advertisement

Thorens TD-160 Plinths

Hoopsontoast

pfm Member
I've finally got round to making a new plinth for my inherited TD-160B Mk2.

I bought the planed Maple a year or so back and its been sat between a damp shed, warm house and a cool garage (along with a house move) so its warped ever so slightly.

I’ve some 12mm Valchromat coming for the base/shadow plinth and a little minor adjustment on the turntable support so it sits 100% flush then a finish with the Osmo.

The TD-160 I’ve basically done a ‘Super’ upgrade with Dynamat & Cork, Springs and a good all round service, just need to re-polish the platter and I’m almost there! I also have an SME armboard too for some future tweaking, the RB-250 will be going on here to start with, alongside a high mileage Ortfon Quintet Blue.

Next up is likely to be a Cherry version I think, I'd love to do a Rosewood but it's finding a good sustainable alternative.

Thorens TD-160 with Maple Plinth
by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Thorens TD-160
by Robert Seymour, on Flickr

Nice work Rob.

I like valchromat, I know it is only coloured MDF but it machines much nicer, more like a plastic.

Thanks, the Valchromat looks really nice, I think I will use it for my upcoming speaker project, for the speaker baffle.

Great job, the Super had a thick flat rubber mat which does a better job than the ridged mat.

Thanks, I'll do some research on alternative mats when its up and running.

On eBait there is a chap in Moldova who makes LS3/5A cabinets and also makes one piece solid wood plinths. Some of that wood has a beautiful grain.

advertisement

Back