advertisement

Decca carts: John Wright retiring

zeon

pfm Member
Its okay ( sort of ) he s just retiring, this month I believe. Yes Mr Decca himself J W will now longer repair, retip, these fabulous ( for some ) cartridges. He sites his age, and difficulty in sourcing parts as the reason. As a gold owner myself its enough to put the shiver up ones timbers at the thought of what happens now ?. Apologies if its been mentioned here before but I just wanted to pay homage to the mans work in the audio industry. A truly iconic audio product.... Btw if I had a bad dream last night and this is all rubbish feel free to delete !!

<moderating>

I’ve changed the thread title to something more relevant. I’ll move it to the classic room too.

Yes, he's the sole builder of new cartridges too, as I understand it. Apparently it's become impossible to get the armatures made, so the chances of anyone else being able to continue making the cartridges isn't looking good. He rebuilt mine a year or two ago, but I've yet to use it. Perhaps I should get a Deccapod before it's too late....

Yes, he's the sole builder of new cartridges too, as I understand it. Apparently it's become impossible to get the armatures made, so the chances of anyone else being able to continue making the cartridges isn't looking good. He rebuilt mine a year or two ago, but I've yet to use it. Perhaps I should get a Deccapod before it's too late....
Yes I was thinking about the pod as well for mine, but at the moment its sounding so blindingly good on mayware arm that I may leave alone !. Your have to be super quick
though its October already, ha. The line contact stylus John uses on these are really lovely, imo.If you decide to sell in future I may be interested. Might become a collectors item, ha

I bring good tidings. I have been in contact with John to get a couple of bits and to thank him for his service. I have been sending my Deccas to him for over 20 years.
He is currently training some new staff, who will be taking over the refurbishment business. There will be an announcement in due course on his website.

I bring good tidings. I have been in contact with John to get a couple of bits and to thank him for his service. I have been sending my Deccas to him for over 20 years.
He is currently training some new staff, who will be taking over the refurbishment business. There will be an announcement in due course on his website.
Aaaaaay ...great news Must admit I thought that unlikely !

I had all four of mine back to JW in the last couple of months -best money I've spent on this hobby/obsession in years in that three used cartridges are now safe to use on my records for ? years and dang do these things sound good mated with my Sony PS-X555es. We need to recognize that not only has John Wrights service been legendary -but his pricing structure was pure 1980 -anyone who takes this over will have to deal not only with the armature /cantilever issue but will have to get us all used to paying 21st. century labor rates for their service.

Excellent news!

Good news that a new servicer appears to be in training and perhaps they'll think its worthwhile to get the armatures/cantilevers remanufactured. Happily my 4 were refurbed/cleaned earlier in the month by John, so should have a few years life in them yet, (2 x C4e's, 2 x Garrotts).

My mind s gone blank does this need special tonearm / adapter ?.... also can I have it ?

the mark 4's (c4e/sc4e, 78c, 4rc, others?) are standard mount carts.

In terms of arms, you'll get different views as to which type of arm (e.g unipivot, heavy mass) are best suited for decca's but the mark iv's are probably not much different to the others in this respect.

And sorry - don't have any c4e's spare!

the mark 4's (c4e/sc4e, 78c, 4rc, others?) are standard mount carts.

In terms of arms, you'll get different views as to which type of arm (e.g unipivot, heavy mass) are best suited for decca's but the mark iv's are probably not much different to the others in this respect.

And sorry - don't have any c4e's spare!

What's the difference between the h4e and the c4e/sc4e? Aside from it being in the Decca shell and the others being standard mount.

advertisement

Back