advertisement

The Premiership of Mary Elizabeth Truss.Sept 2022 - Oct 2022

There is good news for some. Business owners who were going to jack it in and retire at the end of March can now stick to plan A. Not much point carrying on unless you really have to when given a 6% pay cut.

First,they had to find a chancellor who understood finance and economics and still thought Brexit would help. So any pool of talent was immediately restricted to people who couldn't or didn't want to see the rather obvious conflict in that. This is what happens when single issue zealots get near the steering wheel.

The industrial scale deceit, cakeism and claims that you can grow faster without the huge market and supply source that you have just sh1t the bed with, was clearly delusional. You could have Brexit for other reasons if you like, but rapid economic success was never one of them - except they managed to convince enough people that this wouldn't make much difference to them.

Well it does, bigly.

Like I keep saying, it's Brexit-level competence.

Truss is blathering incoherence personified. Delusional speech and now floundering in the face of questions. The Tories need removing immediately in the national interest. It is general election time. Just get rid of this useless corrupt shit now.

PS She’s just walked out after a couple of press questions as she had nothing. She is toast. That was probably the worst press conference I have ever seen in my life.
Just seen that press conference.
She managed to give the same answer in a diferent way to each question asked.
She's a robot

The only good thing about the press conference was the lectern. I want speaker stands like that!

Anyway, she's got to go. FAST!

“Pound selloff intensifies, government bond rally fades after Liz Truss press conference – business live”.

….there’s only one solution, general election.

I originally dismissed the 'truss is a lib dem sleeper agent sent to destroy the conservative party' idea as wishful thinking

Clearly flustered she was struggling to remember the names of the journalists. Didn’t answer any of the questions although pretty standard for most politicians.

Well done to her for walking out so soon. Every journalist was asking the same question, to which she was giving the same non-answer.

That press conference was just terrible - maybe even worse than pmq’s this week. We’re used to politicians not answering questions but that was just insulting, to them and us. She’ll be out very soon I reckon.

What amazes me is that Kwarteng was sacked without an explanation as to why, and the only u-turn has been to scrap the corporation tax freeze. The implication is that Philp and Kwarteng were sacked for the corporation tax freeze alone. That's not credible: Kwarteng could have reversed the freeze himself, but that would not have been enough for him to stay - too much damage has been done.

This lack of credibility is further proof that Truss is out of options. She cannot resile from her 'conviction' that low taxes are the route to growth - that's what her backers want. She is now brutally exposed as having the objective of 'a low tax, high growth economy' with no plan as to how to accomplish it. Her only hope is that she can cling on until October 31, when a plan, however feeble, backed by the OBR will arrive. She is entirely at the whim of her party, and she knows it.

So is she done for? Well, the final problem for the Tories is that, as per Paul Brand on Twitter, this might not be easy to resolve: not only is the parliamentary party ideologically divided (Sunak 137 votes, Truss 113, Mordaunt 105*), but the party faithful are too (Truss 57%, Sunak 43%). I imagine the conversations MPs are having with constituents today will set the temperature.

(*Guardian)

advertisement

Back