advertisement

New Boiler/cylinder etc. quote. Such complexity! Do I really need these gizmos?

I hear what you're saying. My sister wants to retire to the area at some point so may take the house on, but that's irrelevant. What is clear is that I don't know for sure if some of the rads work since there's no hot water getting to at least two of them (hence my theory about a blockage at the heating manifold) but that's not to say that the rads themselves are going to be in good shape. A bloody good flush is what's needed first IMHO.
Dead right about the flush. I had a dead rad when I had the boiler replaced, also had 2 or 3 weeping bits of pipework because of the crappy microbore pipework. The heating tech put all of it right and fitted 2 TRVs at modest cost. It now works perfectly. Rads very seldom give trouble unless they start leaking, after all they are just a metal box full of hot water. TRVs get gummed up, so do conventional valves, but as you say do the flush and the technician will advise. Part of the process is a pressure test post flushing and (if necessary) assembly, if there are any leaking rads or pipes this will show up.

My tanks in the loft don't eat anything, Tony, but do a useful job. Not sure I love cleaning out the expansion tank every couple of years, buy hey ho! The pipework in the loft is the feed to my shower, so will remain regardless, I guess.
Well, no. With a combi, your shower will now run on mains pressure, so you don't need a pressure pump. And of course, you get continuous hot water, for as long as you've got gas (other fuels are available) to feed the boiler. Easy enough for the plumber to modify the pipework, and no more pigs in the loft tank!

We replaced our old boiler with a combi earlier this year and the improvements I've noticed so far are:
  • Much better hot water pressure - to the extent that our power shower pump (which couldn't be used with the combi anyway) was no longer needed
  • More space in the airing cupboard as the hot water tank was no longer needed
  • Much more loft space (and better access to a good chunk of the loft) as both the cold water tanks we had up there were removed
  • Quicker hot water delivery to all of the house - much quicker in some areas
  • Higher radiator temperatures in the furthest corners of the house - although that was probably because the previous boiler wasn't really sized for when we extended the house
It also seems like we're using less gas, probably because the old boiler is a lot more efficient than the old one. We also had a powerflush carried out of the system, which I expect will also have helped.

I would also point out to the OP that modern, fully insulated cylinders are hugely better at keeping water hot compared to old cylinders with the external jackets. Water keeps hot for ages so you will use less gas reheating (assuming you don't keep emptying the cylinders fully between heating it). As well as less gas due to the increased efficiency of any new boiler.

I paid 3k plus 16 years ago for a system boiler and unvented cylinder so 4k doesn't seem excessive from here but we discussed this all last week didn't we...

3 years ago bought a house with brand new WB boiler but they had left in the old 60 year old tank and water tanks in loft . Heaven knows why . we ripped everything out and replaced it with a new Vailliant boiler with new space in airing cupboard as no tank and got rid of all the water tanks . easier and safer option

Do be aware that there is a potential risk that higher water pressure of a combi system could cause leaks in pipework of an old system. Tank-fed operates at low water pressure whereas combi is higher mains pressure. This could add to cost if plumbers want to replace old bits like manifolds.

Now that's a new one for me (never had a combi in my homes) and I have already expressed concern about many add-ons to the htg pipes here; in fact in 2 opposite directions on the ground floor. A power flush has been ruled out in favour of a hot flush (funny but I get these from time to time !!!!:D) with chemicals. Seems the Magnaclean sorts things out after that. I'm told that chemicals are available , as in cars, I guess, to seal any leaks but somehow I'm a bit dubious. My system is vented (exp. tank) but I can't see how combi water pressure affects things, as it's the pump circulating the water to the rad's.

Now it seems to be non-local 'firms' that want only to do big jobs for big profits.

I have a local directory/booklet delivered quarterly and this is chock-a-block full of most artisans and services. My last 3 plumbers coming to assess were from this directory.

Well, no. With a combi, your shower will now run on mains pressure, so you don't need a pressure pump. And of course, you get continuous hot water, for as long as you've got gas (other fuels are available) to feed the boiler. Easy enough for the plumber to modify the pipework, and no more pigs in the loft tank!

A point that has come to my mind due to recent events is that gas heating systems tend to reply on electric to run pumps and control systems. Thus users may find their gas heating goes off when there is an electric power outage.

I have a local directory/booklet delivered quarterly and this is chock-a-block full of most artisans and services. My last 3 plumbers coming to assess were from this directory.

We get similar booklets though our door. I looked but none of the people for this are local to the town or its immediate surrounding area. These were the first place I looked, but no joy.

10+ years ago we had a plumber / heating engineer living next door running it as a family business. He retired and moved away. Later on there was one remaining plumber who was excellent, in town. He retired and moved away. His familiy could not longer afford a house here.

A point that has come to my mind due to recent events is that gas heating systems tend to reply on electric to run pumps and control systems. Thus users may find their gas heating goes off when there is an electric power outage.

You remember the early 70s Jim! I was 6 or 7 at the time and my Mum explained that the gas boiler relied on electrical controls. I just bought a couple of torches yesterday (thinking back to that time) they'll be hen's teeth in the shops if/when the shit hits the fan...

If that happens, we'll sit in the lounge and put on the gas fire.

