridges, I have only a passing interest in getting a dedicated audio streamer.

Used to have an M2Tech Hiface Two and didn't think much to it, but I now use a SingXer SU-2 (and an F-1 in my second system) and it was a real game changer for me.

Some say you don't need one if your DAC has a decent USB interface, but let me put it this way; I use the SU-2 into my Chord DAVE.

For me, it resolves exactly the issue you mention i.e it makes the sound more natural and less 'digital'.

I am generally pretty cynical of potential snake oil in hi-fi (still very much a cable etc sceptic) and only go for things if my ears tell me otherwise. The benefits of the SingXer USB Bridges in my system, are clear as day.

When I first used computer audio it was via a HiFace into an nDac. Over the years I used a Ciunas converter (excellent while it lasted, powered by a TP supply) then a Schiit Eitr (not bad but not as pleasant as the Ciunas) and now a Singer SU-6 which I'm very pleased with.

Hi Keith, May I inquire on @Billsie's suggestion whether you sell/recommend/use anything like a USB purifier or a DDC. I'm about to order an Intona from Amazon to try and return if it makes no difference.
Firstly the Intona really does do what it says, but having said that I have only found it of benefit on one occasion an Audio Note dac that a customer was using, on properly designed equipment no difference whatsoever.
Keith

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.

advertisement

Back