advertisement

Can you understand the text with background noise? test

tuga

Legal Alien
Here's another interesting (for me) audibility test:

Digit Triplet Test
This test is a web-based version of the English Digit Triplet Test (DTT), useful to determine how well you can understand speech in background noise. It can be performed with headphones or loudspeakers, but headphones are recommended. On completion, the test presents results as a downloadable PDF file and allows the user to email them to the researcher.

https://www.axdesign.co.uk/tools-and-devices/digit-triplet-test

I'm 49 and got SNR -8.27db with NAD HP50 heaphones into old MBP headphone out.
10/12 at -10dB :(

It's a flawed test...0 is not a number...ZERO is a number. Got all correct using PC speakers. :cool:

PS, I'm 71.

-6.5dB using my JBLs (the crapply little speakers aimed at my legs when my laptop is on my lap).

Last edited:
I got -8.50dB using the internal speaker on my iPad. I have no idea what that is supposed to mean, but if it helps anyone else gauge their performance I know I’m rubbish at hearing things against background noise.

I didn't realise it was going to be so long, I was bored halfway through it! :p

I listened over my MacBook Pro's internal speakers and received a score of -5.25dB. I got 27 correct out of 35, and of the 8 I got wrong, most were wrong because of failing to correctly hear one of the three digits, usually the number 5.

I repeated the test with Sennheiser HD600s and found it harder (presumably because I was now hearing the full frequency spectrum of the background noise), yet my score improved to -7.5dB. I got 28/35 correct this time.

In my results it wasn't just the SNR ratios that affected my score but the actual numbers being announced. E.g. I could easily hear the number 6 at -10dB but struggled with some of the 'softer' sounding numbers at -8dB and -6dB.

BTW - In the results pdf what does the 'Reversal' column represent?

Last edited:
SNR: -8.50db - is that bad..?

I got -8.50dB using the internal speaker on my iPad. I have no idea what that is supposed to mean, but if it helps anyone else gauge their performance I know I’m rubbish at hearing things against background noise.

Since most people at ASR coulnd't hear below -3.5dB, -8.50dB is likely to be a good result.

Another bod here who finds listening to speech over background noise quite difficult.
On my phone with ear buds.
My score was SNR: -5.75db

Here's another interesting (for me) audibility test:

Digit Triplet Test
This test is a web-based version of the English Digit Triplet Test (DTT), useful to determine how well you can understand speech in background noise. It can be performed with headphones or loudspeakers, but headphones are recommended. On completion, the test presents results as a downloadable PDF file and allows the user to email them to the researcher.

https://www.axdesign.co.uk/tools-and-devices/digit-triplet-test

how long does it take?

-4.85db just on phone speakers.

3 is quieter than all the rest of the numbers and there's not enough enunciation to hear the difference between 4 and 0, there's no fricassee on the F of 4.

5.5, I had problems with 4 and 0 mainly and also 2 with 3
I have never been able to hear speech in a loud environment

Same here. Find it hard to hear voices over noise. There's been a couple of series on the BBC that were terrible for this...
I smiled about the 'ASR comment' ;)

Needs an Inverness accent for maximum clarity, rather than the plummy S.E. accent used. I didn't realise "Ewhh" and "Fowh" were digits. I tend to use "zero" and "fouR"

Can't quite understand the results. How can "I" have a signal to noise ratio of -8db ? Or does this mean that I struggle to hear things with this level of noise? As I understand it, differentiating speech from background noise becomes harder as we get older. I know I am shite at it.

-7.75dB on JBL bluetooth headphones. I learned early on not to swallow during the audio or I'd miss a number! Also, I have tinnitus but it didn't seem to be a problem.

Needs an Inverness accent for maximum clarity, rather than the plummy S.E. accent used. I didn't realise "Ewhh" and "Fowh" were digits. I tend to use "zero" and "fouR"

Can't quite understand the results. How can "I" have a signal to noise ratio of -8db ? Or does this mean that I struggle to hear things with this level of noise? As I understand it, differentiating speech from background noise becomes harder as we get older. I know I am shite at it.

I think that your average pub/restaurant/street/shop noise is not as "tidy" as the one in the test. I was also surprised by my score.

I looked at the page and was disappointed at the lack of detail beyond "This test determines how well you can understand speech in background noise."

Also, as this test collects the result of a hearing test then if it records an IP address too which could identify the person, that could constitute sensitive personal information and I don't see enough detail to constitute "informed" even if taking the test constitutes explicit consent.

EDIT: Although perhaps the comment about sending the PDF to the researcher means you get better information and an informed choice at that point.

I extrapolate what little was revealed to suggest (no certainty) it determines a threshold relative to the noise level at which you get some proportion of the tests right (maybe 50%). So, I guess -8 dB means speech 8 dB below the noise level is that threshold. The reported numbers here correspond to my understanding of the approximate threshold from other sources. I expect the mean threshold for a set of test subjects to vary with how the test is done, but the test may reveal to the researchers something about variability between people.

advertisement

Back