advertisement

Favourite new album releases of 2022

ikr. I’ve hardly wanted to hear the additional songs, but they’re pretty good as well. Perhaps a little intense for Midnights...

I don’t know if I’m becoming less of a music snob as I get older, but there’s a few ‘pop’ lps that I’ve loved this year.

Rosalias ‘Motomami’ is one of them. A really diverse, clever LP. This will certainly be in my end of year top ten.

And whilst we’re doing top ten 2022 … I know there’s not many rap fans on here but White Girl Wasted will certainly be in my list. SonnyJim’s cheeky Midlands flow sits perfectly over some top notch beats and sampling. This, from the album, featuring bars from MF DOOM

The one I’ve played the most.

NzUtMTU0NS5qcGVn.jpeg

A.O.Grober - Meet me at the Gloaming

Another of those oddly familiar sounds, but still its own thing. Completely new artist to me, this appears to be her second album.

Tempting as it sounds good and is my kind of edition number, but best part of £20 for postage is a deal breaker. Another Brexit benefit.

Yes, enjoying the Str4ta, I got in nice and early there and snagged one of the numbered & limited (100) white labels. I’ve got the white label of their first one too.

Just had a skim through the Mojo top 50, Michael Head at number 1 with a pretty workmanlike album. Big Thief opus gets a mention in the lower reaches, no accounting for taste.

Hoping my royksopp profound mysteries box set appears in the next few days. I ordered it back in August, it was the "limited edition" with supposedly only 2000 getting made. Checking other sites afterwards and it was sold out everywhere but I just seen royksopp are selling it again but this time the release date isn't till February 2023.

Its a bit annoying they just keep producing the limited edition rather than it being just that.

The murky sound of old mixtapes coming from a Nova parked outside your house with the windows up...

Actress and Dummy Corporation. Called an EP, though it won’t fit on one side of a C-90SMMST.

Just had a skim through the Mojo top 50, Michael Head at number 1 with a pretty workmanlike album. Big Thief opus gets a mention in the lower reaches, no accounting for taste.

The only list I tend to get on with usually is Pitchfork's.

Really liking the Danger Mouse/Black Thought album, get a big Wu Tang vibe from it. Probably my most played of this years releases along with the Steve Lacy album.

advertisement

Back