advertisement

British made Hi Fi equipment manufacturers

voxx

pfm Member
Hi all
I am looking for examples of hi-fi and hi-end audio equipment manufacturers (both cottage and mainstream) who develop, manufacture and assemble products in the UK.

I assume Naim is the one?
NVA
What else?

Had a chat with Leema at the nw show,proudly made here,in fact even the transformers are made in Britain.

ATC loudspeakers also all made here,not sure about the electronics?

Meridian, a British mainstream manufacturer who research, develop, design and build products at the bleeding edge.

How many of the bits can be bought in before it starts to fail the 'manufactured in Britain' test? Does it matter if the capacitors are from Taiwan or the copper that made the wires is largely from Australia and Peru?

In addition, it is easy for this question to blue into 'where do the owners of the shares in the company live', which is IMHO a rather different question.

How many of the bits can be bought in before it starts to fail the 'manufactured in Britain' test? Does it matter if the capacitors are from Taiwan or the copper that made the wires is largely from Australia and Peru?

In addition, it is easy for this question to blue into 'where do the owners of the shares in the company live', which is IMHO a rather different question.

FWIW I gave up trying to resist the way overseas components took over from UK ones back c1980. The reality then was that on the whole if you wanted good, reliable, repeatable performance you needed to buy nonUK components. What I do look for is sets then being designed and built in the UK for UK owned companies using UK workers. Alas, that's also now rarer than I'd be happy with.

Even back c1980 it was clear that UK investment was shunted over into property, banking, etc, or simply into nonUK manufacture. Only those in the UK who really were determined to make electronics here persisted... and many failed because of being hampered by lack of investment, the rise in the cost of having a factory, etc.

advertisement

Back