With a combi, your shower will now run on mains pressure, so you don't need a pressure pump. And of course, you get continuous hot water, for as long as you've got gas (other fuels are available) to feed the boiler. Easy enough for the plumber to modify the pipework,............ and no more pigs in the loft tank!

Surely you're telling porkies there, Tony :D I really don't understand if and how a combi can replicate the vented system here. We've a power shower (though don't use the 'power' bit) which takes the hot and cold water above the bathroom and comes down again. I don't understand your 'pressure pump bit. There's no way we would want to install an electric shower with its 10mm2 radial to the c.u.

I'm learning from this thread but still can't see how a combi would be as efficient. Okay for loss of cylinder and tank removal benefits but would I need all the paraphernalia associated with updating my vented system (apart from not needing a new cylinder)?

In the eighties and nineties, combis were bad news for those I knew who had them. I'm sure things have changed but I've had new indirect boilers replaced before, without all this complex digital stuff. Guess reg's may have had sth to do with that.

I bought a combi (pun alert!) light and USB 'power source' from CPC. Plus some rechargable batteries for a couple of work lights. The combi light is, I think, designed for outdoor use, but gives a really bright light for some hours. And has two output ports to recharge mobile 'devices'.. which could be used for a couple more USB piddle-power LED lamps.

So OK for reading and moving about or cooking. Albeit a tad awkward compared with not having a Tory Gov in for decades... (sigh) (1)

FWIW a powerful new laptop I got a while ago for AV file processing, TV capture, etc looks like also being useable as a TV/radio when used with VLC + a USB DVB-T2 'dongle'. Also have a USB-powered DAC it can use, and some battery powered amps/speakers or use headphones. Not necessarily hifi, but useful in a power cut.

Also have two tolerable portable radios I can use with rechargable batteries.

Hopefully, the gas fire will tide us over if we get 3hour rolling electric power outages on a timetable. (It will be a shambles if they can't timetable them so people can prepare.)

(1) I keep looking at the iamkate site and seeing just how often more of our electric power comes from 'green' sources than fossil. Was about 60% earlier today. If only the Tories didn't hate wind power so much we could have had far more green electric by now and be much less concerned about Putin's Act of War causing power cuts.

BTW yes, we have a gas cooker (and a mickywave). Also candles. I'm old enough to know better... When the Tories are in, plan for a shambles.

A good point, also made upthread if my memory serves. The immersion heater and all the electric heaters we relied on in January would be useless too. (unless one has solar panels????). I had a gas point put in next to our open fire but never installed a gas fire (which I like, having had them before). Think I'd get the chimney sweep in and start using all the wood lying around the garden first, but I have internal opposition to that idea.

Ah yes, candles, Jim. I've a drawer full in the garage and never thought they'd be useful. I remember many power outages in the past when they were essential, though.

Surely you're telling porkies there, Tony :D I really don't understand if and how a combi can replicate the vented system here. We've a power shower (though don't use the 'power' bit) which takes the hot and cold water above the bathroom and comes down again. I don't understand your 'pressure pump bit. There's no way we would want to install an electric shower with its 10mm2 radial to the c.u.

I'm learning from this thread but still can't see how a combi would be as efficient. Okay for loss of cylinder and tank removal benefits but would I need all the paraphernalia associated with updating my vented system (apart from not needing a new cylinder)?

In the eighties and nineties, combis were bad news for those I knew who had them. I'm sure things have changed but I've had new indirect boilers replaced before, without all this complex digital stuff. Guess reg's may have had sth to do with that.
Would I lie to you old bean? :)

Sorry to confuse - your power shower uses an electric pressure pump to give it heft over what would otherwise be gravity fed pressure. With a combi boiler, your hot water circuit's a direct mains feed, the mains water's heated in an exchanger & then fed directly to your hot water taps, no tanks, immediate mains pressure in both hot & cold taps. A very simple, efficient system.

Question is: How many people *don't* nowdays have either a fireplace or gas fire(s)? I fear many don't and just rely on gas central heating.

We don't have one in our Edinburgh house, so I might bring my generator down here so we can power the gas boiler if there are cuts. Our place up North has a wood burner, so that's our backup option there as it's oil fired boiler would also need electricity to run.

Question is: How many people *don't* nowdays have either a fireplace or gas fire(s)? I fear many don't and just rely on gas central heating.

I fitted a dimplex electric fireplace fire this week instead of the gas fire which had been removed recently

With a combi boiler, your hot water circuit's a direct mains feed, the mains water's heated in an exchanger & then fed directly to your hot water taps, no tanks, immediate mains pressure in both hot & cold taps. A very simple, efficient system.

Thanks Tony. I think the cold water feed to my shower is from the tank. If so, how would I adjust the temp. if only hot water from a combi? Maybe I'm wrong and it's directly from the main but that's not what I've gleaned from following the pipes in the loft. However, I guess the mains water could easily be diverted. I'm having a new shower anyway.

Magnaclean doesnt seal leaks , it is just a magnetic filter that attracts the junk in the system

Yes, I know, Phil. Maybe my text was ambiguous as I was referring to a hot flush instead of a power flush. The Magnaclean may need cleaning a few times for any crud not removed by the hot flush (or so I was told).

advertisement

Back