advertisement

Bright star

When we were in Fuerteventura Dec 2019 the moon and two planets were in alignment, think it was Venus, Mercury and the Moon and maybe Jupiter higher up.

We were up in the north west of the Island at Il Cotillo.

I've a couple of photos I'll post them shortly.

0B46Y7x.jpg

When we were in Fuerteventura Dec 2019 the moon and two planets were in alignment, think it was Venus, Mercury and the Moon and maybe Jupiter higher up.

We were up in the north west of the Island at Il Cotillo.

I've a couple of photos I'll post them shortly.

0B46Y7x.jpg
I doubt that Mercury was bright enough to capture on a phone camera. It lurks close to the Sun, so it's difficult to catch: you have to wait for just after sunset, where it will be close to the horizon where there is maximum haze etc. Even with a telescope, it's not exactly bright. You most probably saw Venus and Jupiter or Saturn.

EDIT:
https://www.astronomytrek.com/night-sky-december-2019/
Based on the shape of the moon, you were there a few days before the full moon, maybe Dec 6 or 7. Jupiter was not visible then, and Mercury and Mars were visible before dawn, so probably Venus (very bright) and Saturn (not so bright). Both to the southwest and quite low on the horizon (but higher than what the UK article describes, as you were further south).

I doubt that Mercury was bright enough to capture on a phone camera. It lurks close to the Sun, so it's difficult to catch: you have to wait for just after sunset, where it will be close to the horizon where there is maximum haze etc. Even with a telescope, it's not exactly bright. You most probably saw Venus and Jupiter or Saturn.

EDIT:
https://www.astronomytrek.com/night-sky-december-2019/
Based on the shape of the moon, you were there a few days before the full moon, maybe Dec 6 or 7. Jupiter was not visible then, and Mercury and Mars were visible before dawn, so probably Venus (very bright) and Saturn (not so bright). Both to the southwest and quite low on the horizon (but higher than what the UK article describes, as you were further south).

That photo was taken on the 29th November 2019 at 18.45pm looking out to sea towards the west.

I'm sure there was a bit of a big deal at the time about the planets all being in a line and on the same orbit like that only happens every so many years etc.

Think that's the partial full moon at the top and I think there's a feint planet just above it.

That photo was taken on the 29th November 2019 at 18.45pm looking out to sea towards the west.

I'm sure there was a bit of a big deal at the time about the planets all being in a line and on the same orbit like that only happens every so many years etc.

Think that's the partial full moon at the top and I think there's a feint planet just above it.
Ah OK, so Saturn above the Moon, Venus below and Jupiter close to the horizon. Something like this (French simulation, so a bit further North than you were, which explains why your pic shows the planets higher in the sky. Scroll to the end of the article)
https://www.lemonde.fr/blog/autourd...sser-devant-le-soleil/28-et-29-novembre-2019/
https://asset.lemde.fr/prd-blogs/2019/11/e5ccfb99-28-et-29-novembre-2019.jpg

Two can see Saturn (almost dead centre above the horizon) and Jupiter (slightly to the right) in this Milky Way photo.

50170316097_5ab2ee7178_k.jpg

It's a 30-second exposure with a 14mm lens, so about as long as I could go before the stars started to appear as streaks.

Joe

Two can see Saturn (almost dead centre above the horizon) and Jupiter (slightly to the right) in this Milky Way photo.

50170316097_5ab2ee7178_k.jpg

It's a 30-second exposure with a 14mm lens, so about as long as I could go before the stars started to appear as streaks.

Joe
Amazing picture, Joe. Gazing at that I could imagine I was an astronaut on some sort of...star trek...

Bright star, would I were stedfast as thou art—
Not in lone splendour hung aloft the night
And watching, with eternal lids apart,
Like nature's patient, sleepless Eremite,
The moving waters at their priestlike task
Of pure ablution round earth's human shores,
Or gazing on the new soft-fallen mask
Of snow upon the mountains and the moors—
No—yet still stedfast, still unchangeable,
Pillow'd upon my fair love's ripening breast,
To feel for ever its soft fall and swell,
Awake for ever in a sweet unrest,
Still, still to hear her tender-taken breath,
And so live ever—or else swoon to death.

All stars go through a particular cycle depending on what type of star they are. Is the 100,000 years when it will explode or when we will see the explosion? I need to make arrangements...
I’m hoping it happened about 500 years ago and we’ll have something spectacular to watch any day now

Lovely Moon-Venus conjunction tonight, to the West. Separation only 2-3 degrees.

advertisement

Back