advertisement

Ban on petrol and diesel cars from 2030

My one and only strategic career decision, likely formed even before I went to Uni (having watched my father commute daily to City finance) was...not to work in London.

Since when yes, I have designed & delivered & worked on projects in London: but no, not ever lived&worked there.
V happy with my retained principle.

It's a great city, and a fab place to visit; and I'm always so glad to leave it asap; to be ...home.

Think it’s worth a thread resurrection:

Average cost of public charging an EV is now more expensive than filling up with diesel.

https://www.parkers.co.uk/electric-cars/electric-charging-infrastructure-uk/

Obviously charging at home is cheaper, but, still, bit of a kerfuffle isn’t it.
I posted on the gas & electricity prices thread a few days ago that, at the new capped domestic electricity rates, an EV which does a typical 3-4 miles per kWh will cost something over 12 pence per mile, for fuel, which is more than most modern diesel cars cost.

Obviously that’s not the only reason people like EVs, but at a stroke you’ve removed a key selling point for all private buyers who can’t benefit from the business BIK savings.

You haven’t removed it at all. Everyone I know, bar one, with an EV has solar panels and battery storage. A mate who works on the tube at night, engineering hours, has a Kia EV that gets him from Suffolk to wherever he’s needed, every night, for free so far, and very cheaply this coming winter.

Also remember that most car journeys are quite short, so don’t even need a fully charged battery.

I posted on the gas & electricity prices thread a few days ago that, at the new capped domestic electricity rates, an EV which does a typical 3-4 miles per kWh will cost something over 12 pence per mile, for fuel, which is more than most modern diesel cars cost.

Obviously that’s not the only reason people like EVs, but at a stroke you’ve removed a key selling point for all private buyers who can’t benefit from the business BIK savings.
Biggest stumbling block for me is the initial cost of them, they’re horrendously expensive.

Only in Britain where the privatised energy suppliers are out of control. Here it cost us about £8 to charge our car at home which gives us about 400km of driving with our rather thirsty electric car.

Our electricity prices are set annually, in 2022 they went up about 6% and in 2023 they will be going up 19%. A far cry from the ridiculous price increases seen in the UK.

Only in Britain where the privatised energy suppliers are out of control. Here it cost us about £8 to charge our car at home which gives us about 400km of driving with our rather thirsty electric car.

Our electricity prices are set annually, in 2022 they went up about 6% and in 2023 they will be going up 19%. A far cry from the ridiculous price increases seen in the UK.
How much, in U.K. Sterling if you can, do you pay for a kWh of electricity?

Biggest stumbling block for me is the initial cost of them, they’re horrendously expensive.

You’re not the only one! It seems to me that car manufacturers are getting a HUGE chunk of our money, willingly, for what is just a means of getting from A to B. They have marketed their products incredibly and build some beautiful machines, but I can’t wait for the day when I don’t actually own a car, and just Uber one to come to me when needed.

what with the financial decline and interest rates, all those that have used either the low interest rates, or their own companies to buy a new electric car might be wanting to get rid and pay their more expensive mortgages instead…!

You haven’t removed it at all. Everyone I know, bar one, with an EV has solar panels and battery storage. A mate who works on the tube at night, engineering hours, has a Kia EV that gets him from Suffolk to wherever he’s needed, every night, for free so far, and very cheaply this coming winter.

Also remember that most car journeys are quite short, so don’t even need a fully charged battery.
Removed it for me. No way would I consider an electric car now. Particularly as France is also subsidising / not taxing ethanol at LPG proportions, it's only 69 cents here. And the conversion is 300 quid.

I've always thought that electric cars will last about as long as cds.....the supposed fab new technology that gets the rug pulled from under its feet.

11p per kWh off peak between 9 am and 5am and weekends, 22p peak times. We only charge during off peak times.

Ours is day unit rate up from 32.985p to 38.593p per kWh and our night unit rate up from 19.520p to 22.838p per kWh. Our electricity standing charge has increased from 38.004p to 39.027p per day.

Quite a difference. Thankfully my large estate does 45mpg with its petrol engine. I can manage that easily.

11p per kWh off peak between 9 am and 5am and weekends, 22p peak times. We only charge during off peak times.

Our standard rates in San Diego are much higher, 39.2c / kWh up to a baseline then 49.5c after that - a total rip off. Luckily we have solar so that keeps our overall cost down.

My large petrol estate managed 43mpg last week which is more than good enough for me.
My Merc dealer has several showrooms. 3 new cars in stock for the whole group. 2 of them electric, £119K each!

Heard today that my Polestar EV has been delayed for six months due to supply chain issues..... Ah well

I'm shocked, shocked I tell you, that electric prices have happened to sky rocket just as we're getting a ways down the path to EV adoption. Never saw that coming. Although I'm surprised the government haven't waded in yet wanting their slice.

i think you are mistaken, but we will see.
We will! But for you to be right, first the price of electricity needs to come down fast or there will be a ton of unsold cars. This alone could completely stuff it up....2 years of this and it's probably over. The press are already on it, it's the kind of story that flies, everyone guffawing at the idiot that paid 30 odd grand for a car that costs more to fuel than an ICE car.

advertisement

Back