advertisement

Cultural Imperialism via junk food

The French are serious about their food, but they are prepared to have McDo every now and then as a form of culinary entertainment. They seem not to regard the stuff as food but as an interesting diversion.

From the time I've spent in France I'd assumed they had more MacDonalds than the UK does, which seems to be backed up with a quick google (1,485 v 1,374) although it's closer than I'd expected.

AFAIK McDonalds failed initially in France. The French operation was then given considerable freedom to cater to the local market and became more successful.

AFAIK McDonalds failed initially in France. The French operation was then given considerable freedom to cater to the local market and became more successful.
Correct. Initially there was no beer available, and asking a French person to have food without the option of an alcoholic drink is utterly beyond the pale.

I read that article. I noted that there was reference to Carl's Jnr opening in the UK. I have very fond memories of some of their burgers when I was in California in early 1980s.

I would love to try another one - although if they are sized like 5 Guys I may have to pass - those things are huge.

Wendys made some nice burgers - mainly because you would order exactly what ingredients you wanted as you moved along the line.

Despite much time spent in the US of A, I have never so much as put a foot across the threshold of a Taco Bell. Nor many other chains come to that - but there a lot to choose from. Panera can be OK for lunch - but still the portions are incredibly over-sized!

I think fast food is mostly for younger people who can eat anything, but not worry about the health implications (salt, fat, etc.).

I’ve eaten my fair share, but stopped about 25 years ago. Only exceptions were a few road trips when there were no other options in sight.

Strongly prefer home cooked slow food!

I think fast food is mostly for younger people who can eat anything, but not worry about the health implications (salt, fat, etc.).

not round here - i love fast food - deep fried, battered, doner kebab pizza is a favourite around here.....

I admit I don't know what it is, so maybe it is wonderful, but I got a wave of queasiness when I read "deep fried, battered, doner kebab pizza."

it is what I state. Get a pizza cover it with doner meat, garlic sauce and chilli sauce. Roll it up, tie it off, dunk in the same batter you would coat fish in, and deep fry.

not round here - i love fast food - deep fried, battered, doner kebab pizza is a favourite around here.....

I wish you good health and a long life, but at some point, you may be faced with the same choice as most: adjusting your diet due to health issues.

it is what I state. Get a pizza cover it with doner meat, garlic sauce and chilli sauce. Roll it up, tie it off, dunk in the same batter you would coat fish in, and deep fry.
Ugh. You are joking, I take it, when you say you like it? I would have to be extremely hungry and with no choice to eat that. I speak as someone who has frequently lived on what was available, usually halfway up some mountain, so I'm far from precious about food.

Ugh. You are joking, I take it, when you say you like it? I would have to be extremely hungry and with no choice to eat that. I speak as someone who has frequently lived on what was available, usually halfway up some mountain, so I'm far from precious about food.
;)

Yes indeed. working in a cake bakery and keeping your BMI at a level that allows moderate sporting activity is far from easy.
I used to live near a chocolate factory. Rumour had it, employees there were allowed to eat as much as they wanted at work, but taking anything home was forbidden. Supposedly, that policy resulted in people stuffing their face the first week, then never touching chocolate again.

I don't get why people eat junk food regularly. It's often not cheaper than food from a real restaurant. For the cost of a Big Mac, large fries, a hot apple turnover to sear the insides of your mouth, and a drink you can get something far better and for about the same price from an independently run Lebanese, Cantonese or Indian restaurant.

I ate at a Taco Bell once and nearly had a fatal fart attack! Not so much me as the people around me.

Joe

my wife in her teenage years worked in a cheese packing place - she didn't eat cheese for a decade after she left.

I used to live near a chocolate factory. Rumour had it, employees there were allowed to eat as much as they wanted at work, but taking anything home was forbidden. Supposedly, that policy resulted in people stuffing their face the first week, then never touching chocolate again.
That's about right. You do still eat the stuff but being surrounded by it all day makes it really unattractive. Chocolate, in large quantities, has a very sickly, cloying odour, and it's really not attractive.
My best job was in a brewery. It was great, we brewed vinegar. I had all the vinegar I could drink, anytime I wanted.

and for about the same price from an independently run Lebanese, Cantonese or Indian restaurant.

that depends on where you live. We have a handful of the above around here, way more expensive than MacD

I wish you good health and a long life, but at some point, you may be faced with the same choice as most: adjusting your diet due to health issues.

Spoil-sport! Some people live to 110 eating like that, guzzling wines and spirits, smoking. Good luck to them! I would take a week to get over one if it did not prove fatal.

Completely true. I used to visit Mars in Slough and there are cabinets with snacks and drinks freely available all day. I have not had a mars bar for years now but used to like them and on a visit was offered a fresh one off the production line, holy cow! It was amazing, I said to my guide, I would weigh about 300lbs in a week if I worked here, and he laughed and said what you just mentioned, folks tend to stuff themselves in the first week but once they realise it is available all the time, don't bother any more and smell gets very sickly, you end up craving savoury stuff instead of chocolate.

my wife in her teenage years worked in a cheese packing place - she didn't eat cheese for a decade after she left.
I worked in dairy for many, many years and I still love dairy products. Last night there was a potato dish involving large quantities of cream and Brie, at lunchtime it was a Brie salad, and this evening there will be a pudding served with double cream. I could drink double cream like milk, except I would weigh 20st and make myself sick.

advertisement

Back