advertisement

Audiophile Network Switches for Streaming ... really ?

Nope, genuine question. How about you? Nothing else to do other than keep banging on?

You had an opportunity to engage with the points I made in post #649 and refute any of them you found to be wrong.
Instead you trotted out one of the usual bland one-liners that seem to be your stock-in-trade. I replied 'in kind', which is all it deserved.

There was nothing even remotely 'confused' about #649 - and if you have the background you claim to have you would know that, so instead of engaging with it you just chuck out the usual mud-slinging, insults and irrelevancies you have used throughout this thread (and are still doing)

All this just flak to distract from any criticism of your 'miracle switch cure' .....

I've read enough of those snide responses from you in the past ... so I'm out. Enjoy yourself :)

Last edited:
And this is where it all gets a little sad, Chilly. I'm not pushing any product at all, I'm "pushing" the reality that any network switch will do something for sound quality (if properly installed, not related to the digital domain, etc etc) as I would be (and was) well before I had any commercial interest. I'd do the same in other areas of hifi; if I "push" my general preference for Class A over Class D then it doesn't mean I'm trying to make money out of Class A. Same here with switches.

I genuinely find it sad that there is such a dominant cynical view that if someone dares to even think about moving into the commercial side of hifi then simply everything they write must be driven by that commercial agenda. I've been "in hifi" for decades. I love music and I love kit, like everyone on this forum (I hope). I've made the brave decision that at last I'm going to try to carve out a livelihood from something I love rather than from my day job. I'm around £8,000 in and counting... and do I hear "bravo" from my fellow audiophiles? No, far from it. It would be nice if fellow Fishies gave a guy a break rather than sniping and carping. Not you![/
What recognised qualifications do you hold, and what training or experience have you had, in any branch of electronics specifically, or science more generally?

You had an opportunity to engage with the points I made in post #649 and refute any of them you found to be wrong.
Instead you trotted out one of the usual bland one-liners that seem to be your stock-in-trade. I replied 'in kind', which is all it deserved.

I've read enough of those responses from you in the past ... so I'm out. Enjoy yourself :)
I am, thanks*

*this may be a lie

What recognised qualifications do you hold, and what training or experience have you had, in any branch of electronics specifically, or science more generally?
What on earth has this got to do with it? Do you have recognised qualifications yourself? Do you need them in order to justify your right to contribute to this thread?

Oh go, on then. Fellow of the British Computer Society (FBCS), Eur. Ing, Charted IT Engineer C. Eng, Chartered IT Professional (CITP), BSc Computer Science, MSc Managing Change. Black belt tae kwon do. Beginner's swimming certificate.

None of these qualifications have anything to do with the views I have expressed here, but you did ask.

Your turn.:)

So is the plan to make a product and then sell it with a robustly measured set of performance specs or are going the other route and slapping a load of ferrites to hosepipe and sticking two noughts to the cost to get an msrp?

So is the plan to make a product and then sell it with a robustly measured set of performance specs or are going the other route and slapping a load of ferrites to hosepipe and sticking two noughts to the cost to get an msrp?

Foul!

The plan is to sell something which genuinely makes a sonic difference. Feel free to bring your calipers.

And this is where it all gets a little sad, Chilly. I'm not pushing any product at all, I'm "pushing" the reality that any network switch will do something for sound quality (if properly installed, not related to the digital domain, etc etc) as I would be (and was) well before I had any commercial interest. I'd do the same in other areas of hifi; if I "push" my general preference for Class A over Class D then it doesn't mean I'm trying to make money out of Class A. Same here with switches.

I genuinely find it sad that there is such a dominant cynical view that if someone dares to even think about moving into the commercial side of hifi then simply everything they write must be driven by that commercial agenda. I've been "in hifi" for decades. I love music and I love kit, like everyone on this forum (I hope). I've made the brave decision that at last I'm going to try to carve out a livelihood from something I love rather than from my day job. I'm around £8,000 in and counting... and do I hear "bravo" from my fellow audiophiles? No, far from it. It would be nice if fellow Fishies gave a guy a break rather than sniping and carping. Not you!

