advertisement

What are you reading these days?

Stardust-Neil Gaiman. I don’t think I get on with his stuff really, gave up on American Gods, I probably even spelled his name wrong too. Will finish this one though as it’s pretty short.

The Vinyl Detective: Flip Back. It can be a bit cheesy but I really enjoy this series - a middle-aged record dealer who spends his days trawling charity shops with his improbably glamorous American girlfriend gets drawn into solving unlikely mysteries. Lots of nerdy references to Garrard turntables, Quad ESLs etc. It's a little bit like Jonathan Creek but with records.

Amazon Link

Agreed, reading ‘written in dead wax’ from the series at the moment. Good fun, and some great Hifi references. Wavac, horns, good stuff.

This site contains affiliate links for which pink fish media may be compensated.
I dont read many books but find brummie kid by graham twist so enthralling about life in aston in the days of back to backs in smoky brum

I’m reading On the Snap, Brian Case’s very brief book of encounters with famous jazz musicians, writers and actors. I met Brian for a few moments when he was about to interview Abdullah Ibrahim after a gig in 1976. I got Abdullah’s autograph - I wish I’d got Brian’s too. The book is great - if this extract from the introduction makes you laugh, I’m sure you would enjoy it.

‘He’s taken live ammo to an Al Pacino interview, wrestled Will Self to the floor at a book launch and abruptly curtailed a Burt Lancaster press conference by calling him Mr Reynolds.’

Last edited:
I am ploughing my way through Anthony Trollope's 'Palliser' novels, which are a useful reminder from about 150 years ago that politics was just as cynical and dishonest a business then as it is now: 'I don't know which are the falser, [...] the mock courtesies or the mock indignations of statesmen'.

'The Films of Rick Dalton' by Quentin Tarantino. Half fiction story hovering around Charles Manson's murder of Sharon Tate. A number of movies are 'analyzed', some of them real, some fiction. Fun and exciting.

Peter Handke: Mein Jahr in der Niemandsbucht. Ein Märchen aus den neuen Zeiten (My Year in the No-Man’s-Bay)
I'm about halfway through the novel, top-notch writing.

Night’s Yawning Peal, an anthology edited by August Derleth and published in 1952. Uneven contents (and uneven page edges, as they’re uncut!) but some fun stuff in there.

Mick

I'm reading A Few Collectors by the late Pierre Le-Tan. Charmingly written accounts of his encounters with obsessive collectors. I especially like the chap who collected bit of crumpled paper and carefully displayed them in his living room. Amazon.

anyone want a copy of this. It is a great read - particularly if you've watched his recent TV series?

I'll post in exchange for a small charitable donation.

Screenshot-20221126-085941-Chrome.jpg

advertisement

Back