advertisement

Active speakers or not?

vinyl_paul

pfm Member
Due to upgrades I have a spare Auralic Aries G1 and would like to use it in the sitting room.

To cut down on boxes I was originally thinking of a pair of active speakers, and then just needed cable from G1 to the actives and I am done.

However I am struggling to find any suitable actives ( their physical appearance is an important factor! ).
But am I being a little silly here when for the sake of an amplifier I could have a much wider choice of speakers?

Are there any other considerations I am missing in the debate on going for some small actives, versus just getting an amp plus speakers instead?

I have had that setup for a few years (source and actives) - the best thing I ever did and no regrets whatsoever. There are a few very capable performers at every price point for actives though, admittedly, the choice is more limited than their passive counterparts. As always, try a few and see what you think before taking the plunge.

Good luck.

Depending on your budget, the ATC active range is highly recommended.
Either SCM19s or 40s but they’re quite large so might not be suitable. Additionally, the looks/metal grills are not to everyone’s taste – each to their own.

@Paulq2 Out of interest what did you go for?

I started with Acoustic Energy AE1 actives which are astonishingly good for the money and you can generally pick a used pair up for under £1k. I have since moved on to ELAC ARB51's which are a further step up and have a very simple setup of a Bluesound Node as source > Chord Qutest DAC > ELACs.

I'd concur with others in the thread that, depending on your room size and budget, the ATC actives are very good indeed. I have longed for a pair of the SCM40a's but my room simply isn't big enough. Come to think of it, neither is my wallet :).

AE1’s or the Kef Wireless models would be a good place to start.

I have ATC40A’s myself & they are brilliant. Every time I listen to music they seem to give a direct window into the recording without pulling it apart. I aim to get 50s at some point but in no hurry.

You definitely need space for the ATC SCM40A’s. At around 13’x11’ my room is marginal and they pack a hell of a punch for sealed boxes.

I loved my Event Opals (the ATC’s are better though - more musical), well worth checking out active studio monitors.

Big advocate of actives. I had the SCM19As which were lovely, but a severe bass null in my room didn't help with their limited extension low down.

I moved to some Neumann KH310s a year or so ago, and am extremely happy with them - the low end is lightyears ahead of what the ATCs could do. I too would love to try some 50A's one day, but after boxing up the 19As and getting those into my car, I'm really seeing the value in the 'carry-able' Neumann's!

I am no expert re. actives but owned Kef LS50 Meta Wireless 2's and B&W Formation Duo's. Both dissappointed in some ways and I have since reverted to amplifier/speakers.

I have a hunch that what I disliked about both the above was to some degree at least Class D amplification and shortcomings of DSP, as clever as this may be in some circumstances. A bit like applying a plaster to something that is not fundamentally right.

Would I go active again I'd rather have class A/B amplifiers though Alex S's Genelecs look ok and I may give them or a slightly larger model ago despite their class D implementation.

3rd time lucky perhaps or not learning from my mistakes ...

wow, that's a lot of speaker for the money. Shame they've gone a bit too 'lifestyle' on the design direction, but that's just IMO.

Yes, the looks aren’t for everyone. But for those interested, a very warm reception in this review.
(That said, other reviewers find them lacking ‘dynamics’).
YMMV as they say :)

I'm old school but prefer by far separate units to active speakers for versatility and ease of upgrade if ever suited.
Recapping an amplifier also seems to be easier than some active speakers as well although some are very modular nowadays.

I suppose the obvious advice is to listen to some active speakers and some passive speaker/ amplifier combinations in your price range and find out what your preferences are. I've mostly used and enjoyed active speakers for the last twenty years of so, either DIY or commercial. Currently ATC SCM40As with a NAD C658 in the living room and Genelec 8030s and a Node 2i in the bedroom. The office and the luxury shed both have passive Munro Egg 100s with Yamaha micro and midi systems respectively, but that's about cost, rather than preference!

I moved to active speakers well over 40 years ago when I first heard the Meridian M1’s and they were so much better in so many ways, especial value for Money, than any separate amp speaker combination at anywhere near their price then. I have never been convinced to change away from actives since. Yes I have heard a very few amp speaker combinations that have sounded better, but none at a combined price I could either A or afford or B fit in my room. Usually both.

I changed from Meridian M1’s to M10’s that I kept for nearly 40 years before finally changing to Dutch & Dutch 8c’s about 3 years ago. Still actives, but with DSP room correction built in. Possibly over budget. So I would still recommend a good condition pair Meridian M2’s that can be found for well under £1K and will see still off most amp speaker combinations well above this price. There are few owners on this forum using them.

advertisement

Back