advertisement

BBC - ‘SAS Rogue Heroes’ series

Straight-up weird to make what sounds like a pretty light-hearted drama about death squads, especially given all the recent reports of war crimes in Afghanistan, but there you go. Looking forward to “ISIS: A Great Bunch of Lads”.

As @Weekender pointed out, the series is in no way “light-hearted drama.”
Rather like @vince rocker - it sounds like you are the sort of person who makes their mind up based on their prejudices rather than actually experience.

I thought the series identified mental health issues caused by war and death, never mind the uneven world of the British class system of that time >
> but then you would actually have to watch it without a blinkered viewpoint, and I fear that could never happen for you.

Heigh Ho.

Have you seen Four Lions?

Tbf it's not "light-hearted".
Not having seen any of the Peaky Blinders (I know) I wasn't sure what to expect... except it's not a documentary and it's BBC1...

...we were entertained; the main protagonists came across as borderline criminally insane...which was intended.
Yes, good that. Pretty serious in its own way. Point taken though.

Rather like @vince rocker - it sounds like you are the sort of person who makes their mind up based on their prejudices rather than actually experience.

I thought the series identified mental health issues caused by war and death, never mind the uneven world of the British class system of that time >
> but then you would actually have to watch it without a blinkered viewpoint, and I fear that could never happen for you.

Heigh Ho.
Yes that’s me. Might be you too, judging by this post :).

Heigh Ho.
You call it prejudices, I call it a principled opposition to militarism and the glorification of violence. Your earlier comparison to childish fad eating is just pathetic.

watched the first episode. We decided we'd try the second to see how it progresses - not entirely hopeful. I found it unrealistic despite being apparently based on a true story. Parts almost felt comedic, almost a light hearted story of the war.....acting in parts felt a bit wooden, contrived.....we'll see what episode 2 brings

Watched part one and found it clunky, although I s'pose they needed to set the scene, but with poor sound governance (blew my ears out then decreased vol. and found dialogue too low). However, the subject matter alone will make me continue.

Did a few episodes have a bit of Fripp/Summers I Advance Masked playing as incidental background? It wasn't in the soundtrack listing but it 100% sounded like it.

Anyone know why they had to parachute in the storm, could they not have waited for the weather to improve

Stirling allegedly calculated that if the mission had been cancelled his unit would have been closed down for good.

We watched a couple of these rather amazing episodes yesterday.
(as recommended by @mjw )

SAS: Rogue Warriors

“With unprecedented access to the SAS secret files, unseen footage and exclusive interviews with its founder members, this series tells the remarkable story behind an extraordinary fighting force.”

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b08f00r9

Actual film of the training, and interviews with Stirling amongst others.

After watching the SAS: Rogue Heroes dramatisation, the documentary with actual footage illustrated the accuracy of some of the BBC drama.

Highly recommended to watch the drama first, then backtrack to the documentary.

@DarrenW - the reason to jump in the storm is explained in the documentary.

The documentary was first shown some years back. Mackintyre's book is also excellent, and well worth digging out.

My first read on the SAS, way back at prep school, was 'The Phantom Major' by the veteran war correspondent Virginia Cowles, who had reported from the Spanish Civil War, and then Finland, North Africa and Europe during the war, and who interviewed the main players shortly after the event. I must find a copy.

To 'binge-watch' or wait for weekly/bi-weekly episodes? Probably a thread in itself rather than tacked on here. I never watch in advance, as it were, as I like looking forward to the next episode. However, apart from personal characteristics, there are, no doubt, pros and cons. I believe it's only on iPlayer can you watch all episodes, so non BBC prog's can't be watched in advance, or am I way behind the technological curve here? (I bet I am !!!).

advertisement

Back