advertisement

Ban on petrol and diesel cars from 2030

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that electric prices have happened to sky rocket just as we're getting a ways down the path to EV adoption. Never saw that coming. Although I'm surprised the government haven't waded in yet wanting their slice.

Well, they promised that they could have cut VAT on energy after Brexit, but they didn't' S'funny that.

And then charges to use ICEs in towns and cities go up n up, and so an EV is the only feasible choice.

We will! But for you to be right, first the price of electricity needs to come down fast or there will be a ton of unsold cars. This alone could completely stuff it up....2 years of this and it's probably over. The press are already on it, it's the kind of story that flies, everyone guffawing at the idiot that paid 30 odd grand for a car that costs more to fuel than an ICE car.
Nope. As Tony says they will tax ICE cars off the road and it will be EV or walk. It's already happening in Bradford. Clean air zone, at present only taxis and buses/hgv. No private car taxes yet. The only fly that I can see in that soup is that Bradford is a dump and nobody wants to go there before they impose a charge, let alone after.

Bristol's Class D (tax everything ) emissions zone comes into force 28th November.

Look at the boundary map, and it's an utter landgrab for taxation, rather than addressing where the emissions / transit time issues are. Oh, and it cuts off thousands of poorly paid key-workers from the city centre hospitals, fire station - the unexamined fact being the detail of the way in which it will affect those least able to afford to adjust, is horrific as a result of the historical geography (all roads lead to centre, vs River which cuts city in two but no available bridge to public traffic) vs. no alternative but the meagre half-an-inner ring road - all of the last is of course 'captured.'

Oh - as is the train station so no where outside the zone to park in well over 2miles radius - in fact the only alternative is Brislington park& ride, 30m mins each way & c £4 rtn. )

Then again, I know of several large developers etc that simply will not do work within a large radius of the city, haven't in a decade - because transit times (by any method) were long-found a total waste of company time overall.

That be Brizzle.

Bristol's Class D (tax everything ) emissions zone comes into force 28th November.

Look at the boundary map, and it's an utter landgrab for taxation, rather than addressing where the emissions / transit time issues are. Oh, and it cuts off thousands of poorly paid key-workers from the city centre hospitals, fire station - the unexamined fact being the detail of the way in which it will affect those least able to afford to adjust, is horrific as a result of the historical geography (all roads lead to centre, vs River which cuts city in two but no available bridge to public traffic) vs. no alternative but the meagre half-an-inner ring road - all of the last is of course 'captured.'

Oh - as is the train station so no where outside the zone to park in well over 2miles radius - in fact the only alternative is Brislington park& ride, 30m mins each way & c £4 rtn. )

Then again, I know of several large developers etc that simply will not do work within a large radius of the city, haven't in a decade - because transit times (by any method) were long-found a total waste of company time overall.

That be Brizzle.

Just like London then. You can't drive a 2014 318d w/out paying but you can drive a 2008 6.0 Bentley W12. Bonkers.

Nope. As Tony says they will tax ICE cars off the road and it will be EV or walk. It's already happening in Bradford. Clean air zone, at present only taxis and buses/hgv. No private car taxes yet. The only fly that I can see in that soup is that Bradford is a dump and nobody wants to go there before they impose a charge, let alone after.
Lots of places outside the stupid clean air zones.
ICE will still be going for decades. They won’t dare tax them out of existence.

It's been heavily restricted in Strasbourg for years to the point where you are not allowed to bring any car in at all, ie if you have a certain number type you are only allowed in on Mondays eg, but this is only in the centre. There's still loads of cars. It won't deter people if it is only in city centres. And that is what you are suggesting.

So in summmary,it's nope back at ya!

Exactly, if they try to ban them from main roads and motorways, the govenment will be gone at the next election.

until 2035 anyway, then they are gone (at least new ones)

You (and rischardg) should realise that you are part of the older generation who are set in their ways, younger people have very different views to you.

elecrtic cars are already better thsn ice cars in so many ways, and will only get better as time goes on.

Only in Britain where the privatised energy suppliers are out of control.

'Only' in the whole of EU, I'm afraid. Infrastructure has been handed over to 'the market'. This morning the price is roughly 300p / kWH where I live, even that is a bit on the low side. So, sanity still prevails in Switzerland?

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that electric prices have happened to sky rocket just as we're getting a ways down the path to EV adoption. Never saw that coming. Although I'm surprised the government haven't waded in yet wanting their slice.
Yep, thought this for a while, too much of a coincidence. At one point it was roughly a quarter of the cost to charge an EV up, I just knew the government(s) wouldn’t allow the loss in taxes this would bring when we all move to EV’s.

Exactly, if they try to ban them from main roads and motorways, the govenment will be gone at the next election.
They don't need to ban them from motorways, what are you going to do when you arrive at work or home in the charging zone? Won't affect you? Maybe. But it will affect enough that they are forced to sell their cars and t his takes IC cars out of circulation. It won't remove them all. Sure, who cares? There will be a few oldies still burning fuel. Yes, let them. Outliers can safely be disregarded. It's like the process of evolution. You apply a pressure and the population drifts. They don't all have to change overnight, and frankly the few who think that opposing thumbs won't ever catch on can be ignored.

They don't need to ban them from motorways, what are you going to do when you arrive at work or home in the charging zone? Won't affect you? Maybe. But it will affect enough that they are forced to sell their cars and t his takes IC cars out of circulation.

Come and have a look at what's happening here.....plenty of people centre-ville sans voiture, plenty of cars on the town perimeters. It's running fine.

You also seem to think that the government can control the pace and direction of technology. It can't. When the download / stream equivalent of car technology arrives, electric cars will look like CDs. And then they are goosed. It's coming in the next 15 years.

You also seem to think that the government can control the pace and direction of technology. It can't. When the download / stream equivalent of car technology arrives, electric cars will look like CDs. And then they are goosed. It's coming in the next 15 years.

So electric cars will be gaining in popularity?

So electric cars will be gaining in popularity?
They already are, aren't they? The energy crisis is a concern though, right?

I'm just saying the product life cycle will be short. And I don't mean each individual car, I mean the sector life cycle.

Yep, thought this for a while, too much of a coincidence. At one point it was roughly a quarter of the cost to charge an EV up, I just knew the government(s) wouldn’t allow the loss in taxes this would bring when we all move to EV’s.
I don't buy this argument. Electricity prices are rising either because they are pegged to gas, or the electricity is generated from gas. This isn't just a UK phenomenon (Guardian article on US prices in March 22), which means that the 'deliberate rises' theory would require a global governmental conspiracy. I'm not convinced. For me the evidence suggests that electricity price rises are a result of commodity inflation, nothing more.

Why? It's the diesel BMW engine that produces the carcinogenic particualtes, not the Bentley.
But the Bentley produces around 4x the climate-damaging CO2 of the BMW, especially un urban areas where the LEZs are active. If the political priorities were different, it'd be the Bentley that was hammered.

Why? It's the diesel BMW engine that produces the carcinogenic particualtes, not the Bentley.

But if you're worried about air quality, what about all the extra CO2, NOx and unburnt fuel? What about the particulates from tyres and brakes? I'm not suggesting the Bentley is 'Better' it's just we seem to worry about one element of exhausts (and favouring some cars as a result) and then, then years later realsising it's now another component...

advertisement

Back