advertisement

The Premiership of Mary Elizabeth Truss.Sept 2022 - Oct 2022

Liz does really seem to be a step further into the abyss.

DC is a fool who loves money, thought he won the Scottish indy ref by his own magic powers of Etonian-ness (I can't help but think the best thing he did was mostly step back and leave it to others) then went and bet the farm that his magic powers could extend to Brexit ref. I think he meant well but was too in love with himself and the lure of big money to know, or care, what was really on the cards.

Terresa was not up to the job of controlling the mad Brexit crew within the Tory party (who would be?) but I think knew what a bad Brexit deal was and was trying to do the impossible: Brexit without screwing NI over *too much*. I think she did try and meant well, but was doomed.

Boris is a deceitful scumbag that would sign anything, and did, to get "Brexit done" and to hell with NI, then killed 20,000 with his desire to have a party rather than lockdown, then partied all the way to the bank with his mates on covid PPE etc schemes while lieing to QEII etc etc. But still had a wife and mates to steer him straight on climate change so that he did have some attempt not to see the planet die much sooner than necessary.

Trusstercluck is more in hock to the power of money than any of them, even greedy DC, does not even have the intellect of the worst of them, and is happy to piss away the future of the planet on buying the love of the Brexit crew despite voting remain. Fracking? No oil and gas windfall tax when they really need the money for their crazy tax cuts? Not bright enough, sharp enough, or canny enough to last long in the jaws of the Tory party surely? Please God do away with this nonsense and get us a GE.

Truss makes Mogg look like Greta Thunberg.

"No 10 has blocked a public information campaign encouraging people to save energy. Jacob Rees-Mogg signed off plans for campaign with potential £15m budget in recent days. No 10 rejected it today amid claims Truss is ideologically opposed" https://twitter.com/Steven_Swinford/status/1578135758040403971

Saving energy in the face of a coming energy crisis is woke. :rolleyes:

No. In what way would it be?

Thanks. Glad I don't read it, the man is writing nonsense. Why would anyone take as gospel the word of a political editor when it comes to saving energy? The 'campaign' was poorly thought through and would have been a waste of money. Good decision to bin it.

@Brian

The claim in the article (haven't read it tho) appears to be that the LQ is idealogically opposed to. . .

a. plebs saving energy (gotta keep those 'home fires' burning; otherwise reduced profits for energy 'corps')
b. J.R. Smogg signing off on spending from the public purse cuz J.R. Smogg.

Either way, the LQ's puppet masters have her pushing rampant privatisation cuz the 'corps' is all that matters.

To wit: can't afford to pay? - then fvck off and die.

It's just the way Tory Scum do business.

John

The government don’t forget, collects VAT on gas and electricity and 5% of a vast amount is a vast amount. Also Mogg’s clients and the Tufton St boys will be heavily invested in the sector. Ching ching.

I’m not confident that I understand the terms but this may be relevant

they seem to put it down to something to do with students and something to do with lots of people on the sick long term.

As someone who recently has been through the process of becoming one of the long term sick, I can tell you that it is *extremely* difficult to join this group. Altogether it has taken me over 18 months to get my various benefits approved despite me being by any reasonable assessment seriously and very obviously disabled. The whole process is difficult, exhausting and confrontational and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I simply refuse to believe there are significant numbers of people getting through this process illegitimately.

On the opposite side we have many years of underinvestment in our health service and have just had a major pandemic with many long term effects. This seems by far the most obvious reason for the rise in the long term sick.

PS I should add that although it sucks to be ill, I am very much one of the lucky ones amongst this cohort. I have a cheap life and own my home and overall have a pretty good, if dull, life.

Have you stopped working, Matthew? Hope you're doing o.k. Patrick

Sadly, yes. I left work in March 2021 and have moved back up North where I live with my parents. This is not great but on the plus side if you live in a pleasant (but economically defunct) part of rural Lancashire where you can get a huge 5 bedroom detached house with a large garden and green and pleasant views. And there is even enough space that my parents and I have each has our own "wing" as it were.

As someone who recently has been through the process of becoming one of the long term sick, I can tell you that it is *extremely* difficult to join this group. Altogether it has taken me over 18 months to get my various benefits approved despite me being by any reasonable assessment seriously and very obviously disabled. The whole process is difficult, exhausting and confrontational and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. I simply refuse to believe there are significant numbers of people getting through this process illegitimately.

On the opposite side we have many years of underinvestment in our health service and have just had a major pandemic with many long term effects. This seems by far the most obvious reason for the rise in the long term sick.

