advertisement

Blue Note Classic Vinyl Reissues

Posted here in reply to @gavreid in the What are you listening to thread as a better place for it.
“How do you like it Jim? I thought I'd wait on that one with some great looking TPs just around the corner. The Turrentine is a great one though...”

The Turrentine Shirley Scott the one I passed on instead. I was going to pass on this Patton as well as, as I have said before, I’m not personally the greatest lover of Jazz organ with a couple of exceptions. I didn’t have anything with Big John as leader though so I took a punt on this. I’m enjoying it much more than I thought I might. I really like Patton’s original, but understated approach and organ sound on this and he leaves plenty of space for the other musicians. What I really liked was that both Harold Vick and particularly Grant Green have rich ‘fruity’ tonality on this that blends excellently with Hammond's midrange organ sound as recorded here. While none of it is ‘cutting edge’ stuff there are some really nice compositions and soloing and the whole thing does swing. Really top notch recording, mastering and pressing as well. Up to Tone Poet standards.

They seem to have reverted again to paper inner sleeves on this one, but at least I didn’t have the previous static problems with them this time.

I will pick this one up, but they should have gone with the follow-up album, 'Let 'em Roll'. The track 'Latona' is an absolute killer:

I have an original 60s RVG copy in excellent condition: you could pick it up relatively cheap a few years ago.

I will pick this one up, but they should have gone with the follow-up album, 'Let 'em Roll'. The track 'Latona' is an absolute killer:

I have an original 60s RVG copy in excellent condition: you could pick it up relatively cheap a few years ago.
I've only got Let 'Em Roll as a Japanese UHQ CD. Has anyone got the 75th Anniversary LP reissue? Just wondering what the quality was like?

Had a bit of recent Classics session today…first thoughts…
Joe Lovano - nice, smooth, ballads. Not convinced it’s essential really.
Stanley Turrentine - swinging, funky. Really enjoyed it.
Charlie Hunter - outstanding! 8 string guitar and sax, stunning sound quality.

No pressing issues with any of them.

Definitely agree, great album - Bought the last reissue (2016?) but it was pressed off centre, replacements had sold out so I missed it. Hopefully it will get reissued again.

Waiting for my copy of 'Oh Baby!' to arrive today though.

Just spinning Oh Baby! As Jim said no poly inner. Disappointing.
Sounds very nice though. I have a Japanese 90s pressing of this (which I’d forgotten about hence this!) and for once I think I marginally prefer the Classic. More vibrant. Which is odd as it’s usually the other round.

Sounds very nice though. I have a Japanese 90s pressing of this (which I’d forgotten about hence this!) and for once I think I marginally prefer the Classic. More vibrant. Which is odd as it’s usually the other round.

The Classic Oh Baby! certainly sounds better than my Elemental copy - much more vibrant as you say and much better lower end. From comments elsewhere regarding Steppin’ Out, and a few other titles he’s mastered such as Charles Kynard’s Afrodisiac, it would appear Kevin Gray is managing to get some extra depth from the organ on some of these soul jazz titles. Long May it continue.

I have the Ron McMaster CD of Point of Departure, which is really very good as it happens. That was another one that I was going to pass on this time...

I have the Ron McMaster CD of Point of Departure, which is really very good as it happens. That was another one that I was going to pass on this time...

Gav - don’t! If my MM45s of both titles are anything to go by, they trounce my McMaster CDs. Especially POD - so much space and superb dynamic range - esp from Tony Williams. Brilliant music.

Gav - don’t! If my MM45s of both titles are anything to go by, they trounce my McMaster CDs. Especially POD - so much space and superb dynamic range - esp from Tony Williams. Brilliant music.

I was hoping you wouldn't say that. I was trying to talk up the CD to myself - I does have very good dynamics...

Heads up! Two of the very best compositional BN titles out this week, already listed and available at Honest Jon’s - not to be missed, essential IMO: Grachan Moncur’s Evolution and Andrew Hill’s Point of Departure.

Has anyone done a side by side of the BN classics Point of Departure and the Elemental edition. It is one of the few records I will upgrade if there's a much better version easily available. Is the BN much better?

Has anyone done a side by side of the BN classics Point of Departure and the Elemental edition

I too have the Elemental re-issue and was wondering the same thing as Point of Departure is such a great album.

I haven’t compared Elemental POD to BNC, but based on the evidence of two other Elemental I’ve had and replaced with better copies, (BNC and MM), I found the Elementals to sound clean but lacking in dynamic range, and also cut with quite low gain - possibly indicative of their digital provenance. If POD is a favourite title I don’t think you’ll be disappointed with the BNC.

(I still have one Elemental I’m waiting to replace - Talkin’ About Grant Green with Larry Young. Characterist low gain and thin. LY’s organ lacking low end).

Evolution is blooming wonderful isn’t it? Not heard it before. Sounds later than 1964 in terms of how “progressive” it is (I mean that in the best possible way).
I have passed on the Classic Point Of Departure as I have an 80s US pressing which sounds great. So please stop banging on about it! Haha.

advertisement

Back