advertisement

Any fans of PSB speakers?

x21

pfm Member
Hey all,

I wanted to see if there's any fans of PSB speakers, and if so, ask what you like about them.

No longer a fan but listened for hours and hours many moons ago......
Memory fails so I don’t remember the model number but they were 1 cubic foot large monitors with a polypropylene woofer and a soft dome tweeter from the 80’s.
They were not overly detailed but they were sweet sounding and non fatiguing for long listening sessions.
If I was to buy something from this brand, that would be it but more for ambiance music while doing other things such as having a beer or dinner while listening to music instead of sitting in front of the speakers with my ears wide open.
Not familiar with the recent models though.

Reactions: x21
I had a pair of PSB 50 Mkii and I remember listening to them for many hours. The 50s had 2 cubic foot boxes with an 8" poly driver. I used to run them with a small tube amp and it was heavenly. I quite miss these now.

I am currently using PSB Alpha B1 and while they are more detailed they are also very easy to listen to for hours. Surprisingly full and fairly quick when called upon on the end of a brio(2017).

X21, which PSB models are you interested in? Many Synchrony models have been tested by Stereophile and have received generally favourable comments.

The Synchrony Ones, which I know well, have a smooth uncoloured sound, good dispersion, good power handling and a low end that does not need to be reinforced by a subwoofer. A 100 W amp is adequate, but they can take more power. They can hold their own against similarly priced speakers currently in production. I’ve not heard the bookshelf models or the more recent Synchronoy 600.

Stereophile tested the Ones and liked them. See:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/psb-synchrony-one-loudspeaker-measurements

Paul Barton is a great designer especially when given a budget constraint.

I have a pair of the wired PSB headphones and they're outstanding for the price. Unfortunately you look like a dork wearing them.

I've heard both the newish Alpha P5 and T20 and they are exceptionally good for the asking price.

Whatever formula he uses is a good one, somewhat reminds me of the British made Mission speakers from their heyday. Not the be all end all but fun to listen to and relatively easy to drive.

I had a great pair of bookshelf’s with the PSB matching stands, can’t recall the model but only sold them as the walnut / lacquer faded to white from being in a hot sunny room. Soundwise brilliant, good bass and very nice mid range / vocals.

Bought them new and the box for the stands was the size of a small fridge!

Not many places to get them new in the UK.

EDIT… PSB Imagine Mini’s.

I had a great pair of bookshelf’s with the PSB matching stands, can’t recall the model but only sold them as the walnut / lacquer faded to white from being in a hot sunny room. Soundwise brilliant, good bass and very nice mid range / vocals.

Bought them new and the box for the stands was the size of a small fridge!

Not many places to get them new in the UK.

EDIT… PSB Imagine Mini’s.

I wanted to buy a set but they stopped making the stands.

I owned a pair of Image T2s. Nice speakers if not played loud, but the tweeter's somewhat "sparkly" character got to me in the end.

advertisement

Back