advertisement

Anyone using a BK XXLS400 sub?

Guitar Beard

pfm Member
I am contemplating adding a sub to compliment my Wilson Benesch Square 2s
The XXLS400 is looking like a prime contender, however I am limited as to where it can go.
In the photo I can either shuffle the rack to the right and put it in the corner or shuffle the rack to the left and pop it between the rack and speaker.
Anybody using one of these subs have any thoughts as to placement? Also would forward or downward be more suitable, preference is for DF for aesthetic reasons
Thanks
Jay
IMG-20221002-163848-HDR.jpg

I would have the sub as far away from the rack as you can manage, particularly important for vinyl listening. I would definitely use the high level input if you can, sounds much better.
As for down or front firing, for a compact sub I would go for down.

I have two XXLS400 but am currently only using one. Placement is best determined by (lots of) trial and error, but generally speaking the closer you can get it to the plane of your main speaker the easier it will be to integrate. If you're crossing low (e.g. 40Hz) and/or using DSP/room correction then you have more options. Personally I'd avoid moving the rack closer to your main speaker as it might have an adverse affect on its imaging. On the other hand, shoehorning the sub into the corner might cause it to draw attention to itself by exciting more room modes. Another option is to place the sub on the other side of the speaker but this might require relocating the lamp...

PS - If you don't intend to use DSP then I highly recommend getting the 24dB/oct filter version of the XXLS400 instead of the standard 12dB/oct version otherwise you'll have significant overlap with your main speakers, especially if you aren't high-passing your mains.

Another option is to place the sub on the other side of the speaker but this might require relocating the lamp...
The lamp is sitting up against the hearth for the wood burner - the sub would get very hot. There is no opportunity to put a sub between the speakers
Interesting about the 24db/oct version, I didn't know they did this and not obvious on their website

The lamp is sitting up against the hearth for the wood burner - the sub would get very hot. There is no opportunity to put a sub between the speakers
Interesting about the 24db/oct version, I didn't know they did this and not obvious on their website
You need to request the 24db/oct version by email/phone ;).

I use a couple of XXLS400 in a couple of systems one of which is in a small bedroom above the living room (sits on a Auralex Sub Dude). They are phenomenal subs and I have owned plenty over the years. I use a pair of Rel T9X downstairs and other than looks I don't feel the XXLS400 gives anything away in performance.

ToTo Man’s advice is good.

I’m running four XXLS400FDs in two systems (big rooms). Make sue you use the high level connection. Having used both, I found the HL is more “seamless” than going via my preamp’s RCA outs.

Positioning and setup is very room dependent: the LR (10x7x5m) took no time at all, both subs in the corner either side of my ProAc Studio 1s. XO set at 80hz, gain set so the subs become unnoticeable until they are switched off.

The dedicated basement music room (10x5x2.6m) took a lot longer. I had problems with LF standing waves generating feedback through my wall mounted TT at high volume. In the end I settled on a staggered position for the subs: one behind the left B&W801M S2, the other slightly in front (both against the side wall), with the 801s 2m from the back wall. After a considerable amount of trial and error the problem was completely eliminated.

Those subs are true audiophile bargains.

Have x1 xxls400 and x2 xxls200 of which one is not switched on as I can’t get it to integrate and don’t have time / energy to try again right now.

the xxls400 is a much bigger beast than the xxls200 and I added it about five months ago; had been running the two xxls200s for a few years. It has made a significant improvement; I’m very pleased with it. In fact, I’d like to add a second one! One can never have enough subs. My room is 5x10x3m by the way, but hifi is in one half of the room.

All three connected low level through a miniDSP 2x4HD and supplementing Dynaudio special 40.

I can’t decide whether or not x2 200 or x1 400 would be the better move. Technically distributing subs is better so x2 200. But the sudden improvement was adding the 400 :)

I bought a xxls400 a few weeks ago, integrates very well with Naim SL2s. Connected via HL from the SL2 speaker terminals, sub is set around 50hz.
Standalone the SL2s are excellent but the xxls400 has added so much and not just the in bass department.

Have x1 xxls400 and x2 xxls200 of which one is not switched on as I can’t get it to integrate and don’t have time / energy to try again right now.

the xxls400 is a much bigger beast than the xxls200 and I added it about five months ago; had been running the two xxls200s for a few years. It has made a significant improvement; I’m very pleased with it. In fact, I’d like to add a second one! One can never have enough subs. My room is 5x10x3m by the way, but hifi is in one half of the room.

All three connected low level through a miniDSP 2x4HD and supplementing Dynaudio special 40.

I can’t decide whether or not x2 200 or x1 400 would be the better move. Technically distributing subs is better so x2 200. But the sudden improvement was adding the 400 :)
I've seen measurements of the XLS200 rolling off from 30Hz so if LF extension is important to you and you have enough space I'd go for the XXLS400 because it's flat all the way down to 17Hz. Distortion will also be lower in the XXLS400 (apparently it's much easier to 'bottom-out' the XLS200). If you are distributing lots of subs then the XLS200 is probably ok as you'll be able to reduce excursion/distortion by running them at lower SPLs but in a big room like yours I'd still be inclined to go with XXLS400s...

Last edited:
I have the XXLS400 DF with a pair of Audio Physic Avanti, it works a treat. Initially I did have the sub next to my listening position (end of sofa) on the opposite side of the room to the speakers. Due to new furniture & a reshuffle I had to move the sub over to the side wall about a metre further forward. A bit of simple tweaking and it blended in seamlessly once more.
It is worth remembering that BK subs are ex-factory so no dealer margin to add on. I reckon a £500 BK sub is equivalent to a £800-900 sub from another manufacturer in a shop. Good value Subs!

It is worth remembering that BK subs are ex-factory so no dealer margin to add on. I reckon a £500 BK sub is equivalent to a £800-900 sub from another manufacturer in a shop. Good value Subs!

Also BK advertise on eBay their seconds. I bought a XXLS400 DF with about £100 off and I can't see a single mark or scratch on it.

Great value.

@ToTo Man Thanks for the advice, extension is less important to me than definition which is why I went originally with two xxls200. But now I want a fourth sub and it will be the xxls400 because I like the effect of its' addition so much. Current plan is two xxls400 behind each of the Sp40s and the two xxls200 under side tables that adorn the listening sofa. Hopefully I can dial down each sub as they all contribute.

I've been modelling sub drivers lately for a 3-way build I'm planning with an active bass driver. The 10" driver in the XLS200 (P830452) is very low Q, and simulation of it produce a very lean bass that starts to roll-off at around 200hz. The 12" P830845 that I'm pretty sure is used in the XXLS400 (BK sell the drivers on eBay), is flat down to about 50hz and with room gain could end up flat down to 20hz.

Grey line is the XLS200 driver in 18ltr sealed with 230 watts (xmax (maximum excursion) was reached with 230w). Black is the XXLS400 driver in 50ltr sealed with only 150 watts, because that's where it hit xmax.

kgFhtv2.jpg

advertisement

Back