advertisement

What are you listening to right now #63

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't listened to this for yonks - hadn't noticed before that it's Baby Face Willette on organ!

Ni5qcGVn.jpeg

Mingus Plays Piano. I’ve had this for years, but don’t remember listening to it before. He was a ridiculously good pianist. It sounds in parts like Bill Evans trying to play like Monk, or maybe vice-versa.
A group recording rather than solo piano, the first recording where Minus plays piano throughout is Minus / Oh Yeah released in 1962. Doug Watkins who was the bass player on Sonny Rollins Saxophone Colossus and other great recordings takes the bass position instead of Mingus. Sadly he died in a car accident in February 1962, at only aged 27, while travelling to a gig in San Francisco with Philly Jo Jones probably before Ho Yeah was released.

Ho Yeah is another great Mingus album.

Steve Harley And Cockney Rebel* – The Best Of Steve Harley And Cockney Rebel
Label: Fame – FA 3007
Format: Vinyl, LP, Compilation, Reissue, Stereo
Released: May 1982
Genre: Rock, Pop
Style: Classic Rock

IMG_20221022_102350.jpg

Paul, but think what erotic fun you would have had hanging out with him if his biography ‘Beneath the Underdog’ is to be believed. :D

I'm afraid Charlie droning on about the size of his wedding tackle every other chapter put me off Beneath The Underdog a bit and I only made it halfway through!

The Human League – Dare
Label: Virgin – V2192
Format: Vinyl, LP, Album, Stereo, CBS Pressing, Gatefold
Released: 16 Oct 1981
Genre: Electronic, Pop
Style: Synth-pop

IMG_20221022_113900.jpg

Japan – Oil On Canvas
Label: Virgin – VD 2513, Virgin – VD2513
Format: 2 x Vinyl, LP, Album, Stereo, Gatefold
Released: Jun 1983
Genre: Electronic, Rock, Pop
Style: Art Rock, New Wave, Post-Punk, Synth-pop

IMG_20221022_122755.jpg

Nice TT gninnam

Still listening to BBCC! I think this is what the essence of a band just should be @Tony L : 3 young mates with a passion for music form a band & have a blast, getting creative with meagre assets: then add a dose of humour, a dose of 2 min catchy hooks, a dose of freshness, & a dose of yoof attitude. Voila. I woke up today with " I got you on ma phone.." braindead lyrics first thing in my head! & I laughed out loud. I even like one with Dappy in!! Ffs.

I must say not bought the vinyl & spinning on my walnut Lp12, no, it's just what I'm listening to right now (on iPad).

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back