advertisement

Graham Audio Chartwell LS3/5a or Stirling Broadcast LS3/5a v2 or v3

Max Zappa

Hi

Has anyone been lucky enough to own or listen to the modern LS3/5a offerings listed above? If so what are the differences and which one would you prefer. I have checked previous posts and can find no clear consensus, but I would be interested to know if anyone has kept any of them for the long haul, or not been happy at all with any of them.

Hi. I've owned a number of LS3/5As, from Rogers on, through Richard Allans to Spendors. The Stirling V2s are lovely. Of all LS3/5As I'd just buy on finish now I think, oak is very nice. In my humble etc. I'd say the amplifier is more important than variety - I'd say powerful valve from US or a less powerful triode amplifier at least, cost no object.

I have heard the Chartwells and own the Stirling V2's.

The Chartwells were one of the first LS3/5a's i heard, and mighty fine they were.

But this was some time ago and with a different system so i couldn't directly tell you if they were better than the Stirlings.
Both speakers excelled on the usual LS3/5a strengths of exceptional midband and both had me captivated for hours at a time. When the source and recording allowed
the timbre of certain instruments was uncanny and the way the music sounds so cohesive are present with both.

Possibly the Chartwells had a slightly better mid but the Stirlings had a tighter sound and better bass response, but that could just be audio memory fooling me.

I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Sorry i just realised i misread your title. The Chartwells i heard were an original design and not the current offering from Graham audio.
Would be interested to hear if Graham's take on this classic speaker are better or different ?

In any case my points still stand as a general LS3/5a comparison.

Hi

Has anyone been lucky enough to own or listen to the modern LS3/5a offerings listed above? If so what are the differences and which one would you prefer. I have checked previous posts and can find no clear consensus, but I would be interested to know if anyone has kept any of them for the long haul, or not been happy at all with any of them.

Are you not able to listen for yourself?
Relying on others when each of us prefers different things can't be at all helpful.

Doug changed the driver on the V2 years ago and it's not the same. The V3 is too expensive.

The best buy, by far, in an 'LS3/5a' type speaker these days is the Falcon Q7. They're nine inches deep instead of six and that gives them more dynamics, more bass and a smoother overall frequency response. They still have the amazing midrange and soundstage the LS3/5a is famous for. They're a lot cheaper than the V3, too.

Paying over three grand for an LS3/5a type speaker... it's a little hard to recommend.

Doug changed the driver on the V2 years ago and it's not the same. The V3 is too expensive.

The best buy, by far, in an 'LS3/5a' type speaker these days is the Falcon Q7. They're nine inches deep instead of six and that gives them more dynamics, more bass and a smoother overall frequency response. They still have the amazing midrange and soundstage the LS3/5a is famous for. They're a lot cheaper than the V3, too.

Paying over three grand for an LS3/5a type speaker... it's a little hard to recommend.
Yes, I've read a bit about the Falcon Q7 and its certainly one to consider, if I choose not to go down the pure ls3/5a route.

Thanks

Are you not able to listen for yourself?
Relying on others when each of us prefers different things can't be at all helpful.
If a general consensus suggests that one speaker is preferred over another, then I consider that helpful, regardless of ones own preferences. But I take your point.

Also, if all we did was go and listen to stuff the Audio Room would have about three posts a week. Two of those being ‘go and listen for yourself’.

I emailed Rogers today asking about prices on their LS3/5a's.

Four and five thousand dollars. They are out of their freaking minds..

Guy told me their drivers are hand made by Andy Whittle. If you believe that I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

If you believe that I've got a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Well said! As per a poster above, I think the current offerings are all so similar (not necessarily better or worse, just subtly different) that you may be better served by buying based on price and finish.

I've never been too much of an LS3/5A guy, but I once heard a pair of s/h Stirling V2s I believe, and still regret not having bought them.

advertisement

Back