advertisement

what was the last piece of hifi you bought

Ooh, it's all change here. Big Luxman is away to a new home, replaced by an SPL Phonitor 2 to be mainly used as a balanced preamp. It's a cracking device - once had the mk1 version so it was already something of a known quantity - but until my Genelecs arrive I'm having to slum it with cheap AKG headphones. Still sounds great through any source :)

52450080547_3c6e32aaa4_c.jpg

Which is why the Allegri+ is in the post!

Forgot to mention the couple of things that 'followed me home' from the Audiojumble at the beginning of last month:

- A Dual CS-5000 turntable - walnut plinth, two headshells and absolutely mint.
- A pair of black ash Naim SBLs in need of some TLC and repairs
- A Linn Basik turntable.

have to say, I've been enjoying the Basik more than I was expecting to.

bx9v4oO.jpg

the good thing about them is they are fairly light i believe at 22kg ... did i read right that they are 1k !!!

https://www.zouchaudio.co.uk/magneplanar-lrs-ribbon-loudspeakers

Yes - or less if you look for a good used pair like I did. Be warned though - that may be false economy if you don't want to splash out on the "big guns" to drive them in order to hear them at their best! To continue with the response from the video "you really have to experience it for yourself ..." very apt indeed - this is exactly why I got a pair (if the 801 can provide the goods)!

The Allegri arrived, and sounds extremely good, especially after I recallibrated the dspeaker, and the rest of the system had warmed up, when it became quite magical. Only a few cds in ...very open, very clean treble, very dynamic in an unexagerated way.

AKG K550, known to be for spares or repair as one channel down, £12 + £3 P&P.

I got lucky, thought I might need a new cable and/or drivers but 5 minutes later I had soldered the right channel positive wire back on and they are all good. Think I will go out and buy a lottery ticket ... then I can get some really nice headphones!

nice . was just watching this . however not keen on bright speakers so be interested how you find them

Well they are playing now - as good as they are clarity wise and dealing with complex pieces incisively - they aren't a million miles better than my regular loudspeakers I have displaced.

I remember when listening to a pair of old vintage Maggie MG-1's in my room for a brief period of time how alarmingly good it was to hear the slap of a double bass etc etc. These LRS's don't sound anything like the MG-1's - maybe the LRS really do need a hi-end amp to sing. I will keep experimenting.

They aren't bad - just not better (at the mo').

me too … but not the plus version - still in the back of the car ready for tomorrow’s installation - I’ll get some chips (and a coffee).

Are they really that good - I will find out later

I call them the 'chameleon' speaker. If you change their position a few inches... they change dramatically. If you put in a better amplifier.... they change dramatically. If you put them in a different room.... you get the idea. Don't be in a rush to come to your opinion on them.

If you persevere you'll be rewarded with a sound that is absolutely amazing.

Well they are playing now - as good as they are clarity wise and dealing with complex pieces incisively - they aren't a million miles better than my regular loudspeakers I have displaced.

I remember when listening to a pair of old vintage Maggie MG-1's in my room for a brief period of time how alarmingly good it was to hear the slap of a double bass etc etc. These LRS's don't sound anything like the MG-1's - maybe the LRS really do need a hi-end amp to sing. I will keep experimenting.

They aren't bad - just not better (at the mo').

I am sure they will be lovely after a bit of shifting fore and aft. So many can't be wrong. I would love to try some but I am space limited. I understand they need considerable space behind them. Also, they seem quite a bit more expensive here in the UK, as has to be expected. Actually, for a made in the US that is of considerable size and weight, the cost seems very reasonable.

I am sure they will be lovely after a bit of shifting fore and aft. So many can't be wrong. I would love to try some but I am space limited. I understand they need considerable space behind them. Also, they seem quite a bit more expensive here in the UK, as has to be expected. Actually, for a made in the US that is of considerable size and weight, the cost seems very reasonable.

RoA,

Maggies need at least 3 foot from the rear wall and about 2 -3 foot from room boundaries.

There not that hard to accomadate as a lot of stand mounts can be similar with positioning.

I would never go back to box speakers after panels.

RoA,

Maggies need at least 3 foot from the rear wall and about 2 -3 foot from room boundaries.

There not that hard to accomadate as a lot of stand mounts can be similar with positioning.

I would never go back to box speakers after panels.

What panels do you have? Perhaps not specifically the LRS?

If I recall the best results with the old MG-1's were with the Croft pre/power - now on paper the Croft should not cut it at 40 watts p/c - but it's worth trying later on ... Meanwhile after unpacking them and setting them up with the Yam 801 then shifting them about all over the place I have run out of steam.

I did take a good while choosing my regular speakers - perhaps that paid off and they are good enough to compete well with these panels ...

advertisement

Back