advertisement

RIP Glenn Croft

Me personally I would NEVER sell my Croft gear and many will feel the same. So do it sooner rather than later. Prices will undoubtedly go up and you will have missed out. And yes once constructed Croft's rarely fail but where they do repairs are very straigtforward for most competant technicians.
I have been selling the current range of Croft amps - 25 and 7 since their inception, around 15 years IIRC. During that time I sold a lot of them and to date have never had a single fault with any of them. The only 'faults' I had were one valve and one blown fuse. Not bad..:)

I have been selling the current range of Croft amps - 25 and 7 since their inception, around 15 years IIRC. During that time I sold a lot of them and to date have never had a single fault with any of them. The only 'faults' I had were one valve and one blown fuse. Not bad..:)

The same here that and a broken on/off switch. We spoke recently David, it's horrible that he's gone.

M

I have had the pleasure of running a Croft Series 3 amplifier for about 6 years now with my Quad 57 ELS speakers and it sounds amazing. Living in York it was a relatively short drive to Scarborough to take the amp to Glenn to sort out any issues. He was always really brilliant in his care for this old equipment. The transformer blew on the amp and Glenn rather than me having to spend £700 getting the transformer rewound put 4 toroidal transformers onto the amplifier and charged me £250 pounds for the whole job and it sounded better than before the transformer blew up! He was that sort of guy. I really hope my amp does carry on for many years to come. Glen just fitted a new set of output valves for me about 6 months ago so these should last 12-14 years with a bit of luck.

RIP Glenn - you will be missed.

hello by any chance any you have the schematic diagram of a croft model 7 power amp , mine is doing a weird humming sound and the technician has no idea how to fix it

thanks

I have the most basic knowledge of Glenn's solid-state designs, but if they are built along similar lines to his valve designs, they will be extremely robust but very basic circuits.
I would suggest trying someone else to look at it. If you are in the NE, you could try Jez Arkless.

I have no idea if it could be the valve, but changing it would have been my very first attempt to fix it. Is the problem definitely with the 7?

Lots of his circuits appear, scattered across the www, but all, or virtually all, that I have seen have been for pre's and have been drawn by owners who drew them out and put them online. They may exist, but I have not heard of a diagram coming from Glenn.

Glenn never ever supplied a diagram for any of his products. He really didn't want anyone to take advantage.

So, if you see a diagram it is not from Glenn.

They are mind-numbingly simple circuits - you have a tech' that is bamboozled by it not being on circuit-board.
They need to either sit and draw the circuit out if they are really struggling, or pass on trying to do a repair.

Have you tried changing the valve?

They are mind-numbingly simple circuits - you have a tech' that is bamboozled by it not being on circuit-board.
They need to either sit and draw the circuit out if they are really struggling, or pass on trying to do a repair.

When Mr Croft was unavailable due I now think to the cricket Test season some years ago Mark Manwaring White (Malvern Audio Research) traced & replaced a duff capacitor in the Croft phono stage in a Vitale case that Len Gregory asked Mr Croft to make for me. I think they were friends.

Mark later made the Croft dual 6.3v & 12.6v so I could use Russian valves or Western valves, last Thursday he fitted a pair of silver plated phono sockets & a pair of SUT's in the Vitale case wired to the Croft Eq circuit. The Croft is now MC & MM/MI compatible. I also bought a Hana ML from him, seems strange after 25 ish years of Lens cartridges feeding the Croft with the ML I must confess the Hana ML works brilliantly in the Hadcock 242 Silver plus feeding the MC SUT adapted Croft.

Mark has made me an Audio Detail (his own manufacturing name) 5U4G replacement Solid State Rectifier & a 6.3v liner PSU, he has also worked on my valve Ming da MC7R pre which like the Croft has point to point wiring, unlike my valve Rogue Atlas Magnum power that he also repaired & improved it uses a PCB, Mark has been building valve amps etc since a young teen,

I must add that Mark Manwaring White over time has become a friend, though I have no financial link other than as a happy paying customer.

https://www.malvernaudioresearch.co.uk/

from what he told me he only has checked the caps .

from what he told me he only has checked the caps .

He really has no clue.

Changing the valve takes 30-60 seconds and would logically be THE thing to go for first, even if it proved that it was not the problem, apart from checking that the fault was genuinely with the 7 - another source/pre' into different speakers would sort that.

Last edited:
He really has no clue.

Changing the valve takes 30-60 seconds and would logically be THE thing to go for first, even if it proved that it was not the problem, apart from checking that the fault was genuinely with the 7 - another source/pre' into different speakers would sort that.
the speakers are fine i tried with amp and sounds good also tried the amp with another speaker same buzzing sound ... im going to give the tech a week and im going to pick it up to try another technician :/

anyways thank you all for the reply's

UPPPPP

Still looking for schematic of a Croft acoustics model 7 power amp.

technician conclude that may be a ground issue ....

I think you need to find another tech!

Back in the 1980s I used to draw out most of the circuits from the circuit boards and hard wiring. It was all part of the job to fix problems as diagrams were non existent. Even the distributors didn't have them...

I think you need to find another tech!

Back in the 1980s I used to draw out most of the circuits from the circuit boards and hard wiring. It was all part of the job to fix problems as diagrams were non existent. Even the distributors didn't have them...
yes , im working on that already jejeje

hello by any chance any you have the schematic diagram of a croft model 7 power amp , mine is doing a weird humming sound and the technician has no idea how to fix it

thanks
There were never any schematics. Glenn's designs were in his head. You'd be lucky to get noise figures. Never any manuals either. Just take em out of the box and plug them in. And a plain box at that.

M

advertisement

Back