advertisement

Planar 2 now with walnut finish

HighlightdqiM80RluZCQe_600x600.jpg

CAS-14-scaled.jpg

I prefer the coloured versions tbh but if you have sympathetic furnishings I can see the attraction.
Would you not be better off looking at s/h turntables for around £400? I’m not bashing Rega but it’s worth consideration imo.

Yuk. Looks like an 80s fitted kitchen.

As others have said, a P2 is a decent deck but a good used deck at 400 will murder it.

Please, it looks like the quality interior of a 1982 Ford Granada Ghia X 2.8 Estate. (Probably smells like one too.)

But seriously, how much more would real walnut veneer have cost? Or maybe a homage to that early wood-trimmed Planar 2?

Or maybe in homage to Roy's early days at Ford, anyways a refreshing change as usual from Rega. I'm guessing there might be a Planar 3 to come in walnut too. Or something like for next years 50th.

Please, it looks like the quality interior of a 1982 Ford Granada Ghia X 2.8 Estate. (Probably smells like one too.)

But seriously, how much more would real walnut veneer have cost? Or maybe a homage to that early wood-trimmed Planar 2?

Good quality veneers can be expensive (in comparison to paint, vinyl or wrap) IMHO they (Rega) should never have dropped the little real wood frame.

Always loved the looks of the classic P7 (wood surround + ceramic (?) platter). Never saw one in person tho - I might have just snagged one up without listening to it. :D

My brother owns an original late 70's 'wood framed' Planar , I'm not sure whether it's a 2 or 3, lovely little TT, by comparison I thought the later 90's 'wood framed' models (P9, etc) are little clumsy looking with the quite thick wooden frame.

I love the appearance of my Antipodean 80s P3 with the semi-gloss plinth & cherry(?) trim. It matches the teak A60 & teak LS3/5as in looks & period correctness. The P25 is beautiful too but it’d only be worth replacing with a P9, I think.

Although I think the walnut finish is a bit ummm “meh”, I do like that Rega offers all these colour variations. Something for everyone. Just a pity there’s no orange! It can’t have been as popular in the past.

Not for me I'm afraid.

Still think the Planar 25 was their best looking turntable. It's funny how the addition of some (real) wood helps to transform what is otherwise a 'machine' into something that gets closer to 'furniture'. The material and finish here just feels inauthentic, unlike say the LP12's plinth, hence partly why it's a design classic - as is the original Planar and the solid colour finish options.

Stay true to your principles, Rega.

advertisement

Back