advertisement

Upgrade from Rega RS5 loudspeaker

Sound like the tweeters
Try disconnecting them

You're mistaking me for someone who knows what they're doing.

Ok, so I've performed the scientific test of placing my ear in close proximity to the cones, and the tweeters sounds ok. The distortion seems to emanate from the front mid-bass drivers.

And in doing so... I've just noticed that half of the front mid-bass driver on the left speaker has actually come away from the rubber surround. Either it's gotten worse or I was initially very unobservant!

The right hand driver looks ok, but when I direct the balance to that side it still sounds distorted, so further investigation required*

*but definitely fcuked

R/RS7 not bad either.
In fact the best in my room followed by RX3 talking Rega only.
Ela were the classic, pro's and con, looking from today, a true bargain if you can find a cared pair.
R/RS5 boomed too much but probably room issues.

Nevertheless Rega loudspeakers are quite special as they do things like prat and involvement different/better and not what average hifi listener expect such as laid back wide soundstage and tone, hence taste vary.

I think the Regas are ok, a bit unrefined, not surprising as the drivers are bargain basement. Something like a used pair of ProAc 2.5 would be a step up having heard both. Bigger soundstage, a lot more refinement particularly in the top end but still dynamic, they really pay back upgrades too though 30 W is probably the bare minimum power wise. Old speakers but still excellent. Studio 200 a good one too. Less than a grand buys a mint pair in either case. The more expensive Fynes are good too but you’re out of that price bracket.

I think the Regas are ok, a bit unrefined, not surprising as the drivers are bargain basement. Something like a used pair of ProAc 2.5 would be a step up having heard both. Bigger soundstage, a lot more refinement particularly in the top end but still dynamic, they really pay back upgrades too though 30 W is probably the bare minimum power wise. Old speakers but still excellent. Studio 200 a good one too. Less than a grand buys a mint pair in either case. The more expensive Fynes are good too but you’re out of that price bracket.

When you say 'bargain basement' do you mean 'made in house'?

to the OP, as it seems that you've enjoyed your speakers for quite a while (though a bit wanting) I join those who've suggested replacing the amp. the Cairn's 30W/ch output isn't really enough for a speaker the RS5s are, rather, a good 80/100W/ch is what it really needs - and what transforms it for sure. I know what I'm speaking of for I owned a pair of RS5s some 12 years ago. also, the RS5s are more than ample to make (even quite loud) music in a room with your's dimensions, no worries. thus, I strongly advise you to get the speakers fixed and buy a different amp - like an Atoll IN100 (or 200), AVI 2000MP or 21, Magnum IA160 or 200, Sonneteer Alabaster, or Sansui AU-X701 (yes, it's great!). what's more, it'd in total cost considerbaly less IMHO than a different pair of the so far suggested speakers (with the money for the sale of the Cairn you get taken into the equation)... good luck, mate :)

I was under the impression that, although only 30w, the first 10w being class A made a big difference? It can certainly go loud enough to fill the room and never feels overwhelmed. It replaced a far more powerful Roksan Caspian (Quad 22l2 at the time). But…this is all several years ago,perhaps time for a rethink.

If your dealer could lend you a Rega Elex/R or a Nait 5i, this will give you a hint.

I was under the impression that, although only 30w, the first 10w being class A made a big difference? It can certainly go loud enough to fill the room and never feels overwhelmed.

If you are happy with what you have you could just get the speakers fixed and stick with it. After all, it is unlikely your son will repeat this mistake and changing the system might result in less satisfaction with it. Upgrading isn't a legal requirement ;0)

advertisement

Back