advertisement

When these came up in the classifieds I immediately told myself to stop even looking. The Wilson Benesch Discovery 2s were/are fantastic, but I’d already decided that I needed bass in my life, and after an extended demo decide against*. I thought I’d look to scale back and save some money…

But, I live in Worthing.

Where these beautiful things call home.

They are B&W 802 D3s.

So, my resistance lasted only a week at most, and a long round trip (with excellent stop over!) ensued.

These have a similar quality to the Discoveries, but with another octave of bass. And that last octave of bass has significant impact on what you might associate with mid-range. I really, really, hope these are the grail.

Relatively poor pic, but just wanted to share my joy as I sit hear listening to them. At 95kg per speaker, I think I’m stuck with them. In the best way one can be stuck. Even Mrs Wb likes them, and she’s stuck with me, so there we go.

52462994865_fc7161b39c_c.jpg

* edit: forgot the p.s. Wilson Benesch have been fantastic. Cannot recommend them highly enough.
When these came up in the classifieds I immediately told myself to stop even looking. The Wilson Benesch Discovery 2s were/are fantastic, but I’d already decided that I needed bass in my life, and after an extended demo decide against*. I thought I’d look to scale back and save some money…

But, I live in Worthing.

Where these beautiful things call home.

They are B&W 802 D3s.

So, my resistance lasted only a week at most, and a long round trip (with excellent stop over!) ensued.

These have a similar quality to the Discoveries, but with another octave of bass. And that last octave of bass has significant impact on what you might associate with mid-range. I really, really, hope these are the grail.

Relatively poor pic, but just wanted to share my joy as I sit hear listening to them. At 95kg per speaker, I think I’m stuck with them. In the best way one can be stuck. Even Mrs Wb likes them, and she’s stuck with me, so there we go.

52462994865_fc7161b39c_c.jpg

* edit: forgot the p.s. Wilson Benesch have been fantastic. Cannot recommend them highly enough.

Very very nice. I have a soft spot for the 800 series. One day….

Well, I guess I have been here long enough to share my system now, so here goes. First off, we have downsized & decluttered in a big (!) way, so my listening space is a small 13ft x 11ft, with my ears around 7ft from the speakers.

0VxHZQal.jpg

NiUqvvFl.jpg

HpX6Vmwl.jpg

GjmdPb7l.jpg

Turntable is a Nottingham Analog Ace Spacedeck, with a Analog Instruments 12 inch unipivot Siggwan tonearm (in cocobolo wood but I have wrapped it in gloss black to match the TT, with a Koetsu Urushi Vermillion cartridge. Phono stage is a Big Bottle 3. Pre is a new design from Alpha2Delta unity gain, & a Line Magnetic LM518IA 845, used as a power amp. Speakers are Art Moderne 8's. Almost forgot, I am using an old Sony SACD player as a transport, with A modified Jolida Glass FX DAC II.

Wow - look beautiful
Do you feel tehy are 'right' for your room - and not 'oversized' '?

Have rearranged to something like final layout. Hoping to get a bespoke double width cabinet from @Knipester, if he can do something for me, that would sit in front of the left large glass door. The picture is wide-angle, so exaggerates a little - the room is 5.2m by 4m (17ft by 13ft).

Also trying to get someone out to quote for a wood/multi-fuel burner to replace the unnecessarily wide fireplace, but they’re rather busy at the moment! Probably a summer project.

52479440140_9f04c13a50_c.jpg

Went and bought this little number yesterday, I’m speaker less at the moment, so only playing out of headphones and straight from MacBook, so far from hearing the best, but even with that the Class A thing is somewhat beguiling. I can’t help feeling like an 8 year old who has just opened up a Scalextric set on Christmas morning waiting to the mains to be re connected!! :rolleyes:

52481205072_a07689fe2b_b.jpg

advertisement

Back