advertisement

In praise of Glenn Croft

Very happy with my Phono Integrated. Currently running fostex fe127e and soon to be partnered with Falcon Q7s.

Wonder if the Croft brand will keep on going after Glenn retires. Is there a chance some of his assistants will pick up the reins?

As per Glenn's vociferously stated wishes this will not happen.

OK, here is a Glen 911 story?

Back in the mid 1980s I used to occasionally bump into Glen at Hifi_Dave's shop Radlett Audio. Glen used to come in a variety of 911's, but the one that stood out for me was a lovely 3.2 Carrera in Martini colours, similar to the one below.

Martini-911.jpg

In the early 1990s I became very friendly with Tom Fletcher of Nottingham Analogue fame and we did some Hi-Fi Shows together, plus I helped him with a couple of his projects. Tom suggested I become a Croft dealer so I called up Glen and ordered a couple of amps. This was well before I started my own Tron brand. I knew the Croft amps quite well as I had serviced most of the range since about 1986 and owned his top model "The Mega". Anyway, Glen used to deliver his amps by hand, so I used to get a nice visit from him, usually on his way back to Erdington from delivering to his London dealers. I remember one visit, I was in the workshop and I heard this very loud exhaust noise coming up the road, which could only have been from a Porsche flat 6. After handing me a nice Epoch preamplifier, I couldn't help but notice this extremely strong smell, which was a combination of petrol, oil and exhaust fumes which must have come from Glens clothes. We had a cup of tea together then I got to check out his 911. This 911 was a far cry from the one he had in Martini colours. This one was completely stripped out with no insulation or sound deadening inside, lighten to the absolute limit, even more so than the RS model, plus the engine had been tweaked too. I couldn't help noticing that behind the seat there were some big holes in the body work above and around the gearbox. You could see the road plus the gearbox and engine through these holes. Ahh! That's were the smell came from! After about an hour Glen got back in his 911 and sped back to Erdington, with all my neighbours pulling back their curtains trying to see what was making all the noise...

Was that the tatty red one with the shiny Compomotive alloys and sun faded perspex windows?

There was a second seat sat on a pile of packing boxes in his front room to be fitted if he ever had to take a passenger.

It was always hilarious to me.

M

Reactions: GT
The last time I went to see Glen in Erdington he still had his stacked Quads. I wonder if he still has them in Scarborough?

He took the Quads to Scarborough along with lots of spare panels. They never did get reinstated into a system which I often asked him about. He was happy enough with what he had in the workshop.

M

Reactions: GT
Was that the tatty red one with the shiny Compomotive alloys and sun faded perspex windows?

There was a second seat sat on a pile of packing boxes in his front room to be fitted if he ever had to take a passenger.

It was always hilarious to me.

M

Thats the one.

When I first started selling Croft amps in the early 80s, there was no packing, just black plastic bin bags smelling of cat wee.

Always makes me smile when customers ask about the " instruction book" and "warranty certificate". Good luck with that..:rolleyes:

Have a croft Six Pack and seen off others at ten times the price
sixpack_m.jpg

Looking back at this older thread daytona - I have PM'd you for advice about Croft in general because it certainly looks like you have the experience .... (or I will PM you shortly).

There have been almost countless circuits used by Glenn over the years, inside boxes that were labelled with far fewer model designations. Many of the circuits are available online and if one thing is for sure, none of them were ever potted, so copying is simplicity itself. Comments from Jez Arkless over time suggests that the circuits are very far from revolutionary anyway.

Surely producing the very same but with another brand on the boxes would be more than viable???? Comment @G T Audio or @Radlett Audio ?

A mate gave me a 90s Technics integrated with motorised analogue pots and switches. Maybe similar are still out there for peanuts.

There have been almost countless circuits used by Glenn over the years, inside boxes that were labelled with far fewer model designations. Many of the circuits are available online and if one thing is for sure, none of them were ever potted, so copying is simplicity itself. Comments from Jez Arkless over time suggests that the circuits are very far from revolutionary anyway.

Surely producing the very same but with another brand on the boxes would be more than viable???? Comment @G T Audio or @Radlett Audio ?

As I said in an earlier post. Servicing/repairing Glenn's amp should not be a problem for any competent engineer. I did it for many years both as a Croft dealer and also for other HiFi Dealers in and around the south of England. If you have any mono amps make sure you get the other matching amplifier done at the same time, otherwise the amps may sound different if any parts have to be replaced.

If you have any mono amps make sure you get the other matching amplifier done at the same time, otherwise the amps may sound different if any parts have to be replaced.

Not quite the same issue as Graham raises, but I bought a second Series 5 for bi-amping, and when I looked underneath there were a few differences, including the values of the coupling caps.

I bought all my Croft gear from KJ West One, and they told me that you could never rely on two of his amps being the same, even when the serial numbers were very close (as mine were).

Alex

Not quite the same issue as Graham raises, but I bought a second Series 5 for bi-amping, and when I looked underneath there were a few differences, including the values of the coupling caps.

I bought all my Croft gear from KJ West One, and they told me that you could never rely on two of his amps being the same, even when the serial numbers were very close (as mine were).

Alex

KJ were correct. I never found two of Glenn's power amps the same when they had been bought separately, as in one started off as a stereo amp and then a second one was bought and then both were modded for monoblock operation. OK you will get the same output, but if they are built with different components inside, ultimately the two amps will sound slightly different.

KJ were correct. I never found two of Glenn's power amps the same when they had been bought separately, as in one started off as a stereo amp and then a second one was bought and then both were modded for monoblock operation. OK you will get the same output, but if they are built with different components inside, ultimately the two amps will sound slightly different.

That was true in the early years, however after the breakup of Eminent Audio the range was standardised and remained unmolested in the Croft Acoustics (second era). Unless of course the customer requested custom upgrades, but essentially all of the Micro 25s, Rs, Series 7s, Rs, were consistent from 2007 onwards.

M

after the breakup of Eminent Audio the range was standardised and remained unmolested in the Croft Acoustics (second era). Unless of course the customer requested custom upgrades, but essentially all of the Micro 25s, Rs, Series 7s, Rs, were consistent from 2007 onwards.

Impossible to prove one way or the other, but I very much doubt that that is true. It had not been the case before.
If you add the word "nominally" in there somewhere, you would be on far safer ground.

advertisement

Back