advertisement

Compact floorstanders

yunie_

pfm Member
I'm moving into a new house and looking to have some floorstanders for the first time.

It's 7m x 6m but I'm looking for floorstanders that have small footprint yet good bass.

Width wise it has to be within 21cm and height below 100cm.

So far what I see that suits me best is totem sky towers with its very slim width 17cm and height 93cm I think.

Bass goes down to 36, at least based on website figure.

Anyone have anything else to recommend?

B&w 704s2 very compact floorstander available at a good price on sevonoaks clearance. Monitor audio silver 200 .Kef r500. PMC twenty5 23. I looked at all these back in the summer ended up with b&w as I already had the center to match

When you say the width has to be <21cm, is that the physical constraint imposed by space? More specifically, will that also constrain toe-in?

I have similar constraints (damn raised hearth), which pretty much rule out most speakers. In particular, actual footprints including feet/bases are typically larger than the otherwise apparently skinny speaker (hi Boenicke), and you can forget about anything that needs to be toed in.

When I bought my speakers the only pair that fit the bill within my budget were DALI Oberon 5's (which go down to 39Hz). DALI speakers are designed not to be toed in at all. There are lines higher than Oberon, though, if you have a higher budget than I did.

Diapason Ares are very slim (16.6cm inc base) and 940cm high, don’t go down that deep in bass on paper, but the brand has an excellent reputation for both sound and build quality.

Neats are all very good, but it is hard to make useful comment without an idea of amplification and space - do you have room for (say) 30cm behind and to each side of the speakers?

If you want deep bass, you are probably far better off running small speakers and a sub. Especially given the ample size of your room.

If you want deep bass, you are probably far better off running small speakers and a sub. Especially given the ample size of your room.

With small speakers mean I need to have stands. And stands are doesn't fit the aesthetic of the house.

I'm using hegel 190 and/or accuphase e370 to power it.

I'm looking for something in matt white or walnut. Though matt black is still a-OK.

I saw dali oberon and thought the bass is a lil light.

I listen to wide range of music, but will need the speakers to be great movie speakers as well, hence the bass requirements

I have no space constraints and can go above 100cm and width more than 21cm easily. But prefer a slimmer silhouette.

Will look at the recommendations!

Any other recommendations?

advertisement

Back