advertisement

What are you listening to right now #63

Status
Not open for further replies.
So who remembers Loose Tubes? So many of them are now the great and good - Django Bates, John Parricelli, Steve Berry, Ashley Slater, Steve Arguelles, Mark Lockheart, etc. Apparently recorded in a weekend funded by the Arts Council - remember them?!

yep, sure do - wasn't it all part of that Brit Jazz 'moment', when you used to go along to Ronnie Scotts, and notice folk like Paul Weller ... and David Essex (!) ... in the queue for the urinals ... !
I mean... they weren't only in using the premises for a pee (or at least I assume not), but ...

I've been streaming this via Qobuz over the past few days. Onto the fourth set this afternoon. It really is magical.

Ten or so years back I ended up buying the Cellar Door box rather than this at Tower Records in Picadilly. I quite like Cellar Door but rarely play it. I think the Plugged Nickel set was around £20 more. A mistake, anyway. I think, as I'd already got both the 80s issue double LP and Cookin' at The Plugged Nickel on vinyl I'd already have most of it.

Wayne Shorter's playing on this is fabulous. Goodness knows why Sony don't reissue it.

OIP.rBtXztFexU0QBszkQZCpsQAAAA

a chum is well into this new wave muso-funk etc stuff. Big fan of Cory Wong to the degree he's bought a 'Cory Wong' model Strat.!
keeps me supplied with links etc, as here.

I do like it. Most intrigued here by the guitars being on stands while they play ... is this a 'thing' at the moment??

yep, sure do - wasn't it all part of that Brit Jazz 'moment', when you used to go along to Ronnie Scotts, and notice folk like Paul Weller ... and David Essex (!) ... in the queue for the urinals ... !
I mean... they weren't only in using the premises for a pee (or at least I assume not), but ...

Yes it was. Most of them had just done the Guildhall Jazz course! RS’s was where I first saw them, actually - all squashed in! Great gig and superb sound.

Supergrass - Supergrass (2022 Remaster CD rip)

Huge improvement over the 1999 original to my ears, excellent album of course, might be their best imo - 'Born Again' goes to places of brilliance that I cant begin to explain:D:cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

advertisement

Back