PS I should add that although it sucks to be ill, I am very much one of the lucky ones amongst this cohort. I have a cheap life and own my home and overall have a pretty good, if dull, life.
Well said Matthew. I'm glad you got the benefits you're entitled to.

I know exactly how hard it is because my partner has to periodically reapply for her benefits, despite having been too ill to work for over thirty years. Since she also suffers from anxiety, it's a gruelling experience for her, every time.

It's a cruel and inhumane system that is more about terrorising and demoralising people than helping them.

Well said Matthew. I'm glad you got the benefits you're entitled to.

I know exactly how hard it is because my partner has to periodically reapply for her benefits, despite having been too ill to work for over thirty years. Since she also suffers from anxiety, it's a gruelling experience for her, every time.

It's a cruel and inhumane system that is more about terrorising and demoralising people than helping them.
My (high functioning) autistic brother is in a similar position. He's not long term sick, but in receipt of various disability allowances which are no longer available to new applicants. His condition makes it hard for him to hold down a job (he's very sensitive to bullying or confrontation, and his job puts him in contact with the public so guess what...), He's constantly worried that if (as the DWP would like) he were to increase his hours beyond the maximum allowed while in receipt of these benefits, and thereby reduce his entitlement, if things went wrong (which is not unlikely) he'd be left without the financial support he relies on. He is therefore trapped on benefits, unable to work beyond the 15 hours or so permitted by the rules.

Indeed. Conservatives: the party of punching downwards. The poor, the homeless, the disabled, the mentally ill, refugees, trans folk etc etc are all marketable commodities to vilify, scapegoat and distract away from the grift and criminality within the party itself and its elite donors. Same story with the Republican Party.

I used to do Social Security Appeals representation in the 90s, early 2000s. Especially DLA and AA but also Incapacity Benefit up to and including SS Commissioner level where appeal decisions are appealed. At that stage the possibility of entitlement was still there but stymied by BAMS doctors awful decision making. It was nasty then but the pointer has gone right of the nastiometer scale now.

We used buzzwords, when filling out initial applications, that helped adjudicating officers tick the appropriate crib boxes. You could say exactly the same thing in real English but that wouldn't trigger an appropriate response in the same Pavlovian way. I am well out of that business now.

Last edited:
Some prominent Tories calling for their party to remove Truss on Twitter today.

Nick Timothy, saying only MPs can save the Tories from libertarianism.

David Gauke calling on MPs to install Sunak without a membership vote.

Reasonably enough, Gauke seems to fear that, if they had the chance, the membership would re-elect Johnson. That's a bad place to be in.

Indeed. Conservatives: the party of punching downwards. The poor, the homeless, the disabled, the mentally ill, refugees, trans folk etc etc are all marketable commodities to vilify, scapegoat and distract away from the grift and criminality within the party itself and its elite donors. Same story with the Republican Party.

Which makes it so sad that such a large percentage of both of our countries vote for the Tories / GOP. Both parties thrive on fear and cruelty.

Wishing all the best to Matthew and the many other folk that should be supported by a society that wants to call itself civilized.

Which makes it so sad that such a large percentage of both of our countries vote for the Tories / GOP. Both parties thrive on fear and cruelty.

I’ll repost this here. Matthew introduced it on a recent thread, the Trump one I think, and to my mind it is essential viewing:

It is a fairly long multi-part series detailing exactly the enemy we are up against and how it structures its arguments, how it has grabbed control of what was in the past the mainstream political right (it is now something else entirely), and how it ends up defining and framing the whole discourse by moving the goalposts. If this wasn’t so dangerous it would be a fascinating insight into human nature. We are now sadly way, way beyond the academic argument phase and are being led directly into fascism. It is here in the UK, it is in America, it is in Italy. It has unquestionably arrived and there is very little time left to remove it IMHO. This series certainly helps pick apart the various techniques by which it arrived and by which it is increasing its stranglehold. I’d advise anyone with even the slightest interest in modern politics to follow the series through to the end and use it as a springboard for further research. Given the extent of gaslighting understanding where we actually are is an essential first step!

Sturgeon says lack of contact from Liz Truss 'absurd'

Source: BBC

Scotland's first minister has said she has still not had a phone call with Liz Truss more than a month after she became prime minister.
A spokesman for Mr Drakeford, also confirmed he had not had a call from Liz Truss either and said there was "nothing scheduled."

Trade Minister Conor Burns has had the whip withdrawn after accusations of “serious misconduct” at the Tory conference (Sky). Not sure exactly what he was caught doing, but it looks serious given the Tories usually keep real shit in place until doing so is clearly untenable. Very rare to see an instant suspension.

advertisement

Back