Please don't get me wrong, my comment was not aimed at you, just at the general bumf and waffle on plenty of websites.

If it floats your boat, then happy times!

What on earth has this got to do with it? Do you have recognised qualifications yourself? Do you need them in order to justify your right to contribute to this thread?

Oh go, on then. Fellow of the British Computer Society (FBCS), Eur. Ing, Charted IT Engineer C. Eng, Chartered IT Professional (CITP), BSc Computer Science, MSc Managing Change. Black belt tae kwon do. Beginner's swimming certificate.

None of these qualifications have anything to do with the views I have expressed here, but you did ask.

Your turn.:)

pah you didn’t pass your cycling proficiency test then!

Long post alert! If you fall asleep reading it…. sweet dreams!
Original system: Naim UnitiServe - NDX - 202 - 200 - Linn Ninkas morphing into :-
Present system: Euphony 2 Box (Intel NUC) server/streamer (with Sean Jacobs LPS) running Roon Core to Euphony Stylus EP (connected to home network via DX Engineering RF filter) - Teddy DAC - Teddy PR1 - TP MB100s - Revel F208s

I’ve been following this thread with interest and frankly I’ve become more and more irritated by all the talk of expectation bias. I’ve seen the videos and always spotted the gorilla playing basketball and wandering across the dance hall. I know that adding a Teddy Pardo power supply to my UnitiServe resulted in an immediate and worthwhile improvement to the sound of my streaming setup. My findings echoed various reviews. I didn’t try removing the PS and reverting to the original Naim PS (why would I, it sounded better and I enjoyed it). Adding the Sean Jacobs power supply to my server/streamer didn’t immediately improve the sound but one day (probably some weeks later) things sounded much better. My thoughts were that it must be the new PS (I’d expected to have to give the PS some time to “burn in”). I didn’t take the PS away and revert to the original power blocks supplied with the NUCs to check…why would I, it sounded better and I enjoyed it. A year or so ago, after reading about them on the Audiophile Style website, I bought a couple of DX Engineering RF filters (about £50). Wow, for the money, they effected a clear improvement to the sound of my system. I didn’t remove them to check if the sound deteriorated without them..why would I?

A few years ago, I went speaker shopping for the day to Hull. I’d read tons of reviews and knew that Focal Sopra 1s would be perfect for me and if per chance they weren’t then PMC Twenty5 24s would be. Well the Sopras were so bright, they were almost painful to listen to and the PMCs were so dull and boring I left the shop shaking my head in disbelief. Clearly, if expectation bias exists I’m immune to it.

A couple of weeks ago I decided to contact HAF with a view to having some convolution filters created to hopefully help the soundstage and calm some perceived brightness. Thierry produced an initial set of filters that I inserted into Roon which rather than improving things, seemed to suck all the life out of the music. (My ears won out over any expectation bias!) A second set of filters sounded much better. I was very chuffed!

Last week, my wife and I had a few days in Scotland (I don’t think they’ll ever need to worry about a water shortage). One morning whilst eating my cornflakes I was treated to “I’d rather go blind” by Beth Hart piped over the hotel sound system. When we got home on Saturday evening I listened to the same track on my HiFi. Bloody hell, was it good. I sat grinning at the fabulous sound, improved so much by the new convolution filters inserted into Roon. I have subsequently played track after track this week transfixed by how good they sound. My daughter humoured me and asked about the filters, so this evening I showed her the Roon DSP window on my iPad only to find that at some stage I’d erased my favoured filter and the system was playing without any filters at all! I’ve now reinserted the filters and it all sounds even better. (Have I finally become susceptible to expectation bias,as clearly something has been going on in my head this week)

So, will I swap out either of the power supplies or get rid of the RF filters? Of course I won’t. My system sounds the best it has ever sounded and I really enjoy it. Will I appraise future changes to my system more thoroughly? Yes, probably. Do I now believe in expectation bias? Yes probably.

Is this hobby fun? YES IT IS!!

Night night
Zzzzzzzz

advertisement

Back