advertisement

80's amp and speakers advice

Quad 34/405 or 306 with Mission 737R's ? or a Nad 3140 with same?

Big room probably wants quite a big amp and speakers.

Epos ES14's were also just about in the 80's and work well with with Naim or Exposure but getting harder to find a good pair
Similarly Kef 104.2's but you're starting to stretch the budget there assuming the LP12 must have swallowed at leas the first £500

How strictly 80's does it need to be since if you open up to 90's speakers there's quite a lot more to choose from.

Quad 34/405 or 306 with Mission 737R's ? or a Nad 3140 with same?

Big room probably wants quite a big amp and speakers.

Epos ES14's were also just about in the 80's and work well with with Naim or Exposure but getting harder to find a good pair
Similarly Kef 104.2's but you're starting to stretch the budget there assuming the LP12 must have swallowed at leas the first £500

How strictly 80's does it need to be since if you open up to 90's speakers there's quite a lot more to choose from.
Sorry if the original post wasn’t clear, the lp12 is already bought, I’ve assumed a ballpark budget of £1k to cover amp, speakers and cables, and maybe a new mm cart.

Well in that case, and also stretching the 8o's thing a bit the kef 104.2.s with a Naim 102/180

The 102 is an unbelievable bargain compared to the shoebox preamps at current prices and is very upgradeable.

You need to be very careful sourcing the 104.2's since a lot of them have rotten tweeters and badly re-foamed bass units.

The 80's is really becoming a very long time ago!

Going a bit more 90's Ruark Tallisman and Crusader models enter the reckoning.

Rotel, Creek, Exposure, Onix, Incatek would be the amps I'd be looking at. Exposure X top of the list maybe?

Too many speakers to list but something from Neat, Heybook HB1s or Royds if you can find ones that have not dissolved. Not Keilidhs, too shut in at low volume and need too much amp to work. Not Naim Credo/Intro as sound too rough without proper quality in front of them and marginal even with it.

A60 with Heybrook HB2's (if you can find them). They were a great combo. I switched my HB2's for Kans when I changed to Naim amps but the Kans never really came alive until active and powered by 135's (and then they were pretty awesome).

I switched my HB2's for Kans when I changed to Naim amps but the Kans never really came alive until active and powered by 135's (and then they were pretty awesome).

Yeah, love Kans but they are just too truculent for a newb.

two very different suggestions

Meridian 101 and M2 speakers. Timeless design and they sound good too!

NAD 302 amp (late 80s version of the 3020 with remote control) or NAD 701 as a receiver, together with Monitor Audio R352 speakers. Fun, enjoyable, big speakers for a big room.

Tell your friend to look outside the Linn, Naim, Kan window.

Another 80's timeless amp is the musical fidelity A1, 20W per channel but probably enough for the R352s.

A classic pairing back then would be an LP12, 42/110 and Kans and when I had this it worked well in small rooms and in the lounge of my first house. Not sure if you would get this within budget and I would also consider a pair of Ela Mk1s which are ridiculously cheap now unlike early Kans. I happen to have a pair of early Ela's that are currently waiting for me to get around to selling once I work out what they are worth.

My vote:

NAD 3020 (1980s version of any iteration)
MAGNAT All-Ribbon 6

Have owned this combo personally - with our LP12/ITTOK.

Really magnificent sound, provided the NAD is in spec and it’s EL caps are fresh.

(Very close to full-range too!)

I had a linn front end with nytech 252 and kef celeste IVs back in the 80s and it was great fun . Old tweeters can sound a bit dull though particularly with dry ferrofluid .

Has anyone suggested a NAD 3020? I think it was launched in the late 70s and dominated the market through the 80s. I know, a little boring, but I enjoyed them at the time!

A&R A60 and Heybrook HB1 or Epos 14
Exposure X or XV and above 'spks.

If your play your cards well then

Exposure VII pre and VIII power and NAIM SBL's could be landed for 1K.

Avoid Kans like the plague!

advertisement

Back