advertisement

80's amp and speakers advice

Spiderous

pfm Member
Hello,

a friend of mine is building a new system from the ground up, and has recently acquired an early 80's LP12/Basik LV-X (the cartridge on it looks like an Audio Technica moving magnet of some sort, but i've no idea of its condition). He's after some recommendations for an amp and speakers from the same period. He hasn't set a budget, but doesn't want to go mad. Let's assume he would like to keep the total spend below £1k. The system will be in quite a large room I'm told.

What would you guys be recommending?

There's a Nytech 252 in the classifieds. Also a pair of Spendor BC1.

Otherwise, how about a Quad 44/405, and something by Royd.

Thanks for the replies. I was going to suggest perhaps a Quad pre/power combo. Do the 34 and 44 pre amps have a phono stage?

Of course they do! They were born before CD arrived. For convenience try to find one with a CD input.

I for one like my vinyl bright. But I don’t remember Kans being especially bright.
On the other hand, the Quad combo is rather mellow sounding.

And some cotton wool to mop up the blood from your ears.

I had a NAIT and Kans in a largish sparsely furnished studio flat with a wooden floor and floor-to-ceiling windows along one side. Ferocious when turned up.

I have some of the other amps mentioned on the subs bench (CA252, A60, Delta 60). Not quite period correct, but the Delta 60 and Epos ES11s are great together.

My brother in law had a 42 240 and kans I could feel the enamel being stripped from my teeth, hicap improved it no end, but it was still to bright for me.

Pete

Onix OA21/Ruark Talisman’s. A superb sounding combination. Exposure amps too and Ion. I also agree check ES11’s but they are 90’s not 80’s.

Afraid I wouldn’t go Arcam or Quad with a LP12. Too laid back.

Hello,

a friend of mine is building a new system from the ground up, and has recently acquired an early 80's LP12/Basik LV-X (the cartridge on it looks like an Audio Technica moving magnet of some sort, but i've no idea of its condition). He's after some recommendations for an amp and speakers from the same period. He hasn't set a budget, but doesn't want to go mad. Let's assume he would like to keep the total spend below £1k. The system will be in quite a large room I'm told.

What would you guys be recommending?
I’ve got a pair of celestion ditton 332s which I’d let go cheap,make a nice 80s system,actually really enjoyed them but my mrs doesn’t really like 80s chic

Not going mad : A&R Cambridge A60 with vintage Epos 14....... or maybe 11 (sensitivity vs room size to be validated though)

Going mad : Naim 32.5/160 with first generation of Linn Sara’s

Onix OA21/Ruark Talisman’s. A superb sounding combination. Exposure amps too and Ion. I also agree check ES11’s but they are 90’s not 80’s.

Afraid I wouldn’t go Arcam or Quad with a LP12. Too laid back.
I don’t know about later Arcams but I don’t find the A60 laid back. Nor does it “force” the music through the speakers. “Poised” would be my description of the A60.

advertisement

Back