advertisement

Cadenza Blue cheaper replacement

MVV

pfm Member
I’ve got one of these probably 6 or 7 years old. It was amazingly quiet even on poor records but recently more fizz and pops even on new stuff. So I probably need a replacement. I need something in the £500 range and similar (low output MC) cos I really don’t want to mess with the phono stage (Arkless turbo plus) Turntable is an Amadeus GTa.
I look forward to your suggestions

If it were me I'd be going for a Benz, the Ace used to be closer to £500 but like everything else these days it has had a hike up in price. Not sure what £500 even gets these days.

Thanks both. Really hope it’s buggered so the new one won’t be a let down. The days of 2K carts are gone for me!

Fizz and pop due to ageing/wear of the cart/stylus'??????????????

Re-tip would be cheap compared to 500 notes.

I hadn’t thought of that stupidly. Who would do it?
BTW what did all the ??s mean?

Expert Stylus will re-tip pretty much any cart'. There are one or two others as well.

I am unconvinced that normal stylus wear would increase fizz and pop.

Thanks so am I. Probably a bit of wishful thinking because I’ve changed the amp and it isn’t so rolled off in the treble.

Perhaps a worthwhile exercise to guesstimate your usage in hours over those 6-7 years? Might lend a little credence as to whether stylus wear is an issue.

I’ve got one of these probably 6 or 7 years old. It was amazingly quiet even on poor records but recently more fizz and pops even on new stuff. So I probably need a replacement. I need something in the £500 range and similar (low output MC) cos I really don’t want to mess with the phono stage (Arkless turbo plus) Turntable is an Amadeus GTa.
I look forward to your suggestions
AT33PTGII

AT or Hana both have cartridges near that price. Both are great. The Cadenza in noteably warm sounding so if you loved that, I’d go Hana.

+1 on the retip suggestion , expert stylus have recently done my Kontrapunkt B & it sounds fantastic , excellent service from these guys

I've had an Ortofon Cadenza Blue since 2009. It's been re-tipped by Expert 4 times. I can't tell you if it's similar in sound to the original as that was so long ago, but it does sound great.

The next time it will go to Ortofon for a full rebuild.

AT or Hana both have cartridges near that price. Both are great. The Cadenza in noteably warm sounding so if you loved that, I’d go Hana.

I owned a Cadenza Blue for a long time. I would not describe it as warm sounding at all. Pretty much neutral in sound. From what I have heard of them the Hana’s are quite a bit warmer in sound.

There are some small variations in the Cadenza range the Bronze being the warmest sound as noted by Ortofon. I move to the Bronze as a better overall balance in my system after I changed speakers. l did consider the Hana ML as that would probably also suited, but I got a good part exchange on my Cadenza Blue. I also have the Cadenza Mono (on a different arm) and that is slightly warmer than the Cadenza Blue, but overall a good balance in my system. So overall system consistency and balance was another reason for not moving to a Hanna.

Ortofon offer a rebuild. Might be worth checking out how much. I dread the day my bronze dies.
The rebuild for Cadenza’s used to be £750, but has now increased to £1K. Ortofon pretty much replace everything so you do really get a new cartridge for that, but it is much more costly than getting a third party retip.

I have found Cadenzas take between 50 and 100 hours to fully break in and sound at their best and I get between about 1,500 & 1,800 hours from a Cadenza on undamaged clean Records before they really need a rebuild or replacement. It is difficult determine accurately the exact point they wear out without reference to a new cartridge as the determination is gradual.

I owned a Cadenza Blue for a long time. I would not describe it as warm sounding at all. Pretty much neutral in sound. From what I have heard of them the Hana’s are quite a bit warmer in sound.

There are some small variations in the Cadenza range the Bronze being the warmest sound as noted by Ortofon. I move to the Bronze as a better overall balance in my system after I changed speakers. l did consider the Hana ML as that would probably also suited, but I got a good part exchange on my Cadenza Blue. I also have the Cadenza Mono (on a different arm) and that is slightly warmer than the Cadenza Blue, but overall a good balance in my system. So overall system consistency and balance was another reason for not moving to a Hanna.

The rebuild for Cadenza’s used to be £750, but has now increased to £1K. Ortofon pretty much replace everything so you do really get a new cartridge for that, but it is much more costly than getting a third party retip.

I have found Cadenzas take between 50 and 100 hours to fully break in and sound at their best and I get between about 1,500 & 1,800 hours from a Cadenza on undamaged clean Records before they really need a rebuild or replacement. It is difficult determine accurately the exact point they wear out without reference to a new cartridge as the determination is gradual.
My mistake. I thought the OP had a bronze.

advertisement